Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Request for review of N-Triples (an RDF serialization) media type: application/n-triples

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 22:10:45 +0200

* Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
>Type name:
>    application
>Subtype name:
>    n-triples
>Required parameters:
>    None
>Optional parameters:
>    None
>Encoding considerations:
>    The syntax of N-Triples is expressed over code points in Unicode [UNICODE]. The encoding is always UTF-8 [UTF-8].
>    Unicode code points may also be expressed using an \uXXXX (U+0 to U+FFFF) or \UXXXXXXXX syntax (for U+10000 onwards) where X is a hexadecimal digit [0-9A-F]

This is supposed to simply say something like "8bit" or "binary", see
RFC 4288 for details.

>Security considerations:

I have not look at these, but since this is very long, it might make
more sense to have this as part of the Security Considerations section
of the document that defines the format, and simply put a reference
into the template.

>Published specification:
>    This specification.

As I recall it, unlike for RFC registrations, IANA would put this in
a document on their site, so this should give a full(er) citation.

If you want to say anything about fragment identifiers, like what the
`#example` in `http://example.org/example.nt#example` refers to, or
if you want to discourage such usage, that should be included. Not a
requirement currently, but since this is an RDF type, this might be
relevant.
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

---

From: "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 15:20:47 +0900

> This is supposed to simply say something like "8bit" or "binary", see

I think it's actually very good to say that N-Triples are always in 
UTF-8 somewhere in the template. This could stay here, changing it e.g.
as follows:

The character encoding is always UTF-8. This media type therefore has to 
be transported as "8bit", or futher encoded for "7bit" transport.

> a document on their site, so this should give a full(er) citation.

Yes, please make the registration template self-contained, even if that 
might look a bit like overkill when it's looked at in the spec.

Regards,   Martin.