Subject: [ietf-types] Request for review: application/evd+xml media type

From: Yves Lafon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 09:47:49 -0400 (EDT)

All,
Here is the registration document for the application/evd+xml media 
type [1] by the W3C Web Services Resource Access Working Group [2].
Cheers,

<<<
This appendix defines the 'application/evd+xml' media type which can be 
used to describe EventDescription documents serialized as XML.

MIME media type name:

     application
MIME subtype name:

     evd+xml
Required parameters:

     none
Optional parameters:

     charset
     This parameter has identical semantics to the charset parameter of the 
'application/xml' media type as specified in [RFC 3023].
Encoding considerations:

     Identical to those of 'application/xml' as described in [RFC 3023], 
section 3.2, as applied to the EventDescriptions document.
Security considerations:

     none
Interoperability considerations:

     There are non known interoperability issues.
Published specification:

     Web Services Event Descriptions (this specification).
Applications which use this media type:

     No known applications currently use this media type.
Additional Information:

     File extension:
     evd

     Fragment identifiers:
     An EventDescriptions fragment identifier references a particular Event 
Type within an EventDescriptions document. The Event Type referenced is 
the Event Type with the @id attribute whos value equals that of the 
fragment identifier component.

     For example, if the EventDescriptions document from Example 4-1 were 
located at "http://www.example.com/eventtypes/oceanwatch", the following 
URI references the Event Type defined in lines 12-14: 
http://www.example.com/eventtypes/oceanwatch#WindReportEvent.

     Base URI:
     As specified in [RFC 3023] section 6.
Person and email address to contact for further information:

     World Wide Wed Consortium <[email-masked]>
Intended usage:

     COMMON
Author/Change controller:

     The WS-EventDescriptions specification is a work product of the World 
Wide Web Consortium's Web Service Resource Access Working Group. The W3C 
has change control over these specifications.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/CR-ws-event-descriptions-20110428/#EVD_MIME
[2] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/ra/

-- 
Baroula que barouleras, au tiéu toujou t'entourneras.

         ~~Yves

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 17:13:32 +0200

>type [1] by the W3C Web Services Resource Access Working Group [2].

Has this been submitted before? It seems to me that the document has had
Candidate Recommendation status for a couple of months, and W3C policy
is to submit on entering Last Call, but there is nothing in my archives.

>used to describe EventDescription documents serialized as XML.

You are using an outdated template, the current template is in RFC 4288.
The current templates structures and names some fields differently.

>     none

Well, at the very least you should point out that the ones in RFC 3023
are likely to apply to implementations of the specific type here aswell.

>     There are non known interoperability issues.

This looks like a typo.

>fragment identifier component.

In addition to the typo, this seems insufficient and I am not sure how
compatible this is other types and what some people would like to change
the existing specifications to. I note in particular that you don't say
whether for instance "#x" would match id=' x ' (note the spaces); I also
note that you don't define the `id` attribute as ID attribute and don't
say how this works for actual ID attributes or magic ones like xml:id.

>     As specified in [RFC 3023] section 6.

The only reason to include this that I can think of is to mislead people
into thinking RFC 3023 has anything to say on that even though it does
not. If you don't want to say anything about Base URIs, then don't.
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

---

From: Yves Lafon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 11:22:06 -0400 (EDT)

> is to submit on entering Last Call, but there is nothing in my archives.

It hasn't, unfortunately. A missed step that we are trying to recover 
from.

         ~~Yves

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 22:23:34 +0200

>    Web Services Event Descriptions (this specification).

Just in case an obvious point, this would appear "as is"
(out of a "this" context) in the registry, better use an
URI when you fix Björn's nits.

-Frank

---

From: Yves Lafon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 15:41:13 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks Björn, here is the revised version of the media type definition:

Type name:

     application
Subtype name:

     evd+xml
Required parameters:

     none
Optional parameters:

     charset

     Same as that of Section 10 in [RFC 3023].
Interoperability considerations:

     There are no known interoperability issues.
Published specification:

     Magic number(s):
     None.

     File extension(s):
     evd

     Fragment identifiers:
     An EventDescriptions fragment identifier references a particular Event 
Type within an EventDescriptions document. The Event Type referenced is 
the Event Type with the @id attribute whose normalized value (per 
[xml:id]) equals that of the fragment identifier component.

     Macintosh file type code(s):
     No Macintosh file type code defined.
Person and email address to contact for further information:

     COMMON
Restrictions on usage:

     none.

> say how this works for actual ID attributes or magic ones like xml:id.

This has been clarified, both in the media type definition and in the 
schema associated.

         ~~Yves