Subject: Re: questions about the index of the bgpM2PeerTable

From: "Bruno Rijsman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 16:13:50 -0500

JH> My own thought is that in the case where the source address is not
JH> known ahead of time that a value of 0.0.0.0 (or all zeros for a
JH> given addrtype) would mean that its an unspecified address on
JH> configuration.
JH> It may be ok to leave this in the established state as well to
JH> make the tables queryable.  The implementations I have worked with
JH> tend to require you to specify the local end of the connection
JH> via configuration in some cases and when this is done, the value can
JH> be placed here.

Yes, I like your proposal: bgpM2PeerLocalAddr is the configured
(administrative) local address and 0.0.0.0 means no local address has
been configured.

We might want to add an additional object which is not part of the index
to retrieve the actual (operational) local address when the peer is
established. ( At least I think we need a separate object for that, but
I'm not really an SNMP expert, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong. )

And if we are really adventurous we might generalize this and say that
a bgpM2PeerRemoteAddr of 0.0.0.0 means that no remote address has been
configured (e.g. a promiscuous passive peer) and add an object for the
operational remote address.

-- Bruno

_________________________________________________________________
MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*.  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus