Subject: Re: [Idr] WG Last call for draft-ietf-idr-aigp-10 (ending 9/27/13)

From: "Alvaro Retana (aretana)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 12:12:49 +0000

Hi!

I just want to point out that we already have a WG document that has the
characteristics  that (I think) have been discussed:  flexible POI,
transitive, etc..

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-custom-decision

IMHO, we should use the cost community since it is the general solution
for the problem.

Now, that the cost community is not in WGLC, would be a good time to
review its applicability to the other use cases.

My 1c.

Alvaro.

On 9/27/13 2:23 PM, "Eric Rosen (erosen)" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>
>>Is the above something that IDR should consider for amending the draft?
>
>I think it would be much better to leave the AIGP draft as is, and for
>someone to write a new draft, possibly updating the AIGP draft, that
>specifies the option you want.
>

---

From: Ilya Varlashkin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 13:31:02 +0100

> IMHO, we should use the cost community since it is the general solution

I have considered cost-community as well (along with AIGP and few other options) for my scenario - it's lacking rules about what to do at the AS boundaries (accumulating IGP cost).

/iLya

---

From: "Alvaro Retana (aretana)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 13:01:03 +0000

On 10/1/13 8:31 AM, "Ilya Varlashkin" <[email-masked]> wrote:

Ilya:

>I have considered cost-community as well (along with AIGP and few other
>options) for my scenario - it's lacking rules about what to do at the AS
>boundaries (accumulating IGP cost).

The cost community carries a Cost that can be interpreted by the operator
as it relates to the Community-ID (and even the POI).  In that sense it is
just like any other community: the cost in it is relevant to your
application. 

That is why the draft doesn't talk about what to specifically do with the
values put in it because some applications (AIGP-like, for example) will
want to accumulate while others may want to do something completely
different.  This is true not only for the behavior at an AS boundary, but
for any other place where the value may want to be changed (RR, for
instance).

The current draft specifies the format and general operation.  The
handling of the Cost can either be specified in a separate draft, or it
could be just interpreted/agreed to locally based on the ID (just like any
other community).

Thanks!

Alvaro.

---

From: Ilya Varlashkin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 14:06:35 +0100

> just like any other community: the cost in it is relevant to your

let's not mix this here into AIGP discussion. I'm happy to discuss cost community with you either in a separate mail at IDR list or privately.

/iLya