Subject: XML Schema -vs- XML DTD

From: "David A. Curry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:38:08 -0500

As those of you who've been in the group for a long time know, we've always
sort of had this vague "sometime later" goal to move away from the XML DTD
representation of IDMEF and toward an XML Schema representation.

There are some good reasons for using an XML Schema over an XML DTD such as
better support for data types (which we kind of allude to in the drafts),
proper support for name spaces, and other things.  (See the list archives
for more.)

Anyway, we have received an offer from Andy Newton to create an XML Schema
for the IDMEF, which we could then integrate into the draft as a replacement
for existing the XML DTD.  This would mean another version of the draft, and
that version would be delayed until sometime in April because of Andy's
schedule.

Or, we can move forward with the draft we have.

If you have an opinion on this, please voice it to the list no later than
Wednesday, Feb. 26th.

--Dave

---

From: Klee Michaelis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:51:10 -0600

I would much rather use the schema.  Working through the problem during 
our own development, we found that the enhanced support for data types 
was very important.