Subject: [Idr] RFC 9107 on BGP Optimal Route Reflection (BGP ORR)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 22:05:38 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9107

        Title:      BGP Optimal Route Reflection (BGP ORR) 
        Author:     R. Raszuk, Ed.,
                    B. Decraene, Ed.,
                    C. Cassar,
                    E. Åman,
                    K. Wang
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-idr-bgp-optimal-route-reflection-28.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9107

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9107

This document defines an extension to BGP route reflectors. On route
reflectors, BGP route selection is modified in order to choose the
best route from the standpoint of their clients, rather than from the
standpoint of the route reflectors themselves. Depending on the
scaling and precision requirements, route selection can be specific
for one client, common for a set of clients, or common for all
clients of a route reflector. This solution is particularly
applicable in deployments using centralized route reflectors, where
choosing the best route based on the route reflector's IGP location
is suboptimal. This  facilitates, for example, a "best exit point"
policy ("hot potato routing").

The solution relies upon all route reflectors learning all paths that
are eligible for consideration. BGP route selection is performed in
the route reflectors based on the IGP cost from configured locations
in the link-state IGP.

This document is a product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC