Subject: [ietf-types] Registration of media type xrd+xml

From: Robin Cover <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 10:41:58 -0400 (EDT)

Type name: application

Subtype name: xrd+xml

Required parameters: None

Optional parameters: "charset": This parameter has identical
semantics to the charset parameter of the "application/xml"
media type as specified in RFC 3023
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3023

Encoding considerations: Identical to those of
application/xml as described by RFC 3023 section 3.2
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3023#section-3.2

Security considerations: [Are] As defined in this
specification [viz., "Extensible Resource Descriptor (XRD)
Version 1.0", Committee Draft 02, 9 March 2010, superseded
by the approved OASIS Standard. 1 November 2010
http://docs.oasis-open.org/xri/xrd/v1.0/os/xrd-1.0-os.html ]
In addition, as this media type uses the "+xml" convention,
it shares the same security considerations as described
in RFC 3023, Section 10
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3023#section-10

Interoperability considerations: There are no known
interoperability issues.

Published specification: The latest approved version
is "Extensible Resource Descriptor (XRD) Version 1.0",
OASIS Standard, 1 November 2010 available at:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/xri/xrd/v1.0/os/xrd-1.0-os.xml
http://docs.oasis-open.org/xri/xrd/v1.0/os/xrd-1.0-os.html
http://www.oasis-open.org/standards#xrdv1.0
The specification was approved (twice) at Committee
Draft level with "Appendix C. Media Type Definition for
application/xrd+xml (Non-Normative)".  In connection with
Committee Draft 03, the Appendix was removed on the
basis of a decision to apply for the media/mime type
registration after the XRD specification was a final
approved OASIS Standard.  See:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/xri/xrd/v1.0/cd02/xrd-1.0-cd02.html#media-type
http://docs.oasis-open.org/xri/xrd/v1.0/cd01/xrd-1.0-cd01.html#media-type

Applications that use this media type: No known
applications currently use this media type.

Additional information:

  Magic number(s): As specified for RFC 3023 section 3.2
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3023#section-3.2

  File extension(s): None

  Macintosh file type code(s): TEXT

Person & email address to contact for further
information:
Drummond Reed, OASIS Extensible Resource Identifier
(XRI) TC Chair
Email: drummond.reed AT xdi.org
TC: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xri/

Intended usage: COMMON

Restrictions on usage: None

Author: OASIS Extensible Resource Identifier (XRI)
Technical Committee

Change controller: OASIS Extensible Resource Identifier
(XRI) Technical Committee, c/o Drummond Reed (Chair),
drummond.reed AT xdi.org

Other information: The OASIS XRI Technical Committee
voted to remove the "Appendix C. Media Type Definition
for application/xrd+xml" in the approved Committee
Specification so that the registration request could be
made once the specification became a final OASIS Standard.

See:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/201104/msg00000.html
Subject: Registration of application/xrd+xml with IETF
From: Drummond Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 11:00:52 -0700
Scott,
I'm sending this question to you because Mary McRae is no longer
with OASIS. After XRD 1.0 became an OASIS Standard last
November 1, OASIS was supposed to register the MIME type
application/xrd+xml with IETF. Eran Hammer-Lahav just checked
and no sign of it.
Can you find out what became of it? We need to get this
registered as soon as we can.

See also:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/201006/msg00020.html
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri-comment/201006/msg00002.html
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/201006/msg00018.html
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/201007/msg00025.html
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/201011/msg00007.html

Submitted by Robin Cover for the OASIS TC Administration
and the OASIS Extensible Resource Identifier (XRI) Technical
Committee.  Email: robin AT oasis-open.org

-- 

Robin Cover
OASIS, Director of Information Services
Editor, Cover Pages and XML Daily Newslink
Email: [email-masked]
Staff bio: http://www.oasis-open.org/people/staff/robin-cover
Cover Pages: http://xml.coverpages.org/
Newsletter: http://xml.coverpages.org/newsletterArchive.html
Tel: +1 972-296-1783

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 17:13:48 +0200

>applications currently use this media type.

This field should identify what kind of application would use the type
like word processors or vector graphics editing applications; it is not
supposed to indentify individual products.

I am not sure I follow what you are saying with respect to the removal
of the media type registration template from the OASIS specifications.
What properly published document currently includes the template, or
which will be edited "soon" so it includes the template?
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

---

From: Robin Cover <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 13:52:09 -0400 (EDT)

Bjoern, thank you for the feedback.  One of the TC
Chairs has been copied, so we will ensure that your
questions are addressed by the principals.

The reqistration request was constructed (mostly verbatim)
from an older OASIS specification, so there may be
relevant updates (e.g., WRT "Applications that use this media type")

I'll continue to monitor this list for additional
comments by the reviewers.

Kindest regards and best wishes,

  - Robin

Robin Cover
Staff bio: http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#cover