Subject: [Idr] issue 16 - Idle State text

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 14:44:09 -0400

issue 16:  idle state changes

issue 16a: Editorial changes,
	   most accepted
	   delayed: movement of paragraphs

I would like working group input on Tom's suggestion
to move paragraphs.  If I do not get any input,
I will leave the paragraphs as they stand in the current
version below.

Sue

=====================

8.2.2 Finite State Machine

      Idle state:

        Initially the BGP peer FSM is in the Idle state. (Hereafter
	the BGP peer FSM will be shortened to BGP FSM.)

         In this state BGP FSM refuses all incoming BGP
         connections.  No resources are allocated to the peer.
         In response to a ManualStart event (Event1) or an
         AutomaticStart event (Event3), the local system:
            - initializes all BGP resources for the peer session, 
            - sets ConnectRetryCounter to zero, 
            - starts the ConnectRetryTimer with initial value,
            - initiates a TCP connection to the other BGP peer,
            - listens for a connection that may be initiated by
              the remote BGP peer, and
            - changes its state to Connect.

        The ManualStop event (Event2) and AutomaticStop (Event 8) event
        are ignored in the Idle state.

        In response to a ManualStart_with_PassiveTCPEstablished**(ment) event

[accepted]

        (Event 4) or AutomaticStart_with_PassiveTCPEstablishment event
        (Event 5), the local system:
            - initializes all BGP resources,
            - sets the ConnectRetryCounter to zero,
            - starts the ConnectRetryTimer with initial value,
            - listens for a connection that may be initiated by
              the remote peer, and
            - changes its state to Active.

        The exact value of the ConnectRetryTimer is a local
        matter, but it SHOULD be sufficiently large to allow TCP
        initialization.**(move this paragraph to 8)

[not accepted]

        If the DampPeerOscillation attribute is enabled **(True), 

[accepted]

	the following three additional events may occur
        within Idle state:
            - AutomaticStart_with_DampPeerOscillation [Event6],
            - AutomaticStart_with_DampPeerOscillation_and_
              PassiveTCPEstablishment [Event7],
            - IdleHoldTimer_Expired [Event 13].

        The method of preventing persistent peer oscillation is
        outside the scope of this document.**(move up)

[not accepted]

        Any other event [Events 9-12, 15-28] received in the Idle state
        does not cause change in the state of the local system.

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr