Subject: Contributing at meetings...

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 10:31:15 +0000

At 19:29 18/12/98 -0500, Keith Moore wrote:
>> Most people who show up are lurking.
[...]
>there may be a group dynamics effect at work here - if you get more than
>say 30 people in a room, most of them will keep their mouths shut unless
>called on.

I believe you may be correct in this ...

>maybe we need to find better ways to give voice to the silent majority
>of would-be contributors, rather than implicitly favoring the bold/obnoxious.

... but I don't think it's a problem.  Anyone can have their say on the
mailing list if they have anything to add.

(I also note that with more people present, it's more likely that someone
else makes the same point first;  pointless repetition is, er, pointless.)

#g

------------
Graham Klyne
([email-masked])

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 13:40:47 -0600

>mailing list if they have anything to add.

Well, there ARE techniques for leading group discussion which helps to draw
out quiet participants more.  These were used quite carefully at the
Singapore IFWP.  It would probably be worth trying to add a bit aboout this
to the working group chairs training.

>else makes the same point first;  pointless repetition is, er, pointless.)

Graham is right.  Absolutely right.  It's important not to repeated what
has been said, when all the follow-on statement is saying is agreement
(unless there is a need to assess consensus).  I couldn't agree with him
more...

d/

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker                                       Tel: +60 (19) 3299 445
<mailto:[email-masked]>             Post Office Box 296, U.P.M.
                                         Serdang, Selangor 43400 MALAYSIA
Brandenburg Consulting                                          
<http://www.brandenburg.com>                       Tel: +1 (408) 246 8253
Fax: +1(408)273 6464              675 Spruce Dr., Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 13:40:47 -0600

d/