Subject: Re: [Idr] Request for WG Last Call for: draft-ietf-idr-as-documentation-reservat ion-00.txt

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 08:41:46 +0300

I think reserving some small number of AS numbers for documentation 
use is a good idea.

I have one comment/question, though: Reserving a contiguous block of
16 AS numbers obviously has some advantages over reserving 16 random
AS numbers.  However, there's one disadvantage as well: they look very
much alike, and that might reduce the readability and clarity of
examples using them.

(At least for the IPv4 documentation address block -- 192.0.2.0/24 --
I've heard people saying that it would be nice to have addresses that
are more easily "visually distinguishable" -- e.g. don't start with
the same three digits. I've discovered this in some of my own drafts,
too...)

AS numbers are typically shorter than IPv4 addresses, so probably this
problem is less serious for them. But would it make sense to reserve,
say, two blocks of 8 (one starting with '5', another with '6'), or
a contiguous block of say, 59992...60007, or something that makes
the numbers "look different"?

(Perhaps this issue was already discussed earlier -- if that's the
case, please disregard my comment.)

Best regards,
Pasi
_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 09:57:41 +1100

On 09/10/2008, at 4:41 PM, <[email-masked]> <[email-masked] 
 > wrote:

> much alike, and that might reduce the readability and clarity of

thanks for your comment Pasi.

The draft request two discrete blocks of AS numbers, one from the 16- 
bit number space, one from the 32-bit-only number space, which I think  
meets your requirements. The precise numbers to be allocated the draft  
leaves to IANA, with a non-published note for IANA's consideration as  
some advice. I trust this approach is a suitable approach to this  
matter, and hope that with these comments in response you are a little  
more comfortable that the draft as written can address your concern.

regards,

   Geoff