Subject: Cease Subcode Draft - Suggestion

From: Andrew Lange <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:01:02 -0700

Hello,

Don Goodspeed pointed out a couple of error conditions that would be 
useful to add to the cease subcodes draft.  We worked up some proposed 
text to add to draft-ietf-idr-cease-subcode-03.txt:

4. Subcode Definition

    Subcode	Symbolic Name
       0		Other Condition
      ...        ...
       8         Out of Resources

5. Subcode Usage

     If a BGP speaker decides to shutdown the session for a reason that
     is not covered in the other subcodes defined in this document, then
     the speaker should send a NOTIFICATION message with the Error Code
     Cease, and the Error Subcode "Other Condition".

     If a BGP speaker decides to shut down a session because it is out of
     resources, such as memory, then the speaker should send a
     NOTIFICATION message with the Error Code Cease, and the Error
     Subcode "Out of Resources".

     ...

     It is recommended that a BGP speaker implement a backoff mechanism
     in re-trying a BGP connection after the speaker receives a Cease
     NOPTIFICATION message with the subcode of ... "Out of Resources".

Andrew

---

From: Enke Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 18:02:57 -0700

Hi, Andrew and Don:

> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:01:02 -0700
> From: Andrew Lange <[email-masked]>
> Organization: Alcatel USA
> To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Cc: "Don Goodspeed" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Cease Subcode Draft - Suggestion
> 
> Hello,
> 

I do not think this is necessary as the BGP spec has already defined
Subcode 0 for "Unspecific". See the following text from the latest draft:

----------------------------------
4.5 NOTIFICATION Message Format

      Error subcode:

         This 1-octet unsigned integer provides more specific informa-
         tion about the nature of the reported error.  Each Error Code
         may have one or more Error Subcodes associated with it. If no
         appropriate Error Subcode is defined, then a zero (Unspecific)
         value is used for the Error Subcode field.
----------------------------------

>        8         Out of Resources

Assuming the message can still be sent :-)

I would like to hear some comments on this one.

-- Enke