Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] draft-ietf-dkim-base-04 submitted

From: Scott Kitterman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:25 -0700

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 08:10:50 -0700 Eric Allman <[email-masked]> 
wrote:
>I have just submitted draft-ietf-dkim-base-04 to internet-drafts for 
>publication.  An advance view can be found at
>
>    http://www.neophilic.com/~eric/DKIM/draft-ietf-dkim-base-04.txt
>    http://www.neophilic.com/~eric/DKIM/draft-ietf-dkim-base-04.html
>
>There are still some open issues, as noted in Appendix F.1.
>
I'm pretty new to the IETF process, so I would appreciate a clarification 
on how things are supposed to work....

This is, as I understand it, the document that is the midst of a working 
group last call.  I would have expected last call to be on a document that 
was complete.  Is it normal to do a last call on a document with known open 
issues?

Scott K
_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:53:29 -0700

At 1:25 PM -0700 7/16/06, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>Is it normal to do a last call on a document with known open
>issues?

Yes, just as it is normal to wait for all known issues to be fixed. 
It's up to the WG chairs and the WG.
_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:58:46 +0100

> was complete.  Is it normal to do a last call on a document with known open 

Yep, pretty much. Esp. in a case like this where there are a bunch
of minor changes to be done.

But, changes made during the period (e.g. those between -03 and -04)
can of course be the basis for raising new issues. And if something
turns up, of if the changes are major and warrant it, the chairs can
extend the period or start another last call.

If you've expended some time reviewing -03 and don't have time to
figure if your concerns are addressed in -04 (which I can well
understand), then fire away with new issues on -03 and the WG
will figure it out. (Of course if its a known issue, then that's
different.) The html diffs [1] between the I-Ds can be useful there.

Cheers,
Stephen.

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/wg/dkim/draft-ietf-dkim-base/ will show
those diffs once -04 is in the drafts directory.

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:20:21 -0400

Since the I-D drafts repository doesn't have 04 yet, I've attached a
diff betwen 03 and 04. (As generated by
http://tools.ietf.org/tools/rfcdiff/rfcdiff.pyht.)

	Tony Hansen
	[email-masked]

Stephen Farrell wrote:
> 
> 
> Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 08:10:50 -0700 Eric Allman
>> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I'm pretty new to the IETF process, so I would appreciate a
>> clarification on how things are supposed to work....
>>
>> This is, as I understand it, the document that is the midst of a
>> working group last call.  I would have expected last call to be on a
>> document that was complete.  Is it normal to do a last call on a
>> document with known open issues?
>