Subject: [Idr] Shepherd Review for draft-ietf-bgp-ls-segment-routing-msd-05.txt

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 22:27:05 -0400

Jeff, Ketan, Uma, Greg, and Nikos: 

My initial shepherd review of draft-ietf-bgp-ls-segment-routing-msd-05.txt
has three points: 

1)      2 IPR statements means the draft will have to go through an IPR call
for the IPR issues 

2)      Error handling section needs to be added to the draft (requires
-06.txt) 

3)      The implementation report needs to be improved (see below)

After all things are completed, I will start the WG LC. 

Sue Hares 

(Shepherd/WG co-chair) 

2 IPR Statements 

-----------------------

The 2 IPR statements for this draft means that after all authors indicate
IPR knowledge,

I will need to do a WG call for considering the draft with 2 IPR statements.

Otherwise, the IESG may wish to cycle a discussion on the IPR.   

It takes less time to just do it up-front. 

Error handling

----------------

This draft must add an error handling section that indicates what happen if
the 

Node MSD TLV and the Link MSD TLV are incorrectly parsed.  

This is a requirement for the shepherd/WG chair to send this to WG LC or the

QA reviews (RTG-DIR, OPS-DIR).  

I also would prefer to see 

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ketant-idr-rfc7752bis/

as a WG document prior to sending this to the IESG.  

Could you check with the authors to determine its status? 

Otherwise, the error handling section in this draft will need

to be improved.  

Implementation report improvement 

--------------------------------------

The implementation reports for draft-ietf-idr-bgp-ls-segment-routing-msd-05
needs improving and your draft needs to have additional error handling
specified.  

You need to indicate key features: 

1)      MSD and SR routing interaction 

MSD advertisements MAY be useful even if SR itself is not enabled.  

2)      MSD and BGP-LS interaction  

2a) The BGP-LS speaker may also advertise the
      MSD information for the local node and its links when not running any
      link-state IGP protocol e.g. when running BGP as the only routing
      protocol.

      2b) This enables sharing of MSD-Types that may
      be defined in the future by the IGPs in BGP-LS.

3)      Support for Node TLV parsing 

3a - feature support ( yes/no) 

3b-  MUST  (yes/20) 

         MSD-Value : a number in the range of 0-255.  For all MSD-Types,

         0 represents the lack of ability to impose an MSD stack of any

         depth; any other value represents that of the node.  This value

         MUST represent the lowest value supported by any link

         configured for use by the advertising protocol instance.

        3c) Support for Error handling if Node TLV is incorrectly parsed -
This needs to be specified your draft

4)      Support for Link MSD TLV 

4a) support for feature

4b) support for error handling if Link MSD is incorrectly parsed

---

From: Jeff Tantsura <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2019 00:29:10 -0700

Sue,

Wrt 2 IPR statements:
this is the same IPR, one published against individual draft, another, after idr has adopted it.

The author will be working to address your comments.

Cheers,
Jeff
On Jun 7, 2019, 7:27 PM -0700, Susan Hares <[email-masked]>, wrote:
> My initial shepherd review of draft-ietf-bgp-ls-segment-routing-msd-05.txt  has three points:
>
> 2 IPR statements means the draft will have to go through an IPR call for the IPR issues
> Error handling section needs to be added to the draft (requires -06.txt)
> The implementation report needs to be improved (see below)
>
> The 2 IPR statements for this draft means that after all authors indicate IPR knowledge,
> This draft must add an error handling section that indicates what happen if the
> The implementation reports for draft-ietf-idr-bgp-ls-segment-routing-msd-05 needs improving and your draft needs to have additional error handling specified.
>
> MSD and SR routing interaction
> MSD and BGP-LS interaction
> Support for Node TLV parsing
> 3a – feature support ( yes/no)
>
> 3b-  MUST  (yes/20)
>
>         3c) Support for Error handling if Node TLV is incorrectly parsed – This needs to be specified your draft
>
> Support for Link MSD TLV
> 4a) support for feature

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2019 12:18:55 -0400

Jeff:

Thank you for indicating as an inventor there is only one patent, but 2 claims. The discussion of the patent is outside of my purview as IDR WG co-Chair or the IDR WG’s appropriate discussion.    

The shepherd statement is still accurate, I need to make an IPR call to decide whether the WG approves in WG LC any document with IPR on the document.   Since all IPR statements have been made, and you are going to revise the document, I will start the IPR call based on the 1 patent (2 IPR claims below).  

Cheerily, Susan Hares 

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-ls-segment-routing-msd/

Date

ID

Statement

2018-08-30

3273

 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/3273/> Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson (publ)'s Statement about IPR related to draft-ietf-idr-bgp-ls-segment-routing-msd

2017-06-26

3023

 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/3023/> Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson (publ)'s Statement about IPR related to draft-tantsura-idr-bgp-ls-segment-routing-msd

 

From: Idr [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jeff Tantsura
Sent: Sunday, June 9, 2019 3:29 AM
To: [email-masked]; Susan Hares
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Idr] Shepherd Review for draft-ietf-bgp-ls-segment-routing-msd-05.txt

Sue, 

Wrt 2 IPR statements:

The author will be working to address your comments..

Cheers, 

Jeff

Sue Hares

(Shepherd/WG co-chair)

2 IPR Statements

-----------------------

It takes less time to just do it up-front..

Error handling

----------------

to be improved.  

 

3b-  MUST  (yes/20)

 

 

Support for Link MSD TLV

4a) support for feature