Subject: [Ieprep] (no subject)

From: Ken Carlberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 15:06:25 +0100

> From: [email-masked]
>
> For IEPREP, the job is to add the definition of the namespace. I believe 
> that, while the namespace would be added to support the specific 
> requirements of IEPREP, it is something that exists in a broader context
> - the public network. Within that network, the new value(s) for IEPREP 
> are in addition to the case of "normal" calls, even if the normal calls
> never use the Resource-priority header. It seems necessary to actually
> define a "Normal" priority value, simply to be able to say that something 
> defaults to it. 

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what exactly you are saying here.  

> C Namespace public_network 
> 
> The namespace "public_network" is registered here to be used by those
> public networks which support the emergency services defined in 
> [IEPS/SOS/911/etc]. The namespace contains the following five priority
> values in ascending order: 

ugh.  I really feel uncomfortable with this.  an association of a generic 
name like "public_network" with a distinct number of priority values
really doesn't seem to be desireable.  I feel more comfortable starting
out with "known" namespaces or levels like MLPP and IEPS/GETS.  my 
udnerstanding is that the ITU will define ETS with 5 levels.  and there
is e-MLPP with the 15, and GTPS with 3.  but some generic and encompassing
as "public_network" shouldn't be defined at this time.

> From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
>
> While protocol design can be amusing to some, I don't think that is
> within the charter for IEprep.  Of course the chair can correct me
> if he thinks I'm confused...

I agree with Ran that the parts of the original message dealing with the 
protocol specification of the resource-header and the main part of that
spec should be moved to SIPPING.  the other areas involving IANA and
actual namespace values (eg, those discussed above) would seem to be fine 
for debate here.

my 2 pence,

-ken

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep