Subject: Re: [Ieprep] We have been asked to review these drafts

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 11:16:55 -0500 (EST)

> does our illustrius Area Director know if the authors of
>   "SMTP Service Extension for Priority", J. Onions, G. Lunt, 05/30/2001, 
>   <draft-onions-priority-smtpext-00.txt> 
> plan on continuing work on the draft?

(I'll try on the "illustrius" hat)

I've seen no indication that the ID was anything but an independent
submission or that it git traction anywhere but I will ask

Scott

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: "Ken Diliberto" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:22:27 -0500

In my mind, a disaster means down communications and such.  I would think that would cause congestion by itself.

The other Ken :-)

>>> Ken Carlberg <[email-masked]> 04/10/02 06:46AM >>>

> * Deliver prioritised messages before "normal" messages (but do SMTP servers
> ever build up significant queues of messages?)

its quite dependent on the configuration & deployment at a given site,
but for large enterprise networks, yes, on occasion they do tend to 
suffer from these build ups.  

viruses like Melissa are the usual culprits that folks blame when 
thinking about the topic, but some of the larger businesses also ask 
their employees to not (re)distribute the animated email christmas 
cards because of the culmulative buffer space they consume and the 
ripple effect they generate in slowing down delivery of regular business 
email.

-ken