Subject: [I2nsf] Things WG asked the problem-statement Use Case to cover

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 09:59:19 -0500

Hi all: 

Based on the number of vacation responses I received when I sent email last
night, I suspect that many of you are on vacation or starting your vacation
early in the week.  

I wish all a joyous, safe, and peaceful Christmas and New Year. 

Based on the fact many of you are on vacation, I uploaded a merge of the
problem statements and the use cases in
draft-hares-i2nsf-merged-problem-use-cases.  This combination of problem and
use cases provides a good summary of the terrific work people have done.  In
contrast, gap analysis provides substantial background.  

The authors ask the I2NSF WG to adopt this document.  

As part of the adoption process, the authors would like the WG to consider
whether the authors covered the following issues suggested at IETF below:  

1.       New standardized APIs (e.g. RESTful APIs) and capabilities are
needed   

(Ed Lopez) 

2.       Standardized Capabilities and Interface should enable Policy
Validation (LuYung Fang) and Policy verification (John Strassner), Policy
combinations (Diego Lopez), Policy comparison with customer's security
intent (or customer security expectations).   

3.       Standardized Capabilities and Interfaces should enable security
orchestration. (Dobbins) 

Should add additional detail to cover the following things: 

1.       For Cloud Providers, there are virtual security functions within my
cloud, there are also virtual security function services that cloud
providers provide to their client. Virtual Security Functions vs cloud
provider: I hope we cover both including cloud-based security service. I.e.
security for cloud and security provided by cloud (LuYuan Fang)

2.       Sensitive  data going into hosted environments connected to the
Internet (not public clouds) (Kathleen Moriarty) 

3.       Use of Stateful filters (Dean Bogdanovic),  details on what use
case requires these filters (Jamal), and  what happens when stateful filters
cannot be supported (Jamal).  

4.       Security policy that covers Symmetric vs asynchronous nature of the
data. 

Sue Hares and co-authors.