Subject: RE: [idn] The WALID patent may not apply to IDNA

From: "Larson, Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 12:40:40 -0400

Paul Hoffman wrote:
> This working group has to reach consensus. We already did that about
> IDNA; then the WALID patent surfaced. However, unless the working
> group thinks the patent actually applies to IDNA, we should continue
> to work on IDNA.
>
> If anyone who has read the patent would like to say why they think it
> applies to IDNA, please do so. Otherwise, I propose that the working
> group moves forward on IDNA and we ignore the WALID patent.

VeriSign Global Registry Services would like to express its support for
IDNA
and encourage the working group to move forward with it.

Matt
--
Matt Larson <[email-masked]>
VeriSign Global Registry Services

---

From: Stephen Dyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 08:10:40 +0100

Hi All,

>Matt Larson Wrote:

 > VeriSign Global Registry Services

I am not a supporter of the NSI Testbed because it is a premature 
implementation of a proposed standard and encourages similar non-standard 
deployments.

However, VeriSign does have the financial clout to test the Walid patent in 
the Courts. Now it has committed to this standard - (because that's what 
the "testbed" is) it has a real commercial need for the full deployment of 
this standard. So how about spending the money Matt? - this would be real 
support - roll out your attorneys.

Regards

Steve Dyer
Chairman CentralNic

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 08:13:28 -0400

> the Courts. 

it would almost certainly be cheaper for them to get a license for the patent,
and this would actually harm the ability of others to use the standard.

so I take VeriSign's show of support to mean absolutely nothing regarding
their beliefs about the validity of the patent.

Keith

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 09:25:20 -0700

>their beliefs about the validity of the patent.

Unfortunately, I agree. Reactions to potential patent infringement are very 
different for well-funded market leaders than for the rest of an industry.

The major benefit of the note from NSI is to set an example for others to 
make similar announcements... if their own independent intellectual 
property lawyers believe the patent does not apply.

d/
----------
Dave Crocker   <mailto:[email-masked]>
Brandenburg InternetWorking   <http://www.brandenburg.com>
tel: +1.408.246.8253;   fax: +1.408.273.6464

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 13:43:03 -0400

> property lawyers believe the patent does not apply.

We (.biz) have not yet completed this (independent patent review) activity. 

Eric

---

From: "Edmon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 10:28:57 -0400

From my point of view, I dont see any value of VeriSign coming out to talk
about the patent.  As far as I understand, VeriSign itself is not infringing
on the patent, it is the companies who create the clients that will have a
problem.

Edmon