Subject: this is insane.

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Dec 1998 16:35:55 -0500

The meeting is just too big. I have missed two working group meetings
today because rooms were too crowded. We have to do something about
the problem, and holding meetings in football arenas is NOT the
answer.

Perry

---

From: Ken Key <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 14:36:42 -0800

It sucks out in MBone land, too (at least my area).  Yesterday I could 
see sessions in SDR, but not get audio or video.  Whiteboard usually
had some scribbling on it.  Today, not even sessions show up.  I get
the IMJ, NASA TV, etc just fine.  Just not the IETF...

Is it just "me" or is everyone else on the MBone having problems receiving
the IETF?

Regards,
K^2

--
Ken Key ([email-masked])
Network Alchemy,    Santa Cruz, CA

---

From: Ken Key <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 14:36:42 -0800

Regards,
K^2

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 16:27:30 PST

Try using multicast traceroute
(ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/net-research/ipmulti/mtrace-5.2*)
to determine what's going wrong.

% mtrace -S 120 mbone1.mtg.ietf.org sap.mcast.net

to see if you can find out why you're not getting the SAP announcement
in your SDR, or while traffic is flowing (i.e. while sessions are
running, like not right now),

% mtrace mbone1.mtg.ietf.org ietf-1-video.mcast.net

to see if you can find out why video doesn't make it to you.

  Bill

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 16:27:30 PST

Bill

---

From: Dorian Kim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 22:30:28 -0500

> Is it just "me" or is everyone else on the MBone having problems receiving

Doesn't seem to have a problem from here.

-dorian

Mtrace from 198.67.179.23 to 204.212.44.2 via group 224.0.1.18
Querying full reverse path... 
  0  thorn.blackrose.org (204.212.44.2)
 -1  rtr1-ether1-0.blackrose.org (204.212.44.9)  PIM/BGP4+  thresh^ 1  
 -2  blackrose.arb1.verio.net (205.238.52.1)  PIM/BGP4+  thresh^ 0  
 -3  fe1-0-0.arb0.verio.net (129.250.30.241)  PIM/BGP4+  thresh^ 0  
 -4  arb0.pit1.verio.net (205.238.56.153)  PIM/BGP4+  thresh^ 0  
 -5  fe5-1-0.pit0.verio.net (205.238.57.241)  PIM/BGP4+  thresh^ 0  
 -6  pit0.mdt1.verio.net (129.250.2.2)  PIM/BGP4+  thresh^ 0  
 -7  fe0-0-0.mdt0.verio.net (205.238.57.225)  PIM/BGP4+  thresh^ 0  
 -8  mdt0.phl0.verio.net (129.250.2.105)  PIM/BGP4+  thresh^ 0  
 -9  phl0-1.pne0-1.verio.net (129.250.2.133)  PIM/BGP4+  thresh^ 0  Reached RP/Core
-10  sl-nap1-pen-4-0-0.sprintlink.net (192.36.137.9)  PIM/BGP4+  thresh^ 0  Reached RP/Core
-11  sl-bb10-pen-5-3.sprintlink.net (144.232.5.61)  PIM/BGP4+  thresh^ 0  
-12  sl-bb12-pen-9-0.sprintlink.net (144.232.5.153)  PIM/BGP4+  thresh^ 0  
-13  sl-bb10-rly-5-0.sprintlink.net (144.232.8.153)  PIM/BGP4+  thresh^ 0  
-14  sl-bb4-dc-0-0-0.sprintlink.net (144.232.7.154)  PIM/BGP4+  thresh^ 0  
-15  sl-bb2-orl-6-1-0-T3.sprintlink.net (144.232.8.61)  PIM/BGP4+  thresh^ 0  
-16  sl-bb11-orl-1-1.sprintlink.net (144.232.2.141)  PIM/BGP4+  thresh^ 0  
-17  sl-gw2-orl-4-0-0.sprintlink.net (144.232.2.178)  PIM/BGP4+  thresh^ 0  
-18  sl-bsg-2-0-0-T3.sprintlink.net (144.232.153.34)  PIM  thresh^ 0  Reached RP/Core
-19  mbone3.mtg.ietf.org (198.67.179.23)
Round trip time 86 ms; total ttl of 18 required.

