Subject: [hybi] WebSocket Subprotocol Close Code: Bad Gateway

From: Johan de Vries <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 16:53:05 +0200

Hello,

I would like to reserve a status code much akin to HTTP's 502 Bad Gateway.

The description would be the same as for 502: The server was acting as a
gateway or proxy and received an invalid response from the upstream server.

My motivation is that I'm implementing an application that allows a website
to connect to a server over WebSockets (much like Guacamole does). It would
be useful to be able to indicate when a proxy error occurs to the client.

I'm not sure what range this should be in, so I'm not claiming a number. I
think it's generic enough to warrant the next number in the list (1016?)
but again I'm not sure about how this part works.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Johan de Vries

Wivion bv
Vierlingsbeekseweg 52A | NL-5825 AX  Overloon
www.wivion.nl

---

From: Adam Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 20:13:28 +0900

I can see how that might be useful.

RFC 6455 section 11.7 provides for adding new status codes. See
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6455#section-11.7 and
http://www.iana.org/assignments/websocket/websocket.xhtml#close-code-number

On 8 September 2016 at 23:53, Johan de Vries <[email-masked]> wrote:

> My motivation is that I'm implementing an application that allows a
> website to connect to a server over WebSockets (much like Guacamole does).
> It would be useful to be able to indicate when a proxy error occurs to the
> client.
>
> _______________________________________________
> hybi mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hybi
>
>

---

From: Johan de Vries <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 08:27:18 +0200

I'm sorry, maybe I misunderstood.

In the provided links I couldn't find anything about how to request such a
reservation, except this mailing list. Is this not the right place to
request it?

Met vriendelijke groet,

Johan de Vries

Wivion bv

2016-09-12 13:13 GMT+02:00 Adam Rice <[email-masked]>:

> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6455#section-11.7 and http://www.iana.org/
> assignments/websocket/websocket.xhtml#close-code-number
>
>> I'm not sure what range this should be in, so I'm not claiming a number.
>> I think it's generic enough to warrant the next number in the list (1016?)

---

From: Adam Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 16:54:07 +0900

I think this list is the right place, but since the working group has
closed you may have trouble attracting enough discussion to have consensus.

This appears to be the link from the last time it happened:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg09670.html

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 10:49:05 +0200

Hi,

> On 15 Sep 2016, at 09:54, Adam Rice <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I think this list is the right place, but since the working group has closed you may have trouble attracting enough discussion to have consensus.
> 
> This appears to be the link from the last time it happened: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg09670.html

I am the designated expert for this registry:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/websocket/websocket.xhtml#close-code-number

So I will help with getting this registered. But this might take a few days, currently travelling.

>> In the provided links I couldn't find anything about how to request such a reservation, except this mailing list. Is this not the right place to request it?
>> 
>> Met vriendelijke groet,
>>  
>> Johan de Vries
>>  
>> Wivion bv
>>> RFC 6455 section 11.7 provides for adding new status codes. See  https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6455#section-11.7 and http://www.iana.org/assignments/websocket/websocket.xhtml#close-code-number
>>> 
>>>> The description would be the same as for 502: The server was acting as a gateway or proxy and received an invalid response from the upstream server.
>>>> 
>>>> My motivation is that I'm implementing an application that allows a website to connect to a server over WebSockets (much like Guacamole does). It would be useful to be able to indicate when a proxy error occurs to the client.
>>>> 
>>>> I'm not sure what range this should be in, so I'm not claiming a number. I think it's generic enough to warrant the next number in the list (1016?) but again I'm not sure about how this part works.
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> Met vriendelijke groet,
>>>>  
>>>> Johan de Vries
>>>>  
>>>> Wivion bv