Subject: [Idr] Non Transitive Attributes

From: John Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 12:34:35 +0100 (BST)

Hi,
The MP_REACH_NLRI is an optional non-transitive attribute. How can then this be
advertised to peers outside its own AS (EBGP peers)?

As i understand being non-transitive means that if you dont understand the attribute then
you dump it and it has actually got nothing to do with it being able to cross the AS
boundaries. Is this how it is?

If not, then my first statement holds true.

Please help,
John

________________________________________________________________________
Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE Yahoo!
Messenger http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 16:48:05 -0400

> advertised to peers outside its own AS (EBGP peers)?

It is up to a speaker that understands the MP_(UN)REACH_NLRI attributes
to place them in a new PDU.  

The fact that this must be actively done means that a speaker that
doesn't understand the MP attributes will not propagate them to a
speaker that does, thus leaking reachability that it doesn't use.

-- 
Jeff Haas 
NextHop Technologies

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 16:48:05 -0400

-- 
Jeff Haas 
NextHop Technologies