Subject: [Idr] 2 week adoption call for draft-jdurand-auto-bfd-00.txt

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 16:09:57 -0400

This begins a 2 week adoption call for draft-jdurand-auto-bfd-00.txt. You
can obtain this draft at: 

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-jdurand-auto-bfd/

For this consensus call: 

1)      If you are IXP operator, please indicate if the problem that
draft-jdurand-auto-bfd and draft-ymbk-idr-rs-bfd are trying to solve exists
at  your exchange point. 

2)      Will draft-jdurand-auto-bfd session help you operationally? 

3)      Would you use draft-ymbk-idr-rs-bfd and draft-jdurand-auto-bfd
together? 

4)      Do you have any security concerns? 

As always in the discussion, please indicate "support" or "no support for
this as a WG draft. 

Sue Hares and John Scudder

=================

Summary of draft-jdurand-auto-bfd

draft-jdurand-auto-bfd suggests: a solution denoted as AUTO-BFD, that

   automatically initiates BFD sessions for BGP next-hops.  

   o  AUTO-BFD is configured on the BGP peering to the BGP RS.

   o  Every time a new BGP next-hop is received from this peering, AUTO-

      BFD triggers a new BFD session with this next-hop (or reinstates

      an existing session, see Section 5).  The operation mode for this

      BFD session MUST be asynchronous.  

     (Timers and the number of sessions are locally configured.)

   o  Routes coming from the AUTO-BFD enabled BGP neighbor are then

      checked based on the BGP next-hop and its BFD session state.

      Acceptance of routes is then subject to the administrative policy

      based on BFD session state. 

Summary of  draft-ymbk-idr-rs-bfd-01 

(https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ymbk-idr-rs-bfd-01)  

Proposes the use of BFD between two peering routers to detect a data plane
failure and the use of BGP next hop cost to signal the state of the data
link to the route servers. 

This draft-ymbk-idr-rs-bfd-01 suggests:

.         Echo mode MAY be used if both client routers running a BFD session
support this,

.           The use of authentication in BFD is optional as trust levels
vary between BGP peers at IXPs.  If trust cannot be assumed, pair-wise keys
can be used with the appropriate ttl/hop limit (RFC5881),

.         Administrative shutdown and start with start having BGP
automatically enabled.