Subject: [Idr] Protocol Action: 'Making Route Flap Damping Usable' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-idr-rfd-usable-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 10:47:43 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Making Route Flap Damping Usable'
  (draft-ietf-idr-rfd-usable-04.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-rfd-usable/

Technical Summary

   BGP Route Flap damping seeks to reduce the BGP 
   churn in routers. First described in operators forms 
   (RIPE, [ripe178]) and RFC2430 it was harsh 
   penalizing sites for being well-connected because 
   topology riches amplified the number of updates. 
   Therefore, many operators turned it off [ripe378].  
   However, now because new measurements f[plesser2011] 
   indicates a different suppression hold (6000) BGP 
   update rate can be reduced by 19%.  Ripe, a 
   European Operator forum, has endorse these new 
   settings [ripe580].    The Japanese operators have 
   reported their use of the new RFD and their 
   desires for implementation 
   [shishio-grow-isp-rfd-implement-survey]. 

Working Group Summary

   WG Group had consensus over the last call.  During 
   the last call, a suggestion for addition features was made.  
   The chairs/WG suggested this would be a follow-on 
   draft rather than an addition to the current draft. 

Document Quality
   Existing implementation of RFD exist in Juniper and 
   Cisco.  Protocol deployments 
   [shishio-grow-isp-rfd-implement-survey] found bugs which 
   have been fixed.  The Japanese operator and RIPE operator 
   community have reviewed these documents, and the 
   Japanese operator community given the response in 
   [shishio-grow-isp-rfd-implement-survey]. 
 
Personnel

   Shepherd: Susan Hares (WG chair), 
   AD: Stewart Bryant

RFC Editor Note

The title of Table 1 
OLD
Default RFD Paramaters of Juniper and Cisco
NEW
The default RFD parameters for Cisco and Juniper provided for the information of the reader. 
END