Subject: [icnrg] Fwd: [IRTF-Announce] Fwd: Call For Papers: IoT Semantic Interoperability Workshop

From: Dirk Kutscher <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 08:26:49 +0000

Possibly of interest to ICN IoT folks...

--
Dirk

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E‑Mail:

Von: "Eggert, Lars" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Datum: 10. Dezember 2015 um 09:15:59 MEZ
An: "[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Betreff: [IRTF-Announce] Fwd: Call For Papers: IoT Semantic Interoperability Workshop

Begin forwarded message:

From: IAB Executive Administrative Manager <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: Call For Papers: IoT Semantic Interoperability Workshop
Date: December 9, 2015 at 19:26:18 GMT+1
To: "IETF Announcement List" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

IoT Semantic Interoperability Workshop

Background

With the expansion of the Internet of Things (IoT), interoperability
becomes more and more important. Standards-developing organizations have
done a tremendous amount of work to standardize protocols to simplify
implementation and to lower the cost of IoT products. As a result, new
protocols were developed, existing protocols were combined in new ways,
and lightweight profiles were defined.

At the application layer, interoperability is not yet mature; the work
on data formats (in the form of data models and information models) has
not seen the same level of consistency throughout various
standardization groups. Examples of standardization efforts in this area
include the work by IPSO on their Starter Pack, the Cluster Library
developed by the Zigbee Alliance, the OMA LWM2M, or the UPnP Management
and Control:1 specifications.

One common problem is the lack of an encoding-independent
standardization of the information, the so-called information model.
Another problem is the strong relationship with the underlying
communication architecture, such as an RPC or a RESTful design.
Furthermore, different groups develop similar concepts that only differ
slightly, leading to interoperability problems. Finally, some groups
favor different encodings for use with various application layer
protocols.

This raises a number of questions:

- What is the state of the art in data and information models? What
should an information model look like?
- What is the role of formal languages, such as schema languages, in
describing information and data models?
- What is the role of metadata, which is attached to data to make it
self-describing?
- How can we achieve interoperability when different organizations,
companies and individuals develop extensions?
- What is the experience with interworking various data models developed
from different groups, or with data models that evolved over time?
- What functionality should online repositories for sharing schemas
have?
- How can existing data models be mapped against each other to offer
interworking?
- Is there room for harmonization, or are the use cases of different
groups and organizations so unique that there is no possibility for
cooperation?
- How can organizations better work together to increase awareness and
information sharing?

(A discussion about the difference between information and data models
can be found in RFC 3444.)

Workshop Style

The workshop’s main focus will be on discussing the harmonization of
information and data models for use with IoT deployments. In order to
keep the group at a manageable size, prospective participants are
required to submit a position paper as an expression of interest. We
will invite the authors of accepted position papers to attend the
workshop.

The workshop will be structured as a series of working sessions
punctuated by invited speakers, who will present on-going
standardization and research developments. The organizing committee may
ask submitters of particularly salient papers to present their ideas and
experiences at the workshop. We expect active participation of all
guests.

Participation at the workshop is free of charge.

Important Dates

Position papers must be submitted by February 22nd, 2016 at the latest.

The program committee will review submitted position papers and send an
invitation to the workshop to one of the paper authors. Invitations will
be distributed by February 27th, 2016 at the latest.

This workshop will be a day and a half, and take place on the 17th and
18th of March, 2016.

Position Paper Requirements

Interested parties must submit a brief document. We welcome papers that
describe existing work, answers to the questions listed above, new
questions, write-ups of deployment experience, lessons-learned from
successful or failed attempts, and ideally a vision. Contributions are
not required to be original in content.

We solicit brief write-ups of one to three pages, formatted as HTML,
PDF, or plain text (for example as a submitted Internet Draft).
Representatives of IoT Standards Development Organizations or Alliances,
who have published relevant specifications, and representatives of
vendors who have shipped commercial IoT products supporting multiple
schemas, may minimally submit a pointer to existing documentation.

We will publish accepted position papers (as well as meeting minutes,
slides, and a workshop report). Please send your position paper to
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>.

Venue

The planned location for the workshop is San Jose, California, US. We
will provide the full details of the meeting venue to the invited
workshop participants. The workshop includes coffee and tea during
breaks.

IPR Policy

The workshop will have no expectation of IPR disclosure or licensing
related to its submissions.

Privacy Notice

You provide your name and your email address for the registration to
this workshop. We use this information for planning purposes (such as
finding rooms and ordering refreshments). We will also use this
information to contact you about the location of the meeting venue, or
other urgent and relevant notifications. Before the meeting minutes are
publicly distributed, you will also receive a copy for review. We will
share your contact details with the other workshop participants.

Program Committee

This workshop is organized by the Internet Architecture Board (IAB) and
the following persons:

- Jari Arkko, IETF Chair / Ericsson, Finland.
- Ralph Droms, IAB / Cisco, US.
- Jaime Jimenez, Ericsson, Finland.
- Michael Koster, SmartThings/Samsung, US.
- Dave Thaler, IAB / Microsoft, US.
- Hannes Tschofenig, ARM Ltd, Austria.