Subject: So from a purely pragmatic standpoint, there is little reason to participate in street protests.

From: "Margie Bolden" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 02:01:19 -0500

The cream of the crop for 2007 - GET IN EARLY! DSDI IS SET TO ROCK YOUR
PORTFOLIO!

DSI Direct Sales, Inc.
Symbol: DSDI
Price: $0.04

There is a MASSIVE PROMOTION underway this weekend! This is hot, read
the news and get on DSDI first thing Monday!

SDS, from its inception at the U. Not surprisingly, even people who were
indifferent to segregation did not enjoy vacationing in Dixie while
local thugs were beating up demonstrators. The second and third factors
you explicate might also help us understand why the value of the violent
protest has diminished.
The Soviets saw disinformation as a vital tool in the dialectical
advance of world Communism.
In my opinion, there is a deeper underlying reason, which is that people
have become disillisioned with the power of protests and politics in
general.
This ardor has persisted in the intellectual community.
They sign up because of education benefits and the ability to give their
children a stable middle class life. It still does, years after the
fact. And those of us on the left have indeed been pursuing other
options.
Fabio, it looks as if we've crossed over into the realm known as
"revolutionary praxis". The ardor of the left is however not fresh and
their response is emotionally, 'been there done that,' cf.
And George W Bush is really a reptile from outer space (or is it his
opponents who are - or are they still Stalin-minions? They have also
begun to professionalize - that is, they have begun to adopt the tactics
associated with lobbyists.
There are certain magic words, like fuck and nigger, that can't be said
on TV. The political winds seem to have shifted against the war (see,
2006 midterms), so protesting the Iraq War now is like shooting a
corpse.
Give me a defeated Germany, where I could have wine for lunch at my city
senior activity center or a defeated Japan where sex is not a moral
question!
" Judge Julie is probably still shaking his head and babbling. Posner's
analysis of why that disparity exists is, I believe, largely correct. As
a strategy of street theater, it was brilliant, because it forced the
opposition to take an action that was counter-productive from a
propaganda perspective.
And those of us on the left have indeed been pursuing other options.
It was done in the 1970s, which means that it isn't as sophisticated as
we might expect, but it is really an ambitious and useful first step
towards the comprehensive analysis you suggest. Compare that with the
large protests even before Iraq war.
It still does, years after the fact.
This is partly because of higher wages, especially for educated people,
and the fact that a higher percentage of women are employed.
Partly because of the collapse of communism, partly because of greater
prosperity, few Americans are hostile to the American system. The ardor
of the left is however not fresh and their response is emotionally,
'been there done that,' cf. (ie those mindful of the coming election and
among the very few who aren't in safe seats) Lastly? News organizations
are notoriously sloppy about verifying their sources.
2- The war in fact had started many years before 1968.
If you are too disruptive, you will lose popular support.