Subject: [ietf-dkim] Last minute MLM addition (6.8)

From: Alessandro Vesely <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 14:22:20 +0200

Section 6.8 proposes a binding between List-Post and the signing domain:

 A signing MLM could add a List-Post: {DKIM 12} header field (see
 [LIST-URLS]) using that DNS domain matching the one used in the "d="
 tag of the DKIM signature that is added by the MLM.  This can be used
 by {DKIM 12} verifiers or receivers to identify the DKIM signature
 that was added by the MLM.  This is not required, however; it is
 believed the reputation of the signer will be a more critical data
 point rather than this suggested binding.  Furthermore, this is not a
 binding recognized by any current specification document.

Proposed replacement (rewording + List-Id addition):

 A signing MLM can make its role apparent by properly choosing the
 signing domain, the one used in the "d=" tag of the DKIM signatures
 added by the MLM.  Recognizing the role of a signer can be important
 for inferring the semantics of any signed content.  Two criteria are
 as follows:

 * A signature can be identified as pertaining to an aliasing or
   resending MLM if the domain-part of the List-Post field matches
   the signing domain.

 * When no List-Post field is present, a signature can be identified
   as pertaining to an authoring or digesting MLM if the right part
   of the List-Id matches the signing domain.

 These criteria are not required, however; it is believed the
 reputation of the signer will be a more critical data point rather
 than these suggested bindings.  Furthermore, these bindings are not
 recognized by any current specification document.

_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 11:56:13 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Alessandro Vesely
> Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:22 AM
> To: DKIM IETF WG
> Subject: [ietf-dkim] Last minute MLM addition (6.8)
> 
> [...]

Works for me, with slightly changed wording of the second bullet point, thus:

"When no List-Post field is present, a signature can be identified as pertaining to an authoring or digesting MLM if the list-id-namespace (see [LIST-ID]) matches the signing domain."