Subject: Joint ISO/SC6, ITU-T, IETF BOF in Orlando

From: [email-masked] (Jack Holdsworth)
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 08:08:46 -0800

Resend to IETF list.

Announcement of Joint ITU-T, ISO/SC6, IETF BOF in Orlando 

Subject: 

QOSMC - Protocols for Negotiated-QOS Multicast Communication

Time: Monday 7 December at 7.30 pm

Documents:
 
Internet Draft of Enhanced Communication Transport Service (ECTS)
draft-kim-jtc1-sc6-ects-04.txt

Draft Enhanced Communication Transport Protocol (ECTP) - being filed as an
Internet Draft but may miss cut-off - can be accessed at
http://pec.etri.re.kr/ectsp/ectp/#ectp

Discussion list:
 
[email-masked].  To join this discussion list mail to [email-masked]
with the message: 
subscribe qmc-list <your address>

Agenda:

1.	Jack Houldsworth will Introduce speakers, content and  objective of BOF
(2 Minutes)

2.	Background to work - Alan Chambers, Convenor SC6/WG7.	            (10
minutes)

3.	Dae Young  Kim - ECTS / ECTP covering:   
			Approach to QoS
			Issues addressed 
			Milestones so far
			Issues oustanding
			Opportunities for collaboration.
                                                                           
                                             (20 minutes)

4.	Wolfgang Fritsche - Multicast Protocols covering:     
			Issues addressed 
			Milestones so far
			Issues oustanding
			Opportunities for collaboration.
                                                                           
                                              (20 minutes)
5.	Alan Chambers bring together, and open discussion     

6.	One and a half hours allowed for discussion

7.	Wrap up and  confirm:

	Opportunities for collaboration?
	Ongoing actions
	Where do we go from here:
				Another BOF? March? or a WG?
				Fold into existing WG? if so which?
	Who does what?

Useful Background:

For some time, SC 6 and ITU-T SG 7 have been co-operating on the
development of specifications for multi-party communications in what would
traditionally be labelled the Transport layer -- that is, above the Network
layer, and of a general nature to support a range of different kinds of
application. The two major features of the work that go beyond traditional
Transport protocols are multicast operation, and the provision of means to
express, negotiate and maintain the quality of service of communication in
a multi-party environment. 

The multicast provision considered is biased towards relatively small
groups of communicating participants. In the current and near-term
marketplace, we would also expect deployment and use of such protocols to
be biased towards the intranet environment, more than the global Internet;
in the longer term, that bias might very well change.

In parallel with development of the protocol specifications, there have
been several implementation projects that are now able to demonstrate the
effectiveness of the approach that has been adopted.

Early work, now completed, on ECTS (Enhanced Communications Transport
Service) has been used to focus and direct the protocol development. We
have tried to identify, and so avoid re-inventing, existing protocols like
RTP which could meet some of the needs and also to identify gaps where new
protocols need to be developed. Related work has identified the requirement
for associated, ancillary, protocols -- possibly generic, possibly related
to particular kinds of application area -- and some experimental work in
these areas has been carried out.

The resulting protocol development work -- labelled ECTP -- deals with two
main areas: firstly, a set of protocol functions that provide a framework
for control of multicast conversations, including negotiation of a wide
range of possible quality of service values, and consequent selection of
suitable bearer protocols at or just above the Network layer for the actual
data transfer; and secondly, development of a specific multicast bearer
protocol offering a range of reliability options. 

The BOF will introduce the collaborative SC6 and ITU-T SG7 work to the
wider development arena of the IETF.  The level of interest in raising this
to a 3 - way collaboration embracing the requirements and expertise of the
IETF will be assessed during the discussions which follow the short
introduction.  SC6 and ITU-T hope and expect to stimulate wider interest
and participation in further developing some strands of the technical work,
including some that would take advantage of IETF work, such as RTP. 

According to the results of the discussion activity, we would hope to
generate a further BOF session at a subsequent IETF meeting, with a view to
pursuing well identified work items in a suitably chartered new Working
Group or within existing working groups such as MMUSIC if appropriate.