Subject: [ietf-dkim] Ticket #17 is not a duplicate

From: Douglas Otis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 17:06:04 -0700

Sorry for the repeated message, but the wrong subject line was used.

Barry,

Ticket #17 was listed as a duplicate of Ticket #4
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/dkim/trac/ticket/17

This is not correct!

The result of Ticket #4 was a change that simply said:
,---
Internationalized domain names MUST be converted as described in Section
2.3 of [RFC5890] to "A-Labels"
'---

This failed to specify Fake A-Labels should not be permitted.  The point
made by Ticket #17.  RFC5980 introduces restrictions against 3,329
confusable unicode points not excluded by RFC3490.  Unless A-label
validity checks are made by DKIM, it is not reasonable to assume
RFC5980's added protection are afforded or that it is proper to validate
this very critical input.  This issue becomes extremely important once
 From domains are displayed using UTF-8.  DKIM should be prepared for
this imminent change and anticipate the likely "confusable" exploitation
techniques.

-Doug

_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html