Subject: [Idr] Issue 21 - Normalize names of Timers to match FSM

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 15:58:32 -0400

Issue 21: BGP timers

Question:  Should we normalize the 
                BGPTimer names to match the state machine. 

New text: 
--------------

10 BGP Timers

   BGP employs five timers: ConnectRetry (see Section 8), HoldTimer (see
   Section 4.2), KeepAlive (see Section 8), MinASOriginationInterval
   (see Section 9.2.1.2), and MinRouteAdvertisementInterval (see Section
   9.2.1.1).

   The suggested default value for the ConnectRetry timer is 120 sec-
   onds.

   The suggested default value for the HoldTimer is 90 seconds.

   The suggested default value for the KeepAliveTimer is 1/3 of the
   HoldTime.

Expiration Date September 2003                                 [Page 77]

RFC DRAFT                                                     March 2003

   The suggested default value for the MinASOriginationInterval is 15
   seconds.

   The suggested default value for the MinRouteAdvertisementInterval is
   30 seconds.

   An implementation of BGP MUST allow the HoldTime for the HoldTimer
   to be configurable on a per peer basis, and MAY allow the other
   timers to be con-figurable.

   To minimize the likelihood that the distribution of BGP messages by a
   given BGP speaker will contain peaks, jitter SHOULD be applied to the
   timers associated with MinASOriginationInterval, KeepAlive, Min-
   RouteAdvertisementInterval, and ConnectRetry. A given BGP speaker MAY
   apply the same jitter to each of these quantities regardless of the
   destinations to which the updates are being sent; that is, jitter
   need not be configured on a "per peer" basis.

   The suggested default amount of jitter SHALL be determined by multi-
   plying the base value of the appropriate timer by a random factor
   which is uniformly distributed in the range from 0.75 to 1.0. A new
   random value SHOULD be picked each time the timer is set. The range
   of the jitter random value MAY be configurable.

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr