Subject: [Idr] Advancing add-path

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 16:43:33 -0400

The add-paths feature (draft-ietf-idr-add-paths) has been in I-D limbo for a
little while.  At this point, multiple vendors now support the feature.

One sticking point of getting the draft to RFC state has been a normative
reference on a document that still isn't a working group document,
draft-pmohapat-idr-fast-conn-restore.  In particular:

:  When deployed as a provider edge router or a peering router that
:  interacts with external neighbors, a BGP speaker usually advertises
:  at most one path to the internal neighbors in a network.  In the case
:  the speaker is configured to advertise multiple paths to the internal
:  neighbors, it should include the Edge_Discriminator attribute defined
:  in [FAST-CONV] in order to make the route selection consistent inside
:  the network.

I'm unaware of any implementation of the edge_discriminator attribute.
Certainly IANA doesn't seem to have any code points allocated for it.

Service Providers seem to be happy with add-paths in its current form.  Has
anyone seen demand for the eBGP support covered by fast-conn-restore?

-- Jeff