Subject: [Idr] draft-ietf-idr-reserved-extended-communities

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 18:29:16 +0100

Hi,

As a reminder, draft-ietf-idr-reserved-extended-communities defines 2
IANA registries (transitive & non-transitive) to allocate an extended
community from. 

Currently, the draft proposes to assign 2 new BGP extended community
types for these 2 pools.

Another option would be to reuse the existing "generic four-octet AS
specific" extended community sub-type defined in
draft-ietf-idr-as4octet-extcomm-generic-subtype and use the reserved AS
number 0x00000000 for theses 2 pools. This would be similar to the
existing "well known" BGP communities pool
as defined in RFC 1997, which also reuse the AS number 0x0000 space.

Pro:
-1- Same principle for communities and extended communities
-2- a BGP implementation hard coding the extended communities types
accepted by the CLI would not need to be updated twice and SP would not
need to ask/wait for 2 features.

Is there any comment on this proposition?

In the absence of any objections within the next two weeks I'll issue a
revised version which reflects the above proposition.

Thanks,
Regards,
Bruno

---

From: Jeff Tantsura <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 14:43:04 -0500

+1

Regards,
Jeff  

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2011 09:29
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Idr] draft-ietf-idr-reserved-extended-communities

Hi,

Pro:

Thanks,
Regards,
Bruno
_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr