Subject: [Idr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-idr-optional-transitive-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 11:12:42 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Revised Error Handling for BGP UPDATE Messages
	Author(s)       : John G. Scudder
                          Enke Chen
                          Pradosh Mohapatra
                          Keyur Patel
	Filename        : draft-ietf-idr-optional-transitive-04.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2011-10-25

   According to the base BGP specification, a BGP speaker that receives
   an UPDATE message containing a malformed attribute is required to
   reset the session over which the offending attribute was received.
   This behavior is undesirable as a session reset would impact not only
   routes with the offending attribute, but also other valid routes
   exchanged over the session.  This document partially revises the
   error handling for UPDATE messages, and provides guidelines for the
   authors of documents defining new optional attributes.  Finally, it
   revises the error handling procedures for several existing
   attributes.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-optional-transitive-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-optional-transitive-04.txt

---

From: Enke Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 11:27:28 -0700

Hi, folks:

The draft has been revised extensively as a result of consolidation with 
draft-chen-ebgp-error-handling-01.txt.

Here is a summary of the main changes:

   o Use "treat-as-withdraw" / "attribute discard" (instead of session 
reset)
     whenever possible in order to minimize the impact on routing.

   o Cover the well-known attributes as well as optional attributes

   o Specify that errors with the Attribute Flags should be fixed locally

   o Remove the "Neighbor-Complete flag", and also the check for Partial 
flag

     They are no longer needed given our goal of minimizing impact on 
routing.

   o Add the following in Operational Considerations:

     When a malformed attribute is indeed detected over an IBGP session, we
     recommend that routes with the malformed attribute be identified and
     traced back to the ingress router in the network where the routes
     were sourced or received externally, and then a filter be applied on
     the ingress router to prevent the routes from being sourced or 
received.

Thanks.  -- Enke

On 10/25/11 11:12 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
> Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: John Scudder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:46:28 -0700

A minor point, the title of the draft is not accurate any more.  Since covered cases are no longer restricted, "optional-transitive" in the title is misleading.  We will change the title to be less confusing, probably after the -00 blackout is over.

--John

On Oct 25, 2011, at 2:27 PM, Enke Chen wrote:

> Idr mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr