Subject: Re: [Ietf-languages] A code for standard Zhuang

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 10:41:22 -0700

I received this from Melinda Lyons, ISO 639-3 Registrar, for whom I
guess this thread is really intended:

<quote>

I encourage you to consider the implications of coding a "Standard
Zhuang" separately from its base language. This will have international
implications along the lines Doug has suggested in his message, and also
with the Chinese government. The only case I know of where such an
additional code was approved recently was for "Standard Moroccan
Tamazight", where the code was requested by the government. They have
chosen to create a pan-Tamazight language by including vocabulary and
phonetic changes to the base language in order to make it understandable
by all Tamazight speakers in the country. It was approved by the Joint
Advisory Committee as an addition to part 2 (and therefore part 3 of the
standard).
 
We have received requests in the past based on Wikipedia/Wikimedia
requirements, but generally they don't meet the standards necessary for
approval. If this was backed by the Chinese government, then it would
have a stronger case for passage.
 
I will be glad to interact further with anyone who wants to discuss the
code request procedure.

</quote>

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org

---

From: David Starner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 20:18:16 +0000

> guess this thread is really intended:

It's not. It was intended for a community of people who knew ISO 639-3 and
knew languages and hopefully even Zhuang itself (or themselves.) I'm far
from knowing enough to make a proposal.