Waiting to accumulate statistics...Results after 9 seconds:

  Source        Response Dest    Overall     Packet Statistics For Traffic From
198.67.179.23   224.0.1.32       Packet      198.67.179.23 To 224.0.1.18
     v       __/  rtt  140 ms     Rate       Lost/Sent = Pct  Rate
198.67.179.1   
144.232.153.34  sl-bsg-2-0-0-T3.sprintlink.net Reached RP/Core
     v     ^      ttl    2       219 pps        0/302  =  0%  33 pps
144.232.153.33 
144.232.2.178   sl-gw2-orl-4-0-0.sprintlink.net 
     v     ^      ttl    3       220 pps        0/302  =  0%  33 pps
144.232.2.177  
144.232.2.141   sl-bb11-orl-1-1.sprintlink.net 
     v     ^      ttl    4       216 pps        1/302  =  0%  33 pps
144.232.2.142  
144.232.8.61    sl-bb2-orl-6-1-0-T3.sprintlink.net 
     v     ^      ttl    5       219 pps        1/301  =  0%  33 pps
144.232.8.62   
144.232.7.154   sl-bb4-dc-0-0-0.sprintlink.net 
     v     ^      ttl    6       219 pps       -1/300  =  0%  33 pps
144.232.7.153  
144.232.8.153   sl-bb10-rly-5-0.sprintlink.net 
     v     ^      ttl    7       220 pps        0/301  =  0%  33 pps
144.232.8.154  
144.232.5.153   sl-bb12-pen-9-0.sprintlink.net 
     v     ^      ttl    8       225 pps        2/301  =  0%  33 pps
144.232.5.154  
144.232.5.61    sl-bb10-pen-5-3.sprintlink.net 
     v     ^      ttl    9       227 pps        0/299  =  0%  33 pps
144.232.5.62   
192.36.137.9    sl-nap1-pen-4-0-0.sprintlink.net Reached RP/Core
     v     ^      ttl   10       220 pps        0/299  =  0%  33 pps
192.36.137.4   
129.250.2.133   phl0-1.pne0-1.verio.net Reached RP/Core
     v     ^      ttl   11        69 pps       -1/299  =  0%  33 pps
129.250.2.134  
129.250.2.105   mdt0.phl0.verio.net 
     v     ^      ttl   12        68 pps       -4/300  = -1%  33 pps
129.250.2.106  
205.238.57.225  fe0-0-0.mdt0.verio.net 
     v     ^      ttl   13        69 pps        3/304  =  0%  33 pps
205.238.57.226 
129.250.2.2     pit0.mdt1.verio.net 
     v     ^      ttl   14        68 pps        6/301  =  1%  33 pps
129.250.2.1    
205.238.57.241  fe5-1-0.pit0.verio.net 
     v     ^      ttl   15        68 pps       -5/295  = -1%  32 pps
205.238.57.242 
205.238.56.153  arb0.pit1.verio.net 
     v     ^      ttl   16        69 pps        6/300  =  2%  33 pps
205.238.56.154 
129.250.30.241  fe1-0-0.arb0.verio.net 
     v     ^      ttl   17        67 pps       -8/294  = -2%  32 pps
129.250.30.242 
205.238.52.1    blackrose.arb1.verio.net 
     v     ^      ttl   18        69 pps        3/302  =  0%  33 pps
205.238.52.2   
204.212.44.9    rtr1-ether1-0.blackrose.org 
     v      \__   ttl   19        70 pps        ?/299         33 pps
204.212.44.2    204.212.44.2
  Receiver      Query Source

-dorian

---

From: Dorian Kim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 22:30:28 -0500

-dorian

-dorian

---

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 00:28:56 -0500

I would remind people that it is in order for Working Group chairs to
give front seating preference to those who have read the drafts and
presumably someone attempting to attend a WG meeting that was over
crowded and had read the drafts could request this.

Donald

From:  "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
To:  [email-masked]
Reply-To:  [email-masked]
Date:  08 Dec 1998 16:35:55 -0500
Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

---

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 00:28:56 -0500

Donald