Subject: Re: Should NomCom rules define who has CB voting rights

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 09:50:51 +0200

--On mandag, mars 31, 2003 22:17:06 -0500 Scott Bradner <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

> I agree with Mike - the IETF chair should not vote on the IESG
> slate (and should not "vote" in any IAB process)
>
> Scott

this is in conflict with the IAB charter.

RFC 2850:

1. IAB Membership

   The Internet Architecture Board (IAB) shall consist of thirteen full
   members, composed of the chair of the Internet Engineering Task Force
   (IETF), and of twelve sitting members.  The IETF chair, who is also
   the chair of the Internet Engineering Steering Group (IESG), may
   participate in all official IAB actions except the approval of IESG
   members and appeals against IESG decisions. Ex-officio and liaison
   members of the IAB may also attend IAB meetings but shall not
   participate in determination of official actions.

please let's not reopen this debate here.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 12:09:56 +0200

> slate (and should not "vote" in any IAB process)

The parenthesis is not correct. BCP 39 gives the IETF Chair full
membership of the IAB, except for this issue and appeals against 
the IESG.

   Brian