Subject: rfc2362 state

From: Liu Ying <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 11:0:39 +0800

A professor told me that the RFC 2362 about pim-sm is obsoleted. But i still find the rfc2362 in ieft web site. so i want to know if the rfc2362 still can be uesd as the standard when implementing the multicast protocol. 
　　
　Liu Ying
　2002-05-21

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 12:47:35 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 21 May 2002, Liu Ying wrote:

> ¡¡A professor told me that the RFC 2362 about pim-sm is obsoleted.
> But i still find the rfc2362 in ieft web site. so i want to know if
> the rfc2362 still can be uesd as the standard when implementing the
> multicast protocol.

As you'll see from
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc-index2.html

RFC2362 made RFC2117 obsolete, but hasn't been obsoleted by a later
published RFC itself.

As you'll see from
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/idmr-charter.html
there are no later PIM-SM workgroup drafts in this workgroup and its
mailing list. However, there is also:

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/pim-charter.html

and
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pim-sm-v2-new-05.txt

which I would read in conjunction with RFC2362, although as a draft
that's subject to change.

None of these documents are standards-track, or any form of standard.

L.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>