Subject: [Ieprep] Network Monoculture: Diversity, Survivability, and the Profitability of Internet Commerce

From: Ian Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 13:54:39 +0100

Anyone around Boston might find this interesting...
--
               The Digital Commerce Society of Boston

                              Presents

                          John S. Quarterman
                             Founder, CTO
                         Matrix NetSystems, Inc.

                          Network Monoculture:
                   Diversity, Survivability, and the
                     Profitablity of Internet Commerce

                      Tuesday, June 4th, 2002
                             12 - 2 PM
                 The Downtown Harvard Club of Boston
                    One Federal Street, Boston, MA

Monoculture is harmful for ecosystems or markets. This talk will
illustrate performance effects on the Internet caused by natural
(hurricane, earthquake) and unnatural (routing flap, cable cut,
building damage) disasters. Measuring performance of the Internet can
enable price differentiation, asset and liability management, and
speed Internet evolution by providing it a business model.

John S. Quarterman wrote The Matrix, a comprehensive book on the
history, technology, and people of computer networks worldwide, as
well as six other books. He is a founder and Chief Technology Officer
of Matrix NetSystems, which is the most experienced Internet analyst,
established as Matrix Information and Directory Services (MIDS) in
1990, and since 1998 an Internet startup with Internet performance
products. Quarterman published the first maps of the whole Internet;
conducted the first Internet Demographic Survey; and started the
first continuing series of performance data about the entire Internet
in 1993, on the web since 1995 in the Internet Weather Report, and
also visible as average.matrixnetsystems.com, plus comparisons of
ISPs visible as ratings.matrixnetsystems.com.

This meeting of the Digital Commerce Society of Boston will be held
on Tuesday, June 4th, 2002, from 12pm - 2pm at the Downtown Branch of
the Harvard Club of Boston, on One Federal Street. Luncheon seats are
$49.00. The Harvard Club has relaxed its dress code, which is now
"business casual", meaning no sneakers or jeans. Fair warning: since
we purchase these luncheons in advance, we will be unable to refund
the price of your meal if the Club finds you in violation of what's
left of its dress code. In addition, since the "dot-bomb", the
suit-probability in the main dining room has been asymptotically
approaching unity, and we should probably dress accordingly. :-).

We need to receive a company check, or money order, (or, if we know
you, a personal check) payable to "The Harvard Club of Boston", by
Saturday, June 1st, or you won't be on the list for lunch. Checks
payable to anyone else but The Harvard Club of Boston will be
returned.

Checks should be sent to Robert Hettinga, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston,
Massachusetts, 02131. Again, they *must* be made payable to "The
Harvard Club of Boston", in the amount of $49.00. Please include your
e-mail address so that we can send you a confirmation

If anyone has questions, or has a problem with these arrangements
(we've had to work with glacial A/P departments more than once, for
instance), please let us know via e-mail, and we'll see if we can
work something out.

Upcoming speakers for DCSB are:

August 6     Donald Eastlake     XML Security

As you can see, we are actively searching for future speakers. If you
are in Boston on the first Tuesday of the month, are a principal in
digital commerce, and would like to make a presentation to the
Society, please send e-mail to the DCSB Program Committee, care of
Robert Hettinga, <mailto: [email-masked]>, and we'll send you a
call for speakers.

For more information about the Digital Commerce Society of Boston,
send "info dcsb" in the body of a message to <mailto:
[email-masked]> . If you want to subscribe to the DCSB
e-mail list, send "subscribe dcsb" in the body of a message to
<mailto: [email-masked]> . We look forward to seeing you
there!

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep