Subject: Re: [Ieprep] Public Safety? physical location

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 08:41:50 -0500

> > There are a number of issues in physical location. One, it tends to imply
> > the use of a GPS or something like it.
> 
> There are terminal based solutions (e.g. GPS) and network based ones (DOA,
> etc.). I don't think the technology matters. It is the protocol that delivers
> it that we should identify - has the positioining group got this far.
> 
> > Another issue is related to privacy. If I am calling 911 to report an
> > accident, I most certainly want the 911 operator to know where I am.
> 
> I think the FCC wants this too... privacy is not an issue.

You might want to join the discussion in geopriv. It's been treading
water for two+ years.

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: Alistair Munro <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 14:33:51 +0100

Hi All,

Please correct me if the following were beaten to death already - I couldn't
find anything explicit in the follow-ups.

> I believe that there is a working group addressing physical location; if it
> is a requirement, the obvious thing for us to do is state and support the
> requirement, and let said working group work out the details.
>

Positioning information *is* a requirement, more advanced in the US but
probably coming in Europe too.

> >If public safety is in scope, land mobile radio interoperability (again,
> >specifically out of scope for GETS) is an important requirement.  During
> >the recovery efforts after 9/11, the the lack of interoperability between
> >the land mobile radio networks used by the various groups (Police, Fire,
> >Rescue, etc) from different jurisdictions was a major problem.  It seems
> >plausible that, if each of these systems had an interface to the Internet,
> >the Internet could provide the interoperability between the systems.

We should take care to solve the right problem. The different sevices are often
reluctant to work together, claiming inidividual unique requirements even while
using the same equipment - a political problem. Sometimes they prevent each
other working together due to incompatible spectrum allocations and modulation
schemes that generate disruptive interference - also a political problem which
has some funds being thrown at it by Mr. Bush.

It's a nice thought, but APCO has made very little progress in encouraging the
necessary will to cooperate. I don't think we have a technology to offer to
solve that problem.

Regards,

Alistair