Subject: Re: [icnrg] New Version Notification for draft-suthar-icnrg-icn-lte-4g-00.txt

From: Souma Badombena <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2017 09:38:56 -0700

-----------------------
Specific elaboration or referencing in Section 5.1 -- On the non-deployment
of ICN at the Control Plane

I've been going over this draft and find it well-defined so far. However I
wanted to point out an area that calls for possibly more elaboration or
referencing in order to be able to better understand or grasp the presented
assertion or assumption:
So in Section 5.1, (right after Figure-4) it is mentioned as follow:

[...] "After analyzing message structure for the above messages and
complexities, their inter-dependencies, the conclusion was that it is
not beneficial to deploy ICN for control plane and mobility
management functions."

So would you care to elaborate a little bit on the overall analysis
(conclusion) in the draft or just provide a reference to the detailed
analysis so that we can be able to use such information accordingly in
attempting to understand the end reason of not deploying ICN at the control
plane? If such a related extensive or detailed study or research data
exist, could you please provide some information for it? That would help
for better interpretation and understanding.

Thanks,

-- 
Souma Badombena-Wanta

---

From: "David Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2017 16:50:55 -0400

This is a very good question - thanks for asking. I’m also interested 
in the data the authors have to back this up.

One thing to consider is whether the analysis just took the existing 
mobility management protocols and recast
them to use ICN-style messaging as opposed to the current protocol 
encapsulation, or if it re-factored the protocols to take into account 
some of the existing functions (e.g. source address re-assignment, 
retransmission of messages, etc.) that are moved from the control plane 
to the inherent forwarding functions in an ICN-friendly design.

If the former, i can easily understand why ICN might not be a win.

DaveO <chair hat off>

> Thanks,
>
> -- 
> Souma Badombena-Wanta
> _______________________________________________
> icnrg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/icnrg

DaveO