Subject: Re: [Ieprep] Preemption

From: Alistair Munro <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 19:39:38 +0100

Hi Ken, (and Stu also),

> > I wonder if anyone on the operational side of PSTN, ISDN, GSM has any
> > comment on the preemption issue? It would certainly help my
> > understanding of practice.
>
> from my experience, the preemption that has been deployed is almost
> exclusive to private networks, and I'll have to pass on comments.
>
> my understanding is that the UK, under the guidance of Oftel, has
> deployed multiple priority indicators for their cellular/mobile
> telephony service, but i don't believe preemption is part of that
> service.  i'll look into that.

This is roughly in line with what I have heard. I believe that for GSM (in
the UK, don't know about elsewhere) that there are multiple levels (15
possibly) that can be assigned and stored on the SIM. Engineering staff may
occupy the top-levels, emergency about half way down (there may be multiple
emergency priorities too), and the common herd (paying customers) lurk
around in the nether regions.

I also understand that there is no preemption for GSM in the UK. I can
check further but Fred's comments reminded me that I may be drifting
off-topic. If we can specify a priority and preemption scheme that works
for the IP domain then the best we can do in this area should be consistent
with the behaviour at the gateways.

I wonder how we might test some of these things...

Regards,

Alistair

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep