Subject: Re: [Idr] New BGP capability to advertise running daemon version

From: "Jakob Heitz (jheitz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 16:56:02 +0000

I support this draft.
You reserve a capability code, so the document should be standards track.

To address other comments:

It is quite correct that it is better to use an NMS to get the full network
picture and precise versions of every router including all its software
patches.

With some routers, if you wanted to put the full vendor and version name
and list of patches, you would overflow the capabilities length with
just this capability alone. So, put a sensibly shortened version.

Capabilities length is known at configuration time, before the BGP session
even comes up. It is trivial to reject a configuration if it is determined
to cause a capabilities overflow.

With ISSU, it is possible to upgrade the BGP software version without
bouncing the session.

Of course, if this capability is on by default, there are security/privacy
concerns. So don't send it by default.

Nevertheless, even with all these possible issues, I think it would
be super handy to run "show bgp neighbors" and see the software vendor
and version for each neighbor.

This draft does not harm anyone and is not difficult to code up.

Regards,
Jakob.

-----Original Message-----
From: Idr <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Donatas Abraitis
Sent: Thursday, August 1, 2019 11:08 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Idr] New BGP capability to advertise running daemon version

Hi there!

I would like to propose a new idea of how to simplify the debugging
process when dealing with lots of different BGP speakers and even more
with different versions.

Basically, the implementation is very trivial, but it would be handy
in cases when you should debug why some functionality does not work
between two or more BGP speakers. Having this in place would speedup
troubleshooting time. Even better if that comes to automation to
gather information around all infrastructure you have.

The implementation and details are posted in this draft:
https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-abraitis-bgp-version-capability-00.txt

Waiting for comments.

Thank you!

-- 
Donatas

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr