Subject: The IETF Web Site

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 12:21:34 -0600

@@@@ http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/msg03351.html

> How does one do illustrations with just html?

<pre>
     +--------------------------+
     |  Insert ascii art here   |
     +--------------------------+
</pre>

Never overlook the obvious low-tech solution ;)

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Maybe the IETF should convert their web site back to ASCII ?
It could be located at http://ascii.ietf.org

The IETF logo could probably be constructed from a bunch of
forward slashes and back slashes. That blue text and those
fonts can easily be removed. There is no need for the blue
bullets and the various horizontal lines and bars. The mailing
list http://www.ietf.org/maillist.html does not need to have all
that indenting and the ability to view it via author, date, etc.
Just raw ASCII will work and the complete SMTP header can
be included so that people see everything that is sent.

According to the IETF experts, this will improve the ability to
communicate and make the site more searchable and easier
to read. The IETF should follow the advice of the experts that
lead it. In summary, the IETF (and for that matter the ISOC)
should practice what they preach.

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation

P.S. The rest of the world does not have to be narrow-minded
and restrictive. Why not reserve that for the IETF ? Then people
of like mind can gravitate to the IETF and everyone will be happy.