Subject: Re: *** Change this to the real subject ***

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 00:40:44 -0800

>On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Ole J. Jacobsen wrote:
>
>> I am very pleased to see that "Replace with the right stuff" has been
>> published as an RFC. I think this is an important document
>

Indeed, "Replace with the right stuff" is a profound document that
should be carefully studied. Some points in its favor:

1. It makes no claim about being the correct long term solution
to any problem. 

2. It does not even pretend to be a useful interim solution, 
"on the road" to something "right."

3. The slogan "Replace with the right stuff" represents 
a frank, honest assessment of the document's value which 
applies to many of the informational RFCs that are being
published today. In fact, it is worth considering whether we
should consider publication of an RWTRF series of documents,
with RFC 2461 as RWTRF 1.

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 15:17:32 +0000 (GMT)

> should be carefully studied. Some points in its favor:

additional points:

terse, concise, short, no unnecessary redundancy apart from
pagination.

it acknowledges that it may be obsoleted in future.

implementation interoperability issues are minimised.

there are no security considerations.

minimal working group infighting to agree on content. This is not the
RED you're looking for...

in not having author names present, any accusations of being a
Vanity Informational RFC are prevented. This wasn't written because
someone wanted his name on an RFC...

L.

so, what do you people do for humour around here?

> with RFC 2461 as RWTRF 1. 

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 15:17:32 +0000 (GMT)

additional points:

L.