Subject: [Idr] Warren Kumari's Yes on draft-ietf-idr-shutdown-08: (with COMMENT)

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2017 09:45:03 -0700

Warren Kumari has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-idr-shutdown-08: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-shutdown/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Having had to deal with many instances of "<ring ring>Hey, my BGP session
with you just went down, whatsup?!", "Yes, it's a maintenance. I sent you
mail about it last month, then last week, then this morning, then 5
minutes before pulling the session. You even generated a ticket for me,
it's # [1432323] 'kthnxbye...<click>" I think that this is the best thing
since sliced bread (of course, I also thought jabber over BGP was
cool).

Some nits:
2.  Shutdown Communication
Shutdown Communication:  to support international characters, the
      Shutdown Communication field MUST be encoded using UTF-8.
perhaps:
"MUST be encoded using UTF-8 "Shortest Form" encoding"? (from Security
Considerations) - or Alexey Melnikov's suggestion...

Also, *perhaps* it is worth noting that it might be possible for someone
to send:
'BGP going down\nMay 22 11:19:12 rtr1 mib2d[42]: SNMP_TRAP_LINK_TYPE:
ifIndex 501, ifOperStatus "Interface is a small turnip", ifName
ge-1/2/3'
and that logging of these should strip control characters. This may
already be covered in syslog...

---

From: Job Snijders <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2017 18:57:27 +0200

Dear Warren,

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 09:45:03AM -0700, Warren Kumari wrote:
>   "MUST be encoded using UTF-8 "Shortest Form" encoding"? (from
>   Security Considerations) - or Alexey Melnikov's suggestion...

The Security section already contains normative text to that effect, so
wouldn't that be somewhat redundant?

I can add it, but then would be two references in this document to the
concept of "Shortest Form" encoding, on top of it also being the
recommendation through [UTR36].

> already be covered in syslog...

Stripping / sanitizing is also covered by referencing RFC5198 as per
Alexey Melnikov's suggestion.

As to your direct example, the security section contains:

    "This specification minimizes the effects of visual spoofing attacks
    by limiting the length of the Shutdown Communication."

If you can suggest different (more accurate) wording that would be
appreciated.

Note: your attempted visual spoofing attack example is 140 bytes, the
specification only allows up to and including 128 bytes.

Kind regards,

Job