Subject: [Ieprep] Folts' stated requirements: mobility

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 09:30:42 -0800

In 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-folts-ieprep-white-paper-00.txt, 
you state that "A US Government working group recently identified fourteen 
basic functional requirements for the future ETS."

In section two, you mention
   +----------------------------------------------------------------
   |g. Mobility            The communications infrastructure must
   |                       support transportable, redeployable, or
   |                       fully mobile communications (e.g.,
   |                       personal communications service,
   |                       cellular, satellite, high frequency
   |                       radio).
   +----------------------------------------------------------------

Is there a problem here that you are seeking to have addressed? It is my 
perception that Internet technology has strong mobility characteristics; 
the laptop has become essentially ubiquitous, PDA-based Instant Messaging 
and Email solutions exist and can be deployed, and we certainly do hear a 
lot about 3G. Are you looking for something different from or in addition 
to the capabilities that are currently available?

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: Alistair Munro <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 21:36:16 +0100

Hi Fred,

> [Folt] state[s] that "A US Government working group recently identified
> fourteen

As far as requirement (g) is concerned, if IP is supported in these
infrastructures and supported properly, including QoS, handoff between them,
then it can be used. There are IP portability solutions that work if you don't
care about having a permanent IP address and other persistent services - DHCP,
etc. will provide. They work if you do care about having a permanent IP
address - you can use mobile IP if your providers and home network support it.

My perception of a problem in this area is one of performance, not technology
or protocols. What will we recommend as the best thing to do?

Note: Janet mentioned the E911 directive on location/positioning availability.

Do we have to make recommendations on this and its performance, - which will
vary according to the underlying technology and terminal capabilities?

Regards,
Alistair

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 13:22:42 -0800

>vary according to the underlying technology and terminal capabilities?

you tell me?

I don't believe we have to make recommendations concerning the performance 
of anything, as the IETF has not historically designed services per se - 
those are the result of contracts with service providers, and would be 
specified in RFPs or RFIs for those services. "You want service like 
<this>, you pay <$$>, You want twice that level of service, you pay 
<$$$$>". The IETF specifies protocols that enable people to build services; 
it is not a one-stop shopping place that the service providers listen to in 
what services they offer.

We have, however, been asked to make recommendations about how those 
RFIs/RFPs might be structured, and how people might deploy or use the 
resulting service.

---

From: Alistair Munro <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 12:44:00 +0100

Hi Fred,

> RFIs/RFPs might be structured, and how people might deploy or use the 

In respect of mobility, there are multiple solutions, IP and sub-IP. A 
discriminator for choosing to deploy one or another is reachability, 
which is part of availability. Reachability of portable IP-only 
terminals used by emergency personnel that are highly mobile in the 
emergency area and changing subnetwork at a high rate will be affected 
by the solution chosen. $$ or $$$$ may also have an influence but I was 
not thinking about $ principally - emergency services are not a 
commodity, although we may succeed in opening this opportunity.

Regards,

Alistair

-- 
Dr. Alistair Munro,
Chief Systems Engineer, Degree2 Innovations Ltd.
Regus House, 1 Friary, Temple Quay, Bristol, BS1 6EA, U.K.
E-mail: [email-masked]
Tel: (work) +44-117-900-8114, (home) +44-1275-462707, (mobile) +44-7974-922-442;
Fax: +44-117-900-8151
Web: http://www.u4eagroup.com