Subject: [Idr] Shepherd Writeup for draft-ietf-idr-add-paths-10

From: "Russ White" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 10:07:16 -0400

Y'all --

Below is the shepherds writeup for this draft. Comments welcome.

Russ

==
1. Summary

The document shepherd is Russ White. The responsible Area Director is Alvaro
Retana.

This document extends BGP so a BGP speaker can advertise multiple paths
rather than a single best path to peers. It proposes a new NLRI encoding
extension to carry a Path Identifier, and a new capability to negotiate the
carrying of additional paths. These additional paths are intended to used to
eliminate path oscillation, in a number of situations where advertising
multiple paths can improve network convergence, and in a number of
situations where BGP is used in "high fan out" equal cost multipath network
topologies to provide optimal path availability.

2. Review and Consensus

The extension to BGP is straightforward; while there has been some
difficulty in coming to consensus on the benefits provided versus the
difficulty in implementing the extensions, the value of the concept has been
proven in deployment scenarios and use cases enough to justify moving
forward with this document. The document has passed through ten revisions
over a number of years, and has been discussed both on and off the relevant
lists by a number of experts in the development and deployment of BGP.

The working group has reached concensus on moving this document forward at
this point.

3. Intellectual Property

Each author has confirmed conformance with BCP 78/79. There are no IPR
disclosures on the document.

4. Other Points

There are no normative downrefs in this document. There are minimal
additions to the YANG model based on the extensions described in this draft;
as those models are not yet standardized, it is expected that these will be
included in these models as they are standardized. Changes to the IANA
registries required for the new options described in the draft have already
been properly assigned and recorded.