Subject: Internet Monthly Report for October, 1998

From: IMR Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 09:54:24 -0800

October 1998

INTERNET MONTHLY REPORTS
------------------------

The purpose of these reports is to communicate to the Internet Research
Group the accomplishments, milestones reached, or problems discovered by
the participating organizations.

Each organization is expected to submit a 1/2 page report on the
first business day of the month describing the previous month's
activities.   These reports should be submitted via network mail
to "[email-masked]".

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

The Internet Monthly Report mailing list is now managed by MajorDomo
at ISI.EDU.  The announcements of new issues on the Internet Monthly
Report are sent to the IETF-Announce list and to this IMR list.

Requests to be ADDED or DELETED from the Internet Monthly report list
should be sent to "[email-masked]" with the message body either
"subscribe imr" or "unsubscribe imr".

Details on obtaining the current IMR, or back issues, via FTP or EMAIL
may be obtained by sending an EMAIL message to "[email-masked]" with
the message body "help: ways_to_get_imrs".  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting imrs

        help: ways_to_get_imrs

or  URL: http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/imr/

Ramos                                                           [Page 1]

Internet Monthly Report                                     October 1998

TABLE OF CONTENTS

  INTERNET ARCHITECTURE BOARD

     IAB MESSAGE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page  3
     INTERNET ENGINEERING REPORTS  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page  3

  Internet Projects

     INTERNIC. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 14
       Network Solutions Report. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 14
       US Domain Registry. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 15
     MERIT INTERNET ENGINEERING. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 17
     UCL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 18
     IANA REPORT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 18
     RFC EDITOR REPORT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 19

  CALENDAR OF EVENTS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 20
    TERENA List of Meetings  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 22

Ramos                                                           [Page 2]

Internet Monthly Report                                     October 1998

INTERNET ARCHITECTURE BOARD

     The minutes of the IAB back to 1990 are available for anonymous ftp
     access on host ftp.isi.edu, directory /pub/IAB, or via the IAB
     World-Wide Web page with URL http://www.iab.org/iab/.

     Brian Carpenter IAB Chair

INTERNET ENGINEERING REPORTS
----------------------------

                Internet Monthly Report for October, 1998

  1. The final meeting of the year will be held in Orlando, Florida
     from December 7-11, 1998. This meeting is being hosted by
     Microsoft. Registration is scheduled to begin the first part of
     October.

     Once all arrangements have been made, notifications will be sent
     to the IETF Announcement list. Remember that information on
     future meetng sites can always be found in the file
     0mtg-sites.txt, located on the IETF shadow directories. Of
     course, this information is provided on the Web. The IETF's URL
     is:

                          http://www.ietf.org/

  2. The minutes of the IESG teleconferences be found on all the IETF
     Shadow directories in the /iesg directory.

     The following IESG minutes have been added:

       September 24, 1998 (iesg.98-09-24)
       October 8, 1998 (iesg.10-08)

  3. The IESG approved or recommended the following 20 Protocol
     Actions during the month of October, 1998:

     o Advancement of MIB specifications on the IETF Standards Track
       for publication as a Best Current Practices RFC.

     o A Distributed MARS Service Using SCSP for publication as an
       Experimental Protocol.

Ramos                                                           [Page 3]

Internet Monthly Report                                     October 1998

     o The Batch SMTP Media Type for publication as an Informational
       RFC.

     o Collaboration between ISOC/IETF and ITU-T for publication as an
       Informational RFC.

     o Definitions of Managed Objects for the DS0 and DS0 Bundle
       Interface Type for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o RTP Payload Format for JPEG-compressed Video for publication as
       a Proposed Standard.

     o POP3 Extension Mechanism for publication as a Proposed
       Standard.

     o Internet Calendaring and Scheduling Core Object Specification
       (iCalendar) for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o iCalendar Transport-Independent Interoperability Protocol
       (iTIP) Scheduling Events, BusyTime, To-dos and Journal Entries
       for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o iCalendar Message-based Interoperability Protocol (iMIP) for
       publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o BGP Route Flap Damping for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o Definitions of Managed Objects for Extended Border Node for
       publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o Definitions of Managed Objects for APPN TRAPS for publication
       as a Proposed Standard.

     o Definitions of Managed Objects for APPN for publication as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o OpenPGP Message Format for publication as a Proposed Standard.

     o The One-Time-Password SASL Mechanism for publication as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o RIP Version 2 Carrying Additional Information for publication
       as a Standard.

     o RFC1722: RIP Version 2 Protocol Applicabilty Statment for
       publication as a Standard.

