Subject: [iccrg] [CfP] 1st International Workshop on Smart Manufacturing Modeling and Analysis [SM²N]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 08:54:39 -0500

==============================================================

Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this Call for Papers

==============================================================

SM²N

1st International Workshop on Smart Manufacturing Modeling and Analysis
https://synercys.github.io/sm2n/
co-located with CPS-IoT week 2019
April 15-18, 2019
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Today’s manufacturing paradigm is in the midst of a
transformation towards smart manufacturing, driven by the generation and
analysis of high-volume data coming from interconnected cyber-physical
components. This has necessitated an advancement in a number of the tenets of
smart manufacturing such as Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT), Artificial
Intelligence (AI), anomaly detection, security of industrial plants, novel
communication infrastructures, etc. Among the many Smart Manufacturing tenets, a
“digital twin” (DT) represents an opportunity to leverage existing
and emerging technologies in modeling, simulation, and emulation – to
improve quality, productivity, and the ability to customize and reduce energy
consumption and waste. While DTs might help address many key performance and
effectiveness metrics in manufacturing, however, the science needs to be better
understood in terms of definitions, capabilities, metrics, technical challenges
and potential solutions. There exist some academic and industry efforts that aim
to tackle this problem, but more is required. In addition, digital twins are
just one way to model these type of systems; to improve the overall design,
efficiency and even security of future manufacturing systems, there is a need
for new science that can capture/explain their behavior and new tools for
modeling them.

In this workshop, we intend to bring together
multidisciplinary researchers and engineers (from academia, industry, as well as
standards organizations) from a broad range of fields (manufacturing, control,
cyber-security, networking) to provide an overview of the latest advances in the
modeling and analysis of smart manufacturing systems. This area (smart
manufacturing and especially modeling/analysis) has not received much focus but
is an important area, not just from the research perspective but also from
societal impacts. It includes all the elements of a classic cyber-physical
systems domain, in addition to IoT (industrial IoT).

********Topics
of interest********
The areas of focus for the workshop are (broadly
defined but not limited to these):- What is a digital twin? What are the minimum
requirements of any DT? Other there other modeling techniques/technologies that
can be used?
- What is the role of such modeling frameworks in
cyber-physical manufacturing systems?
- What are the metrics, if any, to
evaluate the quality and the results produced from DTs and other modeling
frameworks?
- Can the DTs and/or other modeling frameworks be integrated
with each other? Is there a need for more than one such solution in a system?
Can we create frameworks where more than one can co-exist?
- What are
example case studies and success of the use of DTs and other such
technologies?
- How can security-specific applications such as anomaly
detection be enabled by such modeling and analysis efforts? What other security
problems exist?
- Do areas such as machine learning better enable the
development/use of DTs and other modeling/analysis frameworks?

********Important Dates********
Paper submission deadline: Jan 31,
2019
Notification of acceptance: Feb 8, 2019
Final (camera-ready)
papers due: Feb 14, 2019
Timezone for submissions: Anywhere on Earth

********Submission Guideline********
All papers must be original
and not simultaneously submitted to another journal or conference. The following
paper categories are welcome:
Papers describing original research in the
area of security and privacy for Internet-of-Things (IoT).
Submissions
limited to four, two column, pages
Template:https://www.ieee.org/conferences_events/conferences/publishing/templates.html
Submission site: https://sm2n2019.hotcrp.com

********Organizers********
Kira Barton, University of Michigan Ann
Arbor
Sibin Mohan, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC)