Subject: [IDWG] Closing on IDMEF

From: Herve Debar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:23:50 +0100

Dear all,

as you have seen from Sam Hartman's message, we have one last chance to
make IDMEF an experimental RFC, hence finalizing the document. I am
enclosing for your perusal version -14, which has been reviewed by Sam
Hartman, and the tentative -15 version, which I would like to be the
final RFC. The -15 version contains minor corrections from -14.

The key issue there is to show the IESG and Sam Hartman that there is
support from the community to have a schema instead of a DTD. Hence, I
would like to have an opinion from all of you who care about this issue.
Please let me know by feb. 7th midnight if you support:

- the DTD as normative (in which case -14 is the final version with DTD
and schema swaped)

or

- the schema as normative (in which case -15 is the final version)

and additionally, whether you are using IDMEF as
- an academic
- an industrial vendor (including references / number of deployments if
you can publicly state them.
[In both cases a web site will be appreciated].

Depending on the number of answers I receive, I will make one last
attempt to push for the schema being normative, or I will swap DTD and
schema in the final document and move it to the RFC editor.

Best regards, and thanks to you all for helping.

Hervé
-- 
Hervé Debar             <mailto:[email-masked]>
Tel: +33 (0)2 31 75 92 61            GSM: +33 (0)6 74 09 09 66
France Télécom R&D              (new)Fax: +33 (0)2 31 37 83 43
42 rue des Coutures  (--)  BP 6243  (--)  F-14066 Caen Cedex 4