Subject: [Idr] draft-ietf-idr-as-pathlimit-02 - Private ASes

From: Neil Matthew <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 17:05:07 +0000

Hi Folks

Why does the draft indicate that private AS numbers should not be 
counted when determining the path length?

In order to facilitate the decision process BGP already maintains a 
count that satisfies the other requirements (counting AS_SET as one, 
ditching confederation ASes).  Does explicitly referring to private ASes 
imply another counter?

Setting aside the validity of mixing private and public ASes, what 
happens if an AS_SET contains one or more private ASes?  Does this still 
count as 1 or is it 0?

Cheers

Neil

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 14:15:48 -0500

Hi Neil,

On 7-Dec-2006, at 12:05, Neil Matthew wrote:

> count that satisfies the other requirements (counting AS_SET as  
> one, ditching confederation ASes).  Does explicitly referring to  
> private ASes imply another counter?
>
> happens if an AS_SET contains one or more private ASes?  Does this  
> still count as 1 or is it 0?

These are excellent questions, but since that text was Tony's, I'd  
prefer to leave him to address your questions. He's a little tied up  
right now, but tells me that he will be back on-deck in the next  
little while, with more time to spend on IETF stuff.

Joe