Subject: [idn] Working direction of IDN

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 23:16:34 -0700

All:

Answer to James Seng's comment:

>Correct me if I am wrong...from your email, you are suggesting that IDN
>to be encoded in a strings based on its symbols which makes up the
>script. While this is an intriguing thought, unfortunately, I do not
>think we have sufficient work done in that direction.

>Our current works basically resolves using ISO10646 as a basis for
>encoding names. Whatever limitation ISO10646 has, it is improving.

I am suggesting that IDN to be encoded in a strings based on its symbols 
which makes up the script. 

	Although IDN has no need to concern with trademarks at this time, it is
the idn limitation to support only [ISO10646] bothers me.  [ISO10646]
does not support all Chinese characters, since Chinese character set has
more than 100,000 characters already.  There are cases that we can not
find a live person's name on our current computers, don't  mention the
dead ones.  At the speed of computer and network development, when the
applications catch up with us, millions of more data going to be on the
net for accessing.  Are we going to revamp our idn again?  I can suggest
an ACE using a recursive rule to handle any symbols that are not possible
to be simply folded onto ASCII character set.  Such an ACE creats a
virtue character set, which is possible
 to include any characters or icons requested by a user, as long as that
icon has been encoded by an ACE somewhere on the net.  When the IDN can
take more than 63 octets or v6 or v8, the ACE can follow without
troubling the users.  Let alone the idea to send Unicode down to the
wire.  It is not user friendly, it is make no sense for the tradename
servers. 

Liana Ye

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 06:51:25 -0700

There is a lot of misinformation floating around about the support of
Chinese, Japanese and Korean characters. ISO 10646 / Unicode supports over
70,000 Chinese characters right now, and work is underway to encode further
sets. It has the same repertoire as the Chinese GB18030 and GB 13000.

This work is being done by the IRG, which includes representatives of the
governments of China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, South Korea, North Korea,
Taiwan and Vietnam, plus a representative from the Unicode consortium (cf
http://www.info.gov.hk/digital21/eng/structure/intro_irg.html).

This group is very careful cataloging, reviewing, and assessing Chinese
characters for inclusion into the standard. The only real limitation on the
number of Chinese characters in the standard is the ability of this group to
process them, because the characters are increasingly obscure (no person
knows more than a fraction of the set already encoded).

Mark