Subject: Re: [I2nsf] Opsdir telechat review of draft-ietf-i2nsf-framework-08

From: John Strassner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 07:06:30 -0800

Dear Carlos,

thank you for performing this review. All of your issues will be addressed
in version 9 of this I-D, to be released on Monday 11/13. In particular,
the bullet points in section 5 have been justified.

They were:

   o  Narrowly define NSF categories, or their roles, when implemented
      within a network
   o  Attempt to impose functional requirements or constraints, either
      directly or indirectly, upon NSF developers
   o  Be a limited lowest common denominator approach, where interfaces
      can only support a limited set of standardized functions, without
      allowing for developer-specific functions
   o  Be seen as endorsing a best common practice for the implementation
      of NSFs; rather, this document describes the conceptual structure
      and reference model of I2NSF

They are now:

     o  Narrowly define NSF categories, or their roles, when implemented
      within a network. Security is a constantly evolving discipline.
      The I2NSF framework relies on an object-oriented information
      model, which provides an extensible definition of NSF information
      elements and categories; it is recommended that implementations
      follow this model.
   o  Attempt to impose functional requirements or constraints, either
      directly or indirectly, upon NSF developers. Implementations
      should be free to realize  and apply NSFs in a way that best
      suits the needs of the applications and environment using them.
   o  Be a limited lowest common denominator approach, where interfaces
      can only support a limited set of standardized functions, without
      allowing for developer-specific functions. NSFs, interfaces, and
      the data communicated should be extensible, so that they can
      evolve to protect against new threats.
   o  Be seen as endorsing a best common practice for the implementation
      of NSFs; rather, this document describes the conceptual structure
      and reference model of I2NSF. The purpose of this reference model
      is to define a common set of concepts in order to facilitate the
      flexible implementation of an I2NSF system.

best regards,
John

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 6:55 PM, Carlos Martinez <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Reviewer: Carlos Martinez
> Review result: Ready
>
> I have reviewed this document as part of the Operational directorate's
> ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.
> These
> comments were written with the intent of improving the operational aspects
> of
> the IETF drafts. Comments that are not addressed in last call may be
> included
> in AD reviews during the IESG review.  Document editors and WG chairs
> should
> treat these comments just like any other last call comments.
>
> Overall I've found this document to be READY. I do believe that some parts'
> readability could be improved however, particularly Section 5. This section
> describes some principles a potential implementation of the spec should
> follow
> but provides little or no justification for them. I believe additional text
> could help.
>
> Thank you to the authors for their great work!
>
> Carlos
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> I2nsf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i2nsf
>

-- 
regards,
John