Subject: [Idr] Alexey Melnikov's No Objection on draft-ietf-idr-shutdown-08: (with COMMENT)

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2017 07:28:01 -0700

Alexey Melnikov has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-idr-shutdown-08: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-shutdown/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

In Section 2:

   Shutdown Communication:  to support international characters, the
      Shutdown Communication field MUST be encoded using UTF-8.  A
      receiving BGP speaker MUST NOT interpret invalid UTF-8 sequences.
      Note that when the Shutdown Communication contains multibyte
      characters, the number of characters will be less than the length
      value.  This field is not NUL terminated.

I think you should stick a reference to RFC 5198, which talks about
subset of UTF-8 intended for human consumption.

I was also thinking about language tagging (RFC 5646) for human readable
text, but I suspect that nobody will implement it in your extension.

---

From: Job Snijders <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2017 17:05:37 +0200

> draft-ietf-idr-shutdown-08: No Objection

Oh, that is a great reference! Thanks.

How about adding: """For interoperability and consistent text display,
the Shutdown Communication field SHOULD be normalized as recommended in
"Unicode Format for Network Interchange" [RFC5198]."""

Resulting in the following:

NEW:

    Shutdown Communication:  to support international characters, the
        Shutdown Communication field MUST be encoded using UTF-8.  A
        receiving BGP speaker MUST NOT interpret invalid UTF-8
        sequences. For interoperability and consistent text display, the
        Shutdown Communication field SHOULD be normalized as recommended
        in "Unicode Format for Network Interchange" [RFC5198]. Note that
        when the Shutdown Communication contains multibyte characters,
        the number of characters will be less than the length value.
        This field is not NUL terminated.

> I was also thinking about language tagging (RFC 5646) for human
> readable text, but I suspect that nobody will implement it in your
> extension.

That would be extremely unlikely indeed.

Kind regards,

Job

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2017 16:39:41 +0100

>         This field is not NUL terminated.

Works for me!