Subject: Re: [ietf-nomcom] I-D Action: draft-moonesamy-nomcom-eligibility-00.txt

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 13:41:48 +1200

So, I understand what this is trying to do:

>       Members of the IETF community must have attended at least 3 of
>       last 5 IETF meetings remotely or in person including at least 1 of
>       the 5 last IETF meetings in person in order to volunteer.

It's not unreasonable; on some interpretations of "attended ... remotely"
it would requalify me for NomCom, for example. But it raises two flags for
me:

1. I don't think that physical attendance at one meeting is convincing
as an indication that someone really understands how things work
around here. As John hints, *any* objective criteria are a surrogate
for whether a person groks the culture. But if we must have criteria,
they need to be convincing. I would prefer something more like

...must have attended at least 3 meetings in person, and have
attended at least 3 of the last 5 meetings in person or remotely...

(i.e. this looks at their lifetime history of personal attendance,
and their recent record of any kind of attendance).

2. I didn't find an objective definition of "attend remotely".

    Brian

Regards
   Brian

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 02:45:39 -0700

Hi Brian,
>they need to be convincing. I would prefer something more like

Yes.

>2. I didn't find an objective definition of "attend remotely".

This is an issue and it will have to be addressed.  I prefer not to 
suggest a specific method for now.  To say it differently, we can 
agree about what we would like to do and then get into the details of 
how it can be done.

Please note that I am not ignoring the second flag.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy