Subject: [ietf-types] Registration of media type application/p2p-overlay+xml

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 21:40:06 -0600

The draft-ietf-p2psip-base-15 contains the following MINE Type registration. It would appreciate any comments people wanted to send. Thank you

   To:  [email-masked]

   Subject:  Registration of media type application/p2p-overlay+xml

   Type name:  application

   Subtype name:  p2p-overlay+xml

   Required parameters:  none

   Optional parameters:  none

   Encoding considerations:  Must be binary encoded.  The contents MUST
   be valid XML compliant with the relax NG grammar specified in RFC-
   AAAA and use the UTF-8[RFC3629] character encoding.

   Security considerations:  This media type is typically not used to
   transport information that typically needs to be kept confidential
   however there are cases where it is integrity of the information is
   important.  For these cases using a digital signature is RECOMMENDED.
   One way of doing this is specified in RFC-AAAA.  In the case when the
   media includes a "shared-secret" element, then the contents of the
   file need to be kept confidential or else anyone that can see the
   shared-secret and effect the RELOAD overlay network.

   Interoperability considerations:  Same as application/xml as defined
   in [RFC3023].

   Published specification:  RFC-AAAA

   Applications that use this media type:  The type is used to configure
   the peer to peer overlay networks defined in RFC-AAAA.

   Additional information:  The syntax for this media type is specified
   in Section 10.1 of RFC-AAAA.

   Magic number(s):  none

   File extension(s):  relo

   Macintosh file type code(s):  none

   Person & email address to contact for further information:  Cullen
   Jennings <[email-masked]>

   Intended usage:  COMMON

   Restrictions on usage:  None

   Author:  Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>

   Change controller:  IESG

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 11:16:20 +0200

>   Subject:  Registration of media type application/p2p-overlay+xml

There is no reason to include this part in the specification.

>   Optional parameters:  none

Why are you using the +xml convention but do not specify the type in a
manner consistent with application/xml? Without a very good reason I'd
think you should either add the "charset" parameter or drop the "+xml".

>   AAAA and use the UTF-8[RFC3629] character encoding.

This should either just say "binary" or just reference RFC 3023 as RFC
3023 suggests.

>   Interoperability considerations:  Same as application/xml as defined

If there are no known interoperability issues beyond those of the type 
application/xml, that is what you should say; the considerations here
are certainly not the same.
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/