Subject: Re: Political correctness (was: Outlawing PowerPoint)

From: Maurizio Codogno <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 14:11:25 +0100 (MET)

Dave Crocker:

:Can we PLEASE start looking at serious matters that affect group process
:and not on the zillion ancillary issues and artifacts?
:
:Meeting process is affected by some basic physical characteristics of the
:meeting room, by the knowledge of a sufficient set of attendees, by the
:combined intent of all attendees, and by the tone and skill of the meeting
:chair.

Probably the best solution is the simplest, that is the cardboards on the 
first lines for the "nice" attendees, that is those who had confirmed 
their presence to the Chair (after all, this means they have at least
read the mailing-list!) plus some place for Area Directors and such.

ciao, .mau.

---

From: Joel Halpern <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 11:27:53 -0500 (EST)

Actually, there are some assumptions here that I find "interesting". 
1) When I was an AD, I rarely wanted to be at the front of the room.
   To watch the interaction, and see who was asying what, it is much
   easier from further back in the room.

2) As a participant in several crowded working groups this time, I never
   found being in the back to be a problem.  I could hear and see
   sufficiently.    If I wanted to get to the Microphone, it was not a
   problem.

The only problem for participatns, ADs, etc is being able to get in the
room.  It is nice to get a chair somewhere.  But, getting to the front has
never seemed critical or problematic.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern                         [email-masked]
Newbridge Networks Inc.

---

From: Joel Halpern <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 11:27:53 -0500 (EST)

Yours,