Subject: [Ibnemo] Policies and Intent-Based Networking

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 08:49:06 -0400

Hi all: 

Can all policies be expressed an Intent?   I'm trying to determine what
policies can or cannot be expressed.  Any example would be helpful.

Here's three policies I'd like to discuss: 

1)      Traffic flow policies   

2)      BGP policies for route flow 

3)      Policy filters controlling routes, 

I'm working on the I2RS extensions for Filter-Based RIB and BGP (normal and
flow filters).    The I2RS Filter-based RIB allow for policies for routing
(forwarding a layer 3) to be associated with a set of interfaces.   For
example, 

Forwarding filter 1:  128.2/16 nexthop 128.2.1.1     

Forwarding filters 2:   128.5.1/24 nexthop 128.2.1.2  

And the rest get forwarded to the default RIB which 

                  128/8  nexthop 128.2.1.3 

The intent  is that customer 1 has 128.2/16, and customer 2 has 128.5.1/24.
This node links to these VPNs via 128.2.1.1 (customer1), and 128.2.1.2
(customer 3).  All other traffic goes to the Internet. 

How do I link this to the normal example of Intent?   Can we render intent
down to this level or should I be using a higher level? 

Sue Hares