Subject: One-day pass

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 09:18:11 -0500

Some time ago, Fred Baker reported on revenue shortfalls from the IETF
meetings, noting that we have a significant number of participants who do
not pay.  In my experience, one class of such "interlopers" are people who
come for one session only and feel that they should not have to pay for the
entire week.  (For those who take the position that the total amount is not
painful enough to worry about, I commend you to the perspective of those
who pay their own way.)

So, I would like to suggest that we permit a one-day pass, for
approximately one-third of the total fee.  For example, a one-day pass to
Orlando would be, perhaps, US$ 100.00.  

Personally, I am quite sympathetic to current, one-session interlopers, but
would not be if we had day passes.

d/

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker                                       Tel: +60 (19) 3299 445
<mailto:[email-masked]>             Post Office Box 296, U.P.M.
                                         Serdang, Selangor 43400 MALAYSIA
Brandenburg Consulting                                          
<http://www.brandenburg.com>                       Tel: +1 (408) 246 8253
Fax: +1(408)273 6464              675 Spruce Dr., Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA

---

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 13:35:10 +0000

At 00:44 11/12/98 -0500, Keith Moore wrote:
>> So, I would like to suggest that we permit a one-day pass,
>
>This and other issues come up so often, that I'm starting to think that 
>the IETF list needs an FAQ.  (why is our community memory so short?)

Probably because there isn't a FAQ.  I suspect that the core of long-timers
is a minority of the total participating population at any time.

As for setting a price, one must also consider perceived value as well as
cost.

#g

------------
Graham Klyne
([email-masked])

---

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 13:35:10 +0000

#g

------------
Graham Klyne
([email-masked])

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 13:34:23 +0100

Further,
it is fairly easy to become a "tourist". It is Wednesday afternoon, you have
attended (actively) the group meetings you planned to (more or less
actively).
Your next meeting is Thursday afternoon, so you slip into a meeting that is
kind of interesting, but there you (at lest not yet) have expertise or plans
to contribute that particular meeting.

So if you stay in the corridor you are a participant, while if you go into
the room you're at tourist.

/Loa

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Brim [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: den 12 december 1998 02:00
To: Keith Moore
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: One-day pass

Keith, I don't believe that was the original poster's intent.  If it is
the
case that people are coming for just one or two days, and are sneaking
into
meetings, the IETF could attempt to make some money off it.  You assume
that if the IETF sold one-day passes we would lose money because a large
percentage of the paying attendees would only pay for one or two days. 
Did
you actually do a survey?

...Scott

Keith Moore wrote:

> Meeting costs are not even close to linear in the amount of time
> we spend at meetings.    We need the same number of meeting rooms,
> at approximately the same sizes, even if some people don't show up
> all week.  The cost of the cokes and cookies and badges - that is
> the cost per individual - isn't that big a percentage of the
> whole cost of holding the meeting.
>
> Worse, if enough people just show up for one day, then the hotel
> doesn't sell as many rooms as the contract requires, and IETF ends
> up paying more for the meeting space.
>
> And we already have too many groups working at cross purposes
> because of a lack of cross-pollenation...
>
> Keith

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 13:34:23 +0100

Further,

/Loa

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Brim [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: den 12 december 1998 02:00
To: Keith Moore
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: One-day pass

...Scott