Subject: IPv6/IPv4 cross compatability in dns

From: Maurice Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 18:45:01 -0500

Ok, I give up. I'm a college student writting a paper on a subtopic of
IPv6.
One issue that has come up is DNS. This seems to be the weak link.
Specifically, name servers must be IPv6 compatable in order to be able
to handle both therefor all DNS must be upgraded first. More to the
point, an IPv4 server can't handle an IPv6 request. What I want to know
is: 

Is my assessment correct?

If not where will I find the documentation to the contrary?

Please spare the list any heated responses and respond directly to my
personel email.

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 15:47:21 +0100

In your previous mail you wrote:

   
=> for any service an IPv6 only client can't get anything from an IPv4
only server (all other cases, including dual stack modes, work) then you
have to use in this case a proxy or a protocol translator.

=> for DNS the proxy service is built-in and is named "recursion",
ie you just need a dual stack DNS server with recursive service enabled
at the border of the two (IPv4 & IPv6) worlds.

=> your question is useful because it shows we need IPv4/IPv6 transport
support in the next version of BIND...

Regards

[email-masked]

PS: the good list for this kind of topics is NGTRANS one
(http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ngtrans-charter.html)

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 15:47:21 +0100

Regards

[email-masked]