Subject: [Ietf-languages] language variant subtag "pinyin" modification request

From: Phake Nick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 20:23:31 +0800

1. Name of requester: Phake Nick
2. E-mail address of requester: [email-masked]
3. Record Requested:

Type: variant
Subtag: pinyin
Description: Pinyin romanization
Prefix: zh-Latn
Prefix: zh
Prefix: bo-Latn
Suppress-Script:
Macrolanguage:
Comments:

4. Intended meaning of the subtag: Same as the existing "pinyin" subtag
5. Reference to published description
      of the language (book or article): See the "any other relevant
information" field for details
6. Any other relevant information:
The request is a request to modify an existing entry, with the aim of
adding an additional prefix for the variant subtag "pinyin". The proposed
"zh-pinyin" tag would have same effect as "zh-Latn-pinyin" but it is
shorter and is currently in use in multiple places to reflect Chinese
content being written in Pinyin romanization, including OpenStreetMap. See
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multilingual_names#China

---

From: Michael Everson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 16:16:31 +0000

I think OpenStreetMap should be encouraged to use the existing, valid tag. 

> On 20 Nov 2018, at 12:23, Phake Nick <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>       of the language (book or article): See the "any other relevant information" field for details
> 	The request is a request to modify an existing entry, with the aim of adding an additional prefix for the variant subtag "pinyin". The proposed "zh-pinyin" tag would have same effect as "zh-Latn-pinyin" but it is shorter and is currently in use in multiple places to reflect Chinese content being written in Pinyin romanization, including OpenStreetMap. See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multilingual_names#China
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf-languages mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

---

From: Michael Everson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 16:16:31 +0000

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 11:41:33 -0700

> I think OpenStreetMap should be encouraged to use the existing, valid

"zh-pinyin" is valid; as I wrote, it is "non-suggested but valid." But 
they should be encouraged to use "zh-Latn-pinyin" and other preferred or 
suggested tags.

We would encourage OpenStreetMap to get in touch with this group if they 
have any questions about BCP 47 tagging or would like to make 
suggestions. That would be much better than going ahead and using either 
non-preferred or invalid tags on their own.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org