Subject: [Idr] Questions about operation of draft-ietf-idr-route-filter-09.txt

From: "Kirk Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:52:19 -0400

I have a question about the operation (Section 8) of receiving a route
refresh request containing ORFs.

In particular, the draft states:
"If the When-to-Refresh indicates IMMEDIATE, then after processing all the
ORF entries carried in the message the speaker re-advertises to the peer
routes from the Adj-RIB-Out associated with the peer that have the same
AFI/SAFI as what is carried in the message, and taking into account all the
ORF entries received from the peer. However, the routes that have not be
affected by the ORF entries carried in the message SHOULT NOT be
re-advertised to the peer."

  I take this to mean, that BGP will advertise those routes which match the
ORF entries contained in the UPDATE message being processed (and possibly
any previous marked as DEFER), but not those which were already processed
and advertised to this peer.
For example, say I have 2 BGP speakers, X and Y.
X sends a route refresh message to Y containing ORF value A with IMMEDIATE.
I assume any routes matching A (and the AFI/SAFI) will be sent to X from Y.
Now, say X sends a route refresh message to Y containing ORF value B with
IMMEDIATE.
I assume only those routes matching B will be sent to X from Y.  i.e. the
routes matching ORF A will not be readvertised.
Is my assumption correct?

Thanks,
  Kirk.