Subject: [Idr] Next hop encoding

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 22:18:16 +0200

Dear IDR chairs,

If I may I would like to suggest some form of pool (doodle, email to the
list, IDR wiki etc ...) which could help all of us to get first hand
information on how various shipping BGP implementations are handling next
hop encoding parsing.

I think the min set of questions could be as follows:

Name/Implementation

1. Is your implementation capable of inferring next hop format from next
hop length included in MP_REACH attribute ?

2. If Yes for #1 does this apply to any AFI/SAFI or is this only for
selected AFI/SAFIs - if so pls provide the list.

3. Do you support encoding of two IPv6 next hops (global and link local) in
the same next hop field and if so how do you use it once parsed correctly.

I think getting this information at least from all major BGP
implementations would be very useful for making some choices in regards to
current specifications or proposed erratum(s).

Kind regards,
R.