Subject: [Idr] graceful restart vs flap dampening

From: Kaarthik Sivakumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 18:00:43 -0400

I am interested in how route flap dampening would interact with
graceful restart. Should stale routes be considered flapping and the
figure of merit appropriately increased? Should this be done when the
peer goes down or when the peer comes back up and doesnt readvertise
one of the stale routes, thus forcing the route to be withdrawn from
the listening speaker's forwarding? The graceful restart draft doesnt
refer to this interaction.

In my view, the figure of merit for the route should only be affected
when the restarting speaker comes up and doesnt readvertise the stale
route. Maybe this is clear from the draft and the route flap dampening
rfc and I just missed it. If so, let me know what I am missing.
Otherwise I would suggest some text in the graceful restart draft
about this interaction.

Thanks..

kaarthik

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: Danny McPherson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 22:36:52 -0600

On Monday, September 8, 2003, at 04:00 PM, Kaarthik Sivakumar wrote:

> one of the stale routes,

Only the latter (as usual), IMO.  Else you scope the usefulness
of graceful restart.

> thus forcing the route to be withdrawn from

I don't believe it should, as the functionality is clearly
orthogonal.

> Otherwise I would suggest some text in the graceful restart draft

I don't believe you're missing anything, this is implied
behavior.

-danny

---

From: Danny McPherson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 22:36:52 -0600

-danny