Subject: [Idr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-idr-rfc4893bis-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 12:10:27 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : BGP Support for Four-octet AS Number Space
	Author(s)       : Quaizar Vohra
                          Enke Chen
	Filename        : draft-ietf-idr-rfc4893bis-07.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2012-06-22

Abstract:
   The Autonomous System number is encoded as a two-octet entity in the
   base BGP specification. This document describes extensions to BGP to
   carry the Autonomous System numbers as four-octet entities.  This
   document obsoletes RFC 4893.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-rfc4893bis

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-rfc4893bis-07

A diff from previous version is available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-idr-rfc4893bis-07

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Enke Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 12:15:17 -0700

Hi, folks:

The revised version addresses comments received during the IETF Last 
Call.  The diff is larger due to several terminology related changes:

 > Q_GEN-1: Sometimes the text says "AS number", and sometimes 
"Autonomous System number". Please use consistant terminology.
 > Q_GEN-2: Sometimes the text says "2-octet", and sometimes 
"two-octet". Please use consistant terminology.
 > Q_GEN-3: Sometimes the text says "4-octet", and sometimes 
"four-octet". Please use consistant terminology.

Thanks.  -- Enke

On 6/22/12 12:10 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
> Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: "John G. Scudder" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 15:18:30 -0400

Thanks, Enke. To add to this, there is (I believe) just one normative change. 

-06 says:

   The AS4_PATH attribute in an UPDATE message SHALL be considered
   malformed under the following conditions:

      - the attribute length is not a multiple of two, or is too small
        (i.e., less than 6) for the attribute to carry at least one
        AS number, or

      - the path segment length in the attribute is either zero, or
        is inconsistent with the attribute length, or

      - the path segment type in the attribute is not one of the
        types defined: AS_SEQUENCE, AS_SET.

-07 changes the final bullet:

   The AS4_PATH attribute in an UPDATE message SHALL be considered
   malformed under the following conditions:

      - the attribute length is not a multiple of two, or is too small
        (i.e., less than 6) for the attribute to carry at least one
        AS number, or

      - the path segment length in the attribute is either zero, or
        is inconsistent with the attribute length, or

      - the path segment type in the attribute is not one of the
        types defined: AS_SEQUENCE, AS_SET, AS_CONFED_SEQUENCE
        and AS_CONFED_SET.

Regards,

--John

On Jun 22, 2012, at 3:15 PM, Enke Chen wrote:

> Idr mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: Enke Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 12:35:42 -0700

Thanks, John.  The bug was introduced during editing in -06.

-- Enke