Subject: [ietf-dkim] IDEA For Verifier Common Trust

From: Hector Santos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 08:59:27 -0400

Verifiers need a way to get a common trust database.

One idea would to start a IETF Working Group for maintaining an 
official standard DKIM-TRUST-BUNDLE.TXT file.  For lack of a better 
term, call it

        DKIMVCT  DKIM Verifier Common Trust

The DKIMVCT WG would decide

    - Criteria for domain nominations and acceptance
    - distribution locations
    - methods to automate change/updates

Deciding what domains gets into this list would be a WG nomination and 
voting process where every domain would get a chance to nominate a 
trust domain and themselves and everyone can express their concerns 
and give their +/- 1.

Some good things:

  - Official list not in control of a commercial vendor

  - IETF exhibits industry wide fairness to all.

  - Bad guys will be recognized so they won't dare to try
    to get into the IETF official list via this WG.

  - ITS FREE!!!

Some Bad Things:

How to see the bad parts here. Very interesting in hearing them.

Overall, we need to get the ball rolling with establishing a protocol 
consistent result model for DKIM verifiers if DKIM is going to see a 
payoff.

Comments?

-- 
HLS

_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html