Subject: [Idr] Question on draft-ietf-idr-bgp-ext-communities-06

From: "Bob Arthurs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 20:41:24 +0000

hello

i am doing some research on bgp and i wonder if someone can confirm a point 
or two on bgp extended communities (specifically route targets in 
draft-ietf-idr-bgp-ext-communities-06.txt).

many thanks for any help in advance.

are the following points true?

1. a route target has an extended Type field which is 2 octets long.

2. when the low order octet in the Type field is 0x02 this means that it is 
a Route Target.

3. When the high order octect in the Type field is 0x00 or 0x02 then the 
Global Administrator in the Value field is 2 or 4 octets respectively 
(depending on high order Type value being 0x00 or 0x02). The Local 
Administrator in this case is 4 or 2 octets respectively.

4. If the high order octet in the Type field is 0x00 or 0x02 then an AS 
number (either 2 or 4 bytes) is carried in the Global Administrator.

5. If the high order octet in the Type field is 0x01 then an IP address is 
carried in the Global Administrator part of the Value field. The Global 
Administrator and Local Administrator in this case are 4 and 2 octets 
respectively.

thanks again,

bob

_________________________________________________________________
Find a cheaper internet access deal - choose one to suit you. 
http://www.msn.co.uk/internetaccess

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr