Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Registration Of media types application/cdmi-*

From: "Krishna Sankar (ksankar)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 08:52:41 -0700

Folks,
	Is the request ready to for IETF consideration for registration or is there anything pending from our side ? AFAIK, there is nothing to do from my end.
Cheers
<k/> 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Krishna Sankar (ksankar)
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Registration Of media types application/cdmi-*

Agreed and corrected.
----------------------------
6.  IANA Considerations

   This memo includes a request to IANA to register the following media
   types :

   o  application/cdmi-domain

   o  application/cdmi-capability

   o  application/cdmi-container

   o  application/cdmi-object and

   o  application/cdmi-queue

6.1.  Media Type application/cdmi-capability

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: cdmi-capability

   Required parameters: none

   Optional parameters: none

   Encoding considerations: Assumes that the representation is always
   UTF-8, as defined in [RFC3629] and any "charset" MIME parameter will
   be ignored.  The primary transport is HTTP and a base64 encoding is
   appropriate when transporting such objects over other transports like
   email.

   Security considerations: See Section 7 of draft-cdmi-mediatypes-02

   Interoperability considerations: none

   Published specification: draft-cdmi-mediatypes-02

   Applications that use this media type: Implementations of the Cloud
   Data Management Interface (CDMI) defined by the Storage Networking
   Industry Association (SNIA)

   Additional information:

      Magic number(s): none

      File extension(s): none

      Macintosh file type code(s): none

   Person and email address to contact for further information: Arnold
   Jones [email-masked]

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Restrictions on usage: none

   Author: SNIA Cloud Storage Initiative [email-masked]

   Change controller: SNIA Cloud Storage Initiative [email-masked]

6.2.  Media Type application/cdmi-container

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: cdmi-container

   Required parameters: none

   Optional parameters: none

   Encoding considerations: Assumes that the representation is always
   UTF-8, as defined in [RFC3629] and any "charset" MIME parameter will
   be ignored.  The primary transport is HTTP and a base64 encoding is
   appropriate when transporting such objects over other transports like
   email.

   Security considerations: See Section 7 of draft-cdmi-mediatypes-02

   Interoperability considerations: none

   Published specification: draft-cdmi-mediatypes-02

   Applications that use this media type: Implementations of the Cloud
   Data Management Interface (CDMI) defined by the Storage Networking
   Industry Association (SNIA)

   Additional information:

      Magic number(s): none

      File extension(s): none

      Macintosh file type code(s): none

   Person and email address to contact for further information: Arnold
   Jones [email-masked]

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Restrictions on usage: none

   Author: SNIA Cloud Storage Initiative [email-masked]

   Change controller: SNIA Cloud Storage Initiative [email-masked]

6.3.  Media Type application/cdmi-domain

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: cdmi-domain

   Required parameters: none

   Optional parameters: none

   Encoding considerations: Assumes that the representation is always
   UTF-8, as defined in [RFC3629] and any "charset" MIME parameter will
   be ignored.  The primary transport is HTTP and a base64 encoding is
   appropriate when transporting such objects over other transports like
   email.

   Security considerations: See Section 7 of draft-cdmi-mediatypes-02

   Interoperability considerations: none

   Published specification: draft-cdmi-mediatypes-02

   Applications that use this media type: Implementations of the Cloud
   Data Management Interface (CDMI) defined by the Storage Networking
   Industry Association (SNIA)

   Additional information:

      Magic number(s): none

      File extension(s): none

      Macintosh file type code(s): none

   Person and email address to contact for further information: Arnold
   Jones [email-masked]

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Restrictions on usage: none

   Author: SNIA Cloud Storage Initiative [email-masked]

   Change controller: SNIA Cloud Storage Initiative [email-masked]

6.4.  Media Type application/cdmi-object

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: cdmi-object

   Required parameters: none

   Optional parameters: none

   Encoding considerations: Assumes that the representation is always
   UTF-8, as defined in [RFC3629] and any "charset" MIME parameter will
   be ignored.  The primary transport is HTTP and a base64 encoding is
   appropriate when transporting such objects over other transports like
   email.

   Security considerations: See Section 7 of draft-cdmi-mediatypes-02

   Interoperability considerations: none

   Published specification: draft-cdmi-mediatypes-02

   Applications that use this media type: Implementations of the Cloud
   Data Management Interface (CDMI) defined by the Storage Networking
   Industry Association (SNIA)

   Additional information:

      Magic number(s): none

      File extension(s): none

      Macintosh file type code(s): none

   Person and email address to contact for further information: Arnold
   Jones [email-masked]

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Restrictions on usage: none

   Author: SNIA Cloud Storage Initiative [email-masked]

   Change controller: SNIA Cloud Storage Initiative [email-masked]

6.5.  Media Type application/cdmi-queue

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: cdmi-queue

   Required parameters: none

   Optional parameters: none

   Encoding considerations: Assumes that the representation is always
   UTF-8, as defined in [RFC3629] and any "charset" MIME parameter will
   be ignored.  The primary transport is HTTP and a base64 encoding is
   appropriate when transporting such objects over other transports like
   email.

   Security considerations: See Section 7 of draft-cdmi-mediatypes-02

   Interoperability considerations: none

   Published specification: draft-cdmi-mediatypes-02

   Applications that use this media type: Implementations of the Cloud
   Data Management Interface (CDMI) defined by the Storage Networking
   Industry Association (SNIA)

   Additional information:

      Magic number(s): none

      File extension(s): none

      Macintosh file type code(s): none

   Person and email address to contact for further information: Arnold

   Jones [email-masked]

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Restrictions on usage: none

   Author: SNIA Cloud Storage Initiative [email-masked]

   Change controller: SNIA Cloud Storage Initiative [email-masked]

----------------------------
Cheers
<k/>

From: Keith Moore [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2010 6:14 PM
To: Krishna Sankar (ksankar)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Registration Of media types application/cdmi-*

On Sep 26, 2010, at 9:03 PM, Krishna Sankar (ksankar) wrote:

Keith,
	Thanks. Good comments. Corrected.

Thanks, but I have some additional comments.  Taking just one of these as an example:

6.1.  Media Type application/cdmi-capability

  Type name: application

  Subtype name: cdmi-capability

  Required parameters: none
                        ****

  Optional parameters: none
                         ****

  Encoding considerations: The "charset" MIME parameter, if present,
  MUST be set to "UTF-8", as defined in [RFC3629].  

You've declared that there are no parameters, either required or optional, and then you immediately say that the (nonexistent) charset parameter must be set to UTF-8.

Normally application/* types don't have a charset parameter at all.  charset is a parameter that tends to be used with text/* types.  RFC 3629 even says (in section 8) "UTF-8 is suitable for use in MIME content types under the "text" top-level type."

You can define a charset parameter for your type if you want to do so.  But if the charset is always going to be UTF-8, I don't see why you should bother.  Putting a charset parameter there just invites people to set it to something other than UTF-8.

Also, if you want to insist that the representation always be in UTF-8, the best way to do that would appear to be to simply state that the representation is always UTF-8 and that any charset parameter is to be ignored.

_______________________________________________
ietf-types mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-types