Subject: Re: [Idr] Kathleen Moriarty's Yes on draft-ietf-idr-error-handling-18: (with COMMENT)

From: "John G. Scudder" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 13:53:44 -0400

Hi Kathleen,

On Mar 9, 2015, at 8:07 PM, Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]> wrote:

> My only comment would be to see if you could break the first paragraph of
> the security considerations into a few sentences.  Maybe getting rid of
> the parens to help break out the additional sentences would help.

Good point, thanks. Parentheses are the bane of my existence. How about this?

   This specification addresses the vulnerability of a BGP speaker to a
   potential attack whereby a distant attacker can generate a malformed
   optional transitive attribute that is not recognized by intervening
   routers. Since the intervening routers do not recognize the
   attribute, they propagate it without checking it. When the malformed
   attribute arrives at a router that does recognize the given attribute
   type, that router resets the session over which it arrived. Since
   significant fan-out can occur between the attacker and the routers
   that do recognize the attribute type, this attack could potentially
   be particularly harmful.

– John

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 14:32:26 -0400

Hi John,

>    that do recognize the attribute type, this attack could potentially

That's much easier to read, thank you!

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen