Subject: [ietf-dkim] dkim-base-03 key-*-tag minor issues

From: SUZUKI Takahiko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 16:31:46 +0900 (JST)

I noticed a few minor issues about key-*-tag on dkim-base-03.

#1 Section 3.6.1, key-g-tag includes CFWS which obscures the local-part 
the verifier really need, and is needless for this tag. CFWS should be 
excluded (and comments should be noted with key-n-tag).

[dkim-base-03]
  key-g-tag-lpart = [dot-atom] ["*"] [dot-atom]

should be like

  key-g-tag-lpart = [dot-atom-text] ["*"] [dot-atom-text]

(or 2821-Local-part/2821-Dot-string might be more appropriate.)

[rfc2821]
  Local-part = Dot-string / Quoted-string
  Dot-string = Atom *("." Atom)
  Atom = 1*atext
  Quoted-string = DQUOTE *qcontent DQUOTE

[rfc2822]
  dot-atom        = [CFWS] dot-atom-text [CFWS]
  dot-atom-text   = 1*atext *("." 1*atext)

#2 Section 3.6.1, key-p-tag permits empty value for revoking. So

  key-p-tag    = %x70 [FWS] "=" [FWS] base64string

should be like

  key-p-tag    = %x70 [FWS] "=" [ [FWS] base64string ]

#3 Section 3.6.1, key-h-tag default value (= allowing all algorithms) 
should be able to be specified explicitly. So

  key-h-tag-alg   = "sha1" / "sha256" / x-key-h-tag-alg

should be like

  key-h-tag-alg   = "sha1" / "sha256" / "*" / x-key-h-tag-alg

--
SUZUKI Takahiko <[email-masked]>
Internet Initiative Japan Inc.
_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html

---

From: Eric Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 18:17:00 -0700

--On July 2, 2006 4:31:46 PM +0900 SUZUKI Takahiko 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> #1 Section 3.6.1, key-g-tag includes CFWS which obscures the
> local-part  the verifier really need, and is needless for this tag.
> CFWS should be  excluded (and comments should be noted with
> key-n-tag).
>
> [dkim-base-03]

I think that dot-atom-text makes more sense than Dot-string if only 
because in defining a header field it makes more sense to reference 
2822 than 2821.  I do agree that dot-atom-text is a better choice 
than dot-atom.  Thanks.

>   key-p-tag    = %x70 [FWS] "=" [ [FWS] base64string ]

Agreed.  Fixed.

> #3 Section 3.6.1, key-h-tag default value (= allowing all
> algorithms)  should be able to be specified explicitly. So
>

At the moment we aren't allowing wildcarding for the h= tag other 
than by eliminating it entirely.  We can add this if there is 
consensus.

eric