Subject: Re: [ietf-types] Review of text/parameters

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 21:59:18 +0200

* Magnus Westerlund wrote:
>https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc2326bis/

>22.16.  Media Type Registration for text/parameters
>
>   Type name:  text
>
>   Subtype name:  parameters
>
>   Required parameters:
>
>   Optional parameters:

Well, text types usually have a 'charset' parameter, and applications
are known to treat, say, a HTTP response with

  Content-Type: text/parameters;charset=iso-8859-1

As ISO-8859-1 encoded document, even though I gather they are to use
UTF-8 to decode the document. If you don't want a 'charset' parameter,
this problem should be noted in the Security or Interoperability con-
siderations.

>   Encoding considerations:

This field needs a value (probably "8bit" or "binary").
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 09:41:56 +0200

Thanks for the review.

> this problem should be noted in the Security or Interoperability con-

Yes, you are correct. I guess having the charset being applicable to the
values of the parameters would be very reasonable. The parameters
themselves are in this format restricted to visible 7-bit US-ASCII
characters.

> This field needs a value (probably "8bit" or "binary").

That would be 8bit if I interpret that definition correctly. This will
only contain UTF8 text.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------