Subject: Re: this is insane.

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 07:08:53 -0800

Perry E. Metzger <[email-masked]> writes:

I'm replying (belatedly) to the first message in this thread because of
rather wide streak of elitism and arrogance (and not a little hypocrisy)
that seems to be reflected in it.

>
>The meeting is just too big. I have missed two working group meetings
>today because rooms were too crowded.

Which ones?  Was there no standing room, or just no seating left?  In other
words, did you miss the meeting because ther really was _no_ space in the
room or because you were not able to sit and be comfortable?  I _chose_ not
to attend a couple of meetings because I couldn't sit; I consider this to be
more an indication of my interest level (and the corresponding likliehood of
my making a meaningful contribution) than the overcrowding of the room.

>We have to do something about
>the problem, and holding meetings in football arenas is NOT the
>answer.

If you are willing to endure Ottawa in winter, why not stand for an hour and
a half?  I'm picking on Perry (perhaps unfairly), but this whole thread has
the tone of aristocrats whining about the rabble.  I see no reason why Perry
or I or Fred Baker or Vint Cerf (well, maybe Vint :-) intrinsically
_deserves_ to sit in a meeting while others stand.  The larger meetings have
PA systems and if one is actively participating it is often _more_
convenient to stand then sit anyway; it is inconvenient if one's intent is
to read email or play solitaire, though.   I know one thing: I would much
rather have a clueless newbie who was willing to do work in my meetings than
the entire IESG, if the latter were merely adding  cachet and taking up
space.

>
>Perry
>
>-
>This message was passed through [email-masked], which
>is a sublist of [email-masked]. Not all messages are passed.
>Decisions on what to pass are made solely by Harald Alvestrand.
>

---

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:24:21 -0500

"Glen Zorn" writes:
> Was there no standing room, or just no seating left?  In other
> room or because you were not able to sit and be comfortable?

*NO* room. The fire marshall would have shut the room down.

> a half?

I'm happy standing. There was not even standing room left.

Perry

---

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:24:21 -0500

Perry