Subject: [Idr] A question about relationship between draft-song-opsawg-ifit-framework and draft-wang-idr-bgp-ifit-capabilities

From: Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 20:53:20 -0700

Dear OPSAWG and IDR WGs,
I've been following the discussion of draft-song-opsawg-ifit-framework
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-song-opsawg-ifit-framework/> in the
OPSAWG. The on-path telemetry is a very important element of the OAM
toolset. The IFIT framework discussion is helping to better understand how
the op-path telemetry can help operators. As you can see, that document is
not yet been adopted by the WG.
I've read draft-wang-idr-bgp-ifit-capabilities and have noticed that though
it defines elements of the control plane for the IFIT, it does not
reference the IFIT Framework document. That seems like an unfortunate
omission. Also, it might be appropriate to get the IFIT framework
progressed before advancing documents on the control plane extensions
supporting functionalities defined in the framework.
What are your opinions?

Regards,
Greg

---

From: Tianran Zhou <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 06:21:20 +0000

Hi Greg,

Thanks very much for you interest on the draft-song-opsawg-ifit-framework.
Yes, it would be great if we can get it progressed.
Let’s see how we can pick up this work.

Regards,
Tianran

From: OPSAWG [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Greg Mirsky
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2021 11:53 AM
To: idr wg <[email-masked]>; opsawg <[email-masked]>
Subject: [OPSAWG] A question about relationship between draft-song-opsawg-ifit-framework and draft-wang-idr-bgp-ifit-capabilities

Dear OPSAWG and IDR WGs,
I've been following the discussion of draft-song-opsawg-ifit-framework<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-song-opsawg-ifit-framework/> in the OPSAWG. The on-path telemetry is a very important element of the OAM toolset. The IFIT framework discussion is helping to better understand how the op-path telemetry can help operators. As you can see, that document is not yet been adopted by the WG.
I've read draft-wang-idr-bgp-ifit-capabilities and have noticed that though it defines elements of the control plane for the IFIT, it does not reference the IFIT Framework document. That seems like an unfortunate omission. Also, it might be appropriate to get the IFIT framework progressed before advancing documents on the control plane extensions supporting functionalities defined in the framework.
What are your opinions?

Regards,
Greg