Subject: RE: [ietf-dkim] Comments on -overview document?

From: "Jim Fenton \(fenton\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 12:31:58 -0700

I started going through the overview doc, but it wasn't clear to me whether discussion on it was welcomed yet on the list, lest it steal focus from -base.

Can the chairs clarify this?

-Jim

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Dave Crocker [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Sunday, July 09, 2006 11:01 AM Pacific Standard Time
To:	ietf-dkim
Subject:	[ietf-dkim] Comments on -overview document?

Folks,

It would be helpful to see some comments on the mailing list about the Overview
document that we've drafted, before the Wednesday session.

Th document is very rough form, so that pointing out redundancies and awkward
wordings, and the like, is probably not where anyone should spend their time.
Still, the document is really quite extensive.

So what I hope we DO get feedback on is about its general organization and
scope, orientation of the different sections, and other such strategic aspects
of the document.

Let me lobby about one particular issue:  We currently do not have anything that
really explains what DKIM is, at a service or non-technical level.  That is, we
have the algorithmic details, in the -base document, but nothing that really
describes the overall, end-to-end service.  The current Overview draft includes
some text that attempts to remedy this.  (It has lots more, but I wanted to
mention this particular portion of it.)

d/
-- 

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking
  bbiw.net
_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html
_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 16:17:51 -0400

> I started going through the overview doc, but it wasn't clear to me 
> whether discussion on it was welcomed yet on the list, lest it steal 
> focus from -base.
> 

The chairs think this is a fine thing to start discussing now.

--
Barry Leiba, DKIM working group chair  ([email-masked])