Subject: [Idr] [Errata Held for Document Update] RFC4274 (3776)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 11:40:02 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been held for document update 
for RFC4274, "BGP-4 Protocol Analysis". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=4274&eid=3776

--------------------------------------
Status: Held for Document Update
Type: Technical

Reported by: Alfred Hoenes <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2006-07-08
Held by: Stewart Bryant (IESG)

Original Text
-------------
(4)  inconsistency in updated text

The text of section 6.1 has been revised substantially from its
predecessor, RFC 1774.  Unfortunately, the modifications have
not been performed incompletely, leading to near-nonsense text.
Section 6.1, on page 7, says:

   Immediately after the initial BGP connection setup, BGP peers
   exchange complete sets of routing information.  If we denote the
   total number of routes in the Internet as N, the total path
   attributes (for all N routes) received from a peer as A, and assume
   that the networks are uniformly distributed among the autonomous
   systems, then the worst-case amount of bandwidth consumed during the
|  initial exchange between a pair of BGP speakers (P) is

|          BW = O((N + A) * P)
                         ^^^^                     ^^^^^

This makes no sense -- obviously you can't multiply by a non-numeric
quantity P, "a pair of BGP speakers".

I strongly suspect that it was the intention to say:

   Immediately after the initial BGP connection setup, BGP peers
   exchange complete sets of routing information.  If we denote the
   total number of routes in the Internet as N, the total path
   attributes (for all N routes) received from a peer as A, and assume
   that the networks are uniformly distributed among the autonomous
   systems, then the worst-case amount of bandwidth consumed during the
|  initial exchange between a pair of BGP speakers is

|          BW = O((N + A))

Please verify.

Corrected Text
--------------

Notes
-----
from errata 148

This has no impact on interoperability. It should be looked at on any update of the RFC.

--------------------------------------
RFC4274 (draft-ietf-idr-bgp-analysis-07)
--------------------------------------
Title               : BGP-4 Protocol Analysis
Publication Date    : January 2006
Author(s)           : D. Meyer, K. Patel
Category            : INFORMATIONAL
Source              : Inter-Domain Routing
Area                : Routing
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG