Subject: AGENDA for NOMCOM

From: James M Galvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 10:13:57 -0500 (EST)

Enclosed below is the current AGENDA for this group, which we do expect
to become a "formal" Working Group.  Please note the AGENDA has grown
some since the last distribution; it may continue to grow.  Note further
the PROCESS proposal at the top of the AGENDA.

I will be trying to use subject lines to create single topic threads.  I
would appreciate your continued cooperation of this organizing
mechanism.

One change in this AGENDA from the last that you should take notice of
is the LAST CALL area.  Previously there were 6 items listed there.
They were the 6 changes I had already incorporated into the latest draft
before we got started.  Two of the items in that listed generated some
discussion before the LAST CALL expired 2 days ago.

I have moved the two items that generated discussion:

    archiving of NOMCOM information

    serving on both IAB and IESG concurrently

to discussion topics.  I will "undo" the changes associated with these
items from the current draft.  As Document Editor I consider the
remaining 4 items completed but they will remain listed in the LAST
CALL section until the Chair indicates they should be moved to
COMPLETED.

I will soon post a couple summaries and start a couple more threads.
It's time to just work the process.  :-)

Jim

AGENDA:

    We are expecting this group to become a formal Working Group.  If
    the IESG approves the Working Group then Avri Doria will be the
    Chair and I will be the Document Editor.

    PROCESS: All agenda items listed will eventually be discussed.  The
    order listed is not necessarily the order in which they will be
    discussed, since sometimes items come up in the context of other
    items.  SUMMARY messages with a proposed consensus will be posted at
    appropriate times.  If the proposed consensus is acceptable a
    RESOLVED message will be posted with proposed specific textual
    changes.  A new draft will be posted from time to time.  A WG LAST
    CALL may be posted for each new draft and will be posted for the
    final draft before submission to the IESG.

UNDER DISCUSSION (as of date indicated)

b. (3/13/2002) disputes regarding selection of NOMCOM members

f. (3/13/2002) archiving of NOMCOM information

i. (3/13/2002) define the role of a liaison

q. (3/13/2002) serving on both IAB and IESG concurrently

g. (3/15/2002) should there be term limits?

h. (3/27/2002) publish list of nominees

AGENDA (as of 3/27/2002)

a. Should there be an ISOC liaison?

c. NOMCOM announcements to all IETF mailing lists

d. Clarifications to Recall Process

e. Clarify filling an interim vacancy very late in an existing NOMCOM
   cycle, i.e., new NOMCOM is currently being created and there is a
   vacancy to be filled

   e.1. Who sends out call for nominations?  Two calls seems confusing
        at best.

   e.2. Perhaps the responsibility should just be picked up by the new
        NOMCOM.

NEW AGENDA ITEMS SINCE 3/12/2002

j. the confirming bodies should have a 1 week timer or the slate is
   approved automatically

k. slate of candidates needs to be presented with supporting
   documentation

l. ADs should have been a working group Chair to be eligible

m. we should be more specific about dates for selection and announcement
   of committee members

n. ISOC President needs to be able to audit the process in order to
   investigate any alleged improprieties

o. need to contact lawyer regarding record keeping requirements

p. Proposed nominees must include:

   1. working email address or other method of contact
   2. indication if for IAB or IESG (or both)
   3. for IAB must include a bullet list of technical expertise
   4. for IESG must include indicated preferred/proposed area

SUMMARIZED (summary posted as of date indicated)

RESOLVED (text posted as of date indicated)

LAST CALL ISSUED (for 2 weeks from date indicated)

call issued 3/13/2002, expired 3/27/2002

   1.  A definition for "sitting member" was added.

   3.  A timeframe for the appointment of the Chair was added.  The
       timeframe could always be inferred from the text but to avoid
       confusion it is now explicitly stated.

   4.  Some explicit guidance was added regarding the timeframe for
       volunteering to serve on the nominating committee.

   5.  Some explicit guidance was added to the process of selecting the
       nominating committee members.  Among other things it must be
       possible to iterate the selection method more than just 10 times
       to ensure that unavailable or ineligible volunteers can be
       replaced.

COMPLETED (as of 3/27/2002)