Subject: [I18nrp] background reading

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 14:27:50 -0600

Folks, you might have noticed some "background reading" on the agenda:

RFC 6365: Terminology Used in Internationalization in the IETF
RFC 5890: Internationalized Domain Names for Applications (IDNA)
RFC 8264: PRECIS Framework
RFC 3629: UTF-8
Unicode: https://www.unicode.org/versions/latest/

If you are new to internationalization, those documents will give you a
sense of the terminology and basic concepts that will be flying around
the room on Monday.

However, some other I-Ds and recent RFCs are representative of both
challenges we face and recent successes.

The LAMPS WG, which produced RFCs 8398 and 8399, is an example of
successful review (triggered by an early request for i18n assistance):

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc8398/
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc8399/

Documents we've struggled to make progress on recently (and which
largely motivated this BoF) include:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-faltstrom-unicode11/
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-freytag-troublesome-characters/
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-klensin-idna-5892upd-unicode70/
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-klensin-idna-rfc5891bis/

The following IAB statements about internationalized domain names and
Unicode are also relevant (and related to several of the documents just
listed):

https://www.iab.org/documents/correspondence-reports-documents/2015-2/iab-statement-on-identifiers-and-unicode-7-0-0/

https://www.iab.org/documents/correspondence-reports-documents/2018-2/iab-statement-on-identifiers-and-unicode/

Peter