Subject: [ietf-dkim] Document Action: 'Analysis of Threats Motivating DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM)' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 16:42:05 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Analysis of Threats Motivating DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) '
   <draft-ietf-dkim-threats-03.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Domain Keys Identified Mail Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Russ Housley and Sam Hartman.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dkim-threats-03.txt

Technical Summary

  This document provides an analysis of some threats against Internet
  mail that are intended to be addressed by signature-based mail
  authentication, in particular DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM).  It
  discusses the nature and location of the bad actors, what their
  capabilities are, and what they intend to accomplish via their
  attacks.

Working Group Summary

  The DKIM WG easily reached consensus on the specific threats and on
  how to document them.  A couple of participants had concerns that the
  document contained insufficient detail or was restricting design
  options, but these participants also want the DKIM WG to move on to
  protocol design.

Protocol Quality

  As this is a threat analysis, there are no implementation issues.  The
  DKIM WG chairs solicited review from some current and former IAB
  members, and received review from one, who was not totally pleased
  with the document, nonetheless he helped improve it.  The main issue
  with such an analysis is that one can never know when the work is
  complete.  The DKIM WG did expend significant effort on this document
  both in creating text and review.

  This document was reviewed by Russ Housley for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:09:03 -0700

> This document is the product of the Domain Keys Identified Mail Working Group. 

yay!

d/
-- 

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking
  bbiw.net
_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 23:24:48 +0100

>> This document is the product of the Domain Keys Identified Mail Working Group. 

Indeed. Well done to all (but especially Jim of course) for the timely
and high quality work.

Stephen.