Subject: IGMP proxying

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 15:58:26 +0100 (BST)

Bill and HH,

A comment on:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idmr-igmp-proxy-01.txt
IGMP-based Multicast Forwarding ("IGMP Proxying")
Fenner, He et al.

It strikes me from a brief read of this draft that your use of
'upstream/downstream interface' terminology restricts the draft to
topologies sans unidirectional links, since in a unidirectional case
the definition of the direction of the root of the tree becomes a
little munged.

In particular, section 4.2 of your draft won't hold for
unidirectional-link topologies, where the upstream receive interface
and upstream send interface are actually on separate interfaces.

Have you considered topologies with one-way links? The IETF UDLR WG is
heading for rechartering to document multicast solutions for one-way
links (see
http://www-sop.inria.fr/rodeo/udlr/archive/msg00525.html
), so there seems to be some overlap here.

thanks,

L.

see you in the MAGMA and UDLR sessions on Monday.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>