Subject: [Idr] Lowering the recommended, default MRAI time

From: Paul Jakma <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 13:50:46 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

Based on various reports, there appears to be some reasonably 
low-hanging fruit wrt BGP convergence times (and possibly in reducing 
the effects of path-hunting slightly): reduce the MRAI time. There 
are probably better, long-term ways to achieve same - but none have 
the same potential for rapid deployment as reducing the MRAI.

The below is an initial attempt to cover the background, and so 
justify revised recommendations of 5s and 1s-or-less for eBGP and 
iBGP MRAI respectively.

I wonder if the WG has any interest in adopting this draft.

Filename:        draft-jakma-mrai
Revision:        00
Title:           Revised Default Values for the BGP 'Minimum Route
Advertisement Interval'
Creation_date:   2008-10-09
WG ID:           Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 8

Abstract:

This document briefly examines what is known about the effects of the
BGP MRAI timer, particularly on convergence.  It highlights published
work which suggests the MRAI interval as deployed has an adverse
effect on the convergence time of BGP.

It then recommends revised, lower default values for the MRAI timer,
thought to be more suited to today's Internet environment.

(See: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jakma-mrai-00)

regards,
-- 
Paul Jakma	[email-masked]	[email-masked]	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune:
God was satisfied with his own work, and that is fatal.
  		-- Samuel Butler
_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr