Subject: idwg-public mailing list

From: James Riordan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:57:27 +0100

I was asked to look at the idwg-public mailing list and its archive at
just about the time the "Last Call on Requirements ID" message was
lost.  There were a number of stale addresses on the list and a mail
loop.  These are now cleaned up.

If there are any further problems or requests relating to the list or to
either form of its archive (see last point or this message), please
let me know.

This message is a summary of what happened with the lost message,
surrounding issues, and available services.

-- Automatic List Removal --

[email-masked] sent a message saying:

> basically, when i post to the idwg list, there are a number of
> bounces - bad addresses.  i am then removed from the list because of
> the number of bounces.

I was unable to replicate this problem but did observe it in the logs;
I suspect that it was caused by the (by then fixed) mail loop.  In any
case a sender clearly should not be removed no matter how many
recipient addresses bounce.

This said, the cleanup of stale address should prevent the problem
from manifesting itself; I also raised the bounce tolerances just to
be safe.  Again, if anybody still gets removed from the list due to
too many bouncing recipients, please let me know.

-- The Lost Message --

I suspect (strongly) what happened with the lost message was that, due
to the above, Mike was not actually a member of the list when he sent
his message.  The list has the property of not accepting mail from
non-list members (this is a sadly very necessary anti-spam measure).

The message should have bounced when declined but the bounced message
might well have looked like a bounce message to a list member rather
than to the list itself (and hence passed unnoticed).

-- The Archive --

There is an HTML form of the mailing list archive at:

  http://www.semper.org/idwg-public/

The list processing software will also also deliver the raw form of
messages.  Directions on how to do this can be obtained by sending a
plain ASCII message as:

  Mail -s "help archive" [email-masked] < /dev/null

-- One Last Time --

Please let me know if you have any problems or requests and I will try
to fix/accommodate them.

Best regards,
james
-- 
Dr. James Riordan                  email: [email-masked]
IBM Forschungslaboratorium         notes: James Riordan/Zurich/IBM
Säumerstrasse 4			   Tel +41 (0) 1 724 89 81
CH-8803 Rüschlikon, Switzerland	   Fax +41 (0) 1 724 89 53