Subject: ASCII to be phased out? (was: Re: Source Format of RFCs)

From: "Martin J. Duerst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 10:13:24 +0900

At 19:16 98/11/30 -0800, [email-masked] wrote:

> This has been debated many times over the years, and the bottom line
> has always been that (1) grep works only for ASCII text, and (2) people
> want to be able to easily cut and paste bits of RFCs for many
> purposes.
> 
> Bob Braden

I have just learned from Ed Hart ([email-masked]) that the
committee responsible for 7-bit ASCII (US-ASCII in IETF) is proposing
that that standard be obsoleted. I agreed with Ed that that would most
probably be a bad idea. He asked me to ask for comments; he will bring
those back to the relevant committee.

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:[email-masked]   http://www.w3.org

---

From: "Martin J. Duerst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 10:13:24 +0900

Regards,   Martin.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 23:29:16 +0000

I doubt if a minor bureaucratic occurrence like that will
change much in the real world. 

   Brian

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 23:29:16 +0000

Brian

---

From: "Theodore Y. Ts'o" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 20:32:59 -0500

Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 23:29:16 +0000
   From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>

Indeed, the story of King Canute the Great comes to mind.  It's hard not
to draw the parallel between the committee proposing that the 7-bit
ASCII standard be obsoleted and King Canute's flattering courtiers.  :-)

(Incidentally, I agree it would be a bad idea.)

						- Ted

---

From: "Theodore Y. Ts'o" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 20:32:59 -0500

- Ted