Subject: [iccrg] Information on Initial Spreading

From: renaud sallantin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 11:06:10 -0500

Dear all,

We just received your responses to the short presentation Michael Welzl did
in the last ICCRG meeting, and would like to thank you.
Reading your comments, we would like to specify some points about Initial
Spreading and notably the main differences with the Pacing.

 We limit the spreading to the IW because it has been shown that the Pacing
downgrades the long lived flows performance.
*Understanding the Performance of TCP Pacing, Amit Aggarwal, Stefan Savage,
and Thomas Anderson.  IEEE INFOCOM 2000 Conference on Computer
Communications, March 2000, pages 1157 - 1165. *

Unlike Pacing, we use a bounded spreading time. This enables two major
improvements:

   -

   The performance is not mitigated by a wrong RTT measurement
   -

   The performance remains good for all kind of network.

 For example, considering a long latency,  we use a spreading time
sufficient to not suffer from the bursts but small enough to not add an
unnecessary delay. In case of short latency, we use the regular pacing time
(RTT/IW)

You can find further details here:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sallantin-tcpm-initial-spreading-00

 We are really interested in receiving your feedback.

Regards,
Renaud Sallantin

 PS : We are not sure if we should continue this discussion on the ICCRG
list or (and) in the TCPM list?