Subject: Re: [Ieprep] "IEPREP" priority value for Resource-Priority

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 08:22:44 EST

In a message dated 4/4/02 6:47:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, [email-masked] 
writes:

> "Tele" means 'over some(long) distance(s)' -- so strictly speaking 
> (writing), you're correct with your intention. But most of us in this 
> community know there is a difference in most networks - especially in 
> closed networks like enterprises where most of us work - between 
> Telecommunications and Datacommunications. The former means "voice", the 
> latter means "everything else". FTP, SMTP and HTTP (3 desirable 
> applications from your ID)  for example will always fall under the 
> "Datacommunications" side of this categorization, not to the 
> Telecommunications side. I would consider "communications" to be a better 
> word than "Telecom", "Datacom", "Transfer", or any others I've heard or 
> read or thought of. I'm looking at it to relieve confusion on  limiting 
> focus to only voice (which you state as not being your desires here, which 
> I agree with BTW)
> 

We should stick with the definition given in American National Standard 
T1.523-2001, which is consistent with its use by the ITU-T and ETSI (where 
"T" means telecommunications for both). T1.523 says:

"Any transmission, emission, or reception of signs, signals, writing, images 
and sounds or intelligence of any nature by wire, radio, optical or other 
electromagnetic systems."

(I suppose that, strickly speaking, smoke signals fit in this definition, 
since you need to see them via light wave transmission.)

No, "telecommunications" does not mean just voice and any attempt to use this 
term as such would further confuse everyone. Lets just make sure that any 
reference is clear by including the right words rather than depending on 
everyone thinking this one word means a certain thing. (Everyone doesn''t 
have T1.523 in their back pocket!)

Does the IETF have any agreed vocabulary document?

Mike

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 08:26:11 -0800

>Does the IETF have any agreed vocabulary document?

no. But this would be the first time I have ever heard the word 
"telecommunications" used to describe data communications, regardless of 
ANSI's definition.

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 11:52:06 -0600

>"telecommunications" used to describe data communications, regardless of 

that was kinda where I was coming from. it's always been separated everywhere
I've been in all my past lives (jobs)

*************************************
"People generally demand more respect for their own rights than they are
willing to allow for others"

James M. Polk
Consulting Engineer
Office of the CTO

Cisco Systems
2200 East President George Bush Turnpike 
Richardson, TX  75082 USA
w) 972.813.5208
f)  972.813.5280
www.cisco.com