Subject: [Idr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-idr-as4octet-extcomm-generic-subtype-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2015 22:27:31 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Generic Subtype for BGP Four-octet AS specific extended community
        Authors         : Dhananjaya Rao
                          Pradosh Mohapatra
                          Jeffrey Haas
	Filename        : draft-ietf-idr-as4octet-extcomm-generic-subtype-08.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2015-06-07

Abstract:
   Maintaining the current best practices with communities, ISPs and
   enterprises that are assigned a 4-octet AS number may want the BGP
   UPDATE messages they receive from their customers or peers to include
   a 4-octet AS specific BGP extended community.  This document defines
   a new sub-type within the four-octet AS specific extended community
   to facilitate this practice.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-as4octet-extcomm-generic-subtype/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-as4octet-extcomm-generic-subtype-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-idr-as4octet-extcomm-generic-subtype-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Eric C Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 12:15:29 -0400

May I suggest that the authors bring this draft up to date with respect 
to RFC 7153?  Suggested changes follow.

OLD

    [RFC5668] defines a format for a four-octet AS specific extended
    community with a designated type field.  That document defines two
    sub-types: Four-octet specific Route Target extended community and
    Four-octet specific Route Origin extended community.  This document
    specifies a generic sub-type for the four-octet AS specific extended
    community to provide benefits such as the one cited above as the
    Internet migrates to four-octet AS space.

NEW

     This document specifies a generic sub-type for both the Transitive
     Four-Octet AS-Specific Extended Community and the Non-Transitive
     Four-Octet AS-specific Extended Community.

[Note: The registries for the Four-Octet Transitive AS-Specific EC 
Sub-Types already has seven assignments, not just the two from RFC5668.]

OLD

    This is an extended type with Type Field comprising of 2 octets and
    Value Field comprising of 6 octets.

    The high-order octet of this extended type is set to either 0x02 (for
    transitive communities) or 0x42 (for non-transitive communities). The
    low-order octet or the sub-type is set to 0x04.

NEW

    The Type field is set to either 0x02 (Transitive Four-Octet
    AS-Specific Extended Community) or 0x42 (Non-Transitive Four-Octet
    AS-Specific Extended Community).  The Sub-Type field is set to 4.
    The value field consists of six octets.

OLD

5.  IANA Considerations

    This document defines a specific application of the four-octet AS
    specific extended community.  IANA is requested to to assign a sub-
    type value of 0x04 for the generic four-octet AS specific extended
    community.

    This document makes the following assignments for the generic four-
    octet AS specific extended community:

    Name                                           Value
    ----                                           -----
    transitive generic four-octet AS specific      0x0204
    non-transitive generic four-octet AS specific  0x4204

NEW

5. IANA Considerations

    This document defines a specific application of the four-octet AS
    specific extended community.  IANA has assigned the value of 4 to
    "Generic" in both the Transitive Four-Octet AS-Specific Extended
    Community Sub-Types registry and the Non-Transitive Four-Octet
    AS-specific Extended Community Sub-Types registry, with this
    document as the reference.

[Note: This assignment already exists in the registry.]