Subject: [Ideas] Welcome to the IDEAS mailing list!

From: Padma Pillay-Esnault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 17:08:30 -0700

Greetings IDEAS subscribers!

The architecture of IDentity Enabled networkS (IDEAS) is based on
decoupling the Identity (ID) of an entity from its location and using a
mapping system that binds the ID with the location for forwarding or other
purposes. IDEAS aim to address a wide variety of applications ranging from
Mobility, IoT, Intelligent Transport, Industrial Internet to Smart
Agriculture.

Currently, several Identity based solutions exist and they use different
technologies such as: static tunneling, dynamic encapsulation/decapsulation
or translation. Furthermore, they have distinct mapping/binding systems
that do not interoperate with each other.

While it may be useful to support different solutions depending on the use
case or placement in network, multiple independent mapping systems will be
an impediment to large scale deployment.

With new emerging requirements for future networks (massive scale, fast
mobility, ultra low latency, session continuity, …), it is crucial to have
an open, dynamic, scalable, redundant and distributed mapping system that
can span over multiple administrative domains.

This mail is to kickoff discussions on the problem statement and use cases
for a large scale Intelligent ID Mapping System with a common control plane.

All contributions/presentations welcomed!