Ramos                                                           [Page 4]

Internet Monthly Report                                     October 1998

     o RFC1049: Content-type header field for Internet messages be
       reclassified as an Historic document.

4. 12 Last Calls were issued by the IESG during the month of October,
   1998:

     o Procedure for Defining New DHCP Options
       <draft-ietf-dhc-new-options-04.txt> for consideration as a Best
       Current Practices RFC.

     o Enhancing TCP Over Satellite Channels using Standard Mechanisms
       <draft-ietf-tcpsat-stand-mech-06.txt> for consideration as a
       Best Current Practices RFC.

     o An Architecture for Differentiated Services
       <draft-ietf-diffserv-arch-02.txt> for consideration as an
       Informational RFC.

     o LDAP Schema Definitions for Intranet Mail Routing - The
       mailRecipient Object Class
       <draft-lachman-ldap-mail-routing-03.txt> for consideration as
       an Informational RFC.

     o Definition of the Differentiated Services Field (DS Field) in
       the IPv4 and IPv6 Headers <draft-ietf-diffserv-header-04.txt>
       for consideration as a Proposed Standard.

     o Router Renumbering for IPv6
       <draft-ietf-ipngwg-router-renum-05.txt> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o Addition of Kerberos Cipher Suites to Transport Layer Security
       (TLS) <draft-ietf-tls-kerb-cipher-suites-03.txt> for
       consideration as a Proposed Standard.

     o PPP LCP Internationalization Configuration Option
       <draft-ietf-pppext-lcp-charset-05.txt> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o DHCP Option for User Authentication Protocol
       <draft-ietf-dhc-options-uap-01.txt> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

     o Service Location Protocol, Version 2
       <draft-ietf-svrloc-protocol-v2-10.txt> for consideration as a
       Proposed Standard.

Ramos                                                           [Page 5]

Internet Monthly Report                                     October 1998

     o Service Templates and service: Schemes
       <draft-ietf-svrloc-service-scheme-12.txt> for consideration as
       a Proposed Standard.

     o Service Location Protocol Modifications for IPv6
       <draft-ietf-svrloc-ipv6-05.txt> for consideration as a Proposed
       Standard.

  5. One new working group was created

       Policy Framework (policy)

     o and 2 working groups were concluded:

       Integrated Directory Services (ids)
       Transaction Internet Protocol (tip)

  6. There were 150 Internet-Draft Actions during the month of
     October, 1998:

     (madman)   o Directory Server Monitoring MIB
                  <draft-ietf-madman-dsa-mib-1-08.txt>
     (dhc)      o Procedure for Defining New DHCP Options
                  <draft-ietf-dhc-new-options-04.txt>
     (dnssec)   o Detached Domain Name System (DNS) Information
                  <draft-ietf-dnssec-ddi-06.txt>
     (atommib)  o Managed Objects for Controlling the Collection and
                  Storage of Accounting Information for
                  Connection-Oriented Networks
                  <draft-ietf-atommib-acct-06.txt>
     (ion)      o IPv6 over Non-Broadcast Multiple Access (NBMA)
                  networks <draft-ietf-ion-ipv6-02.txt>
     (svrloc)   o Finding Stuff (How to discover services)
                  <draft-ietf-svrloc-discovery-10.txt>
     (pppext)   o Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol--PPTP
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-05.txt>
     (svrloc)   o Service Location Protocol Modifications for IPv6
                  <draft-ietf-svrloc-ipv6-05.txt>
     (atommib)  o Accounting Information for ATM Networks
                  <draft-ietf-atommib-atmacct-03.txt>
     (dhc)      o DHCP Options for Service Location Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-dhc-slp-04.txt>
     (ipngwg)   + Transmission of IPv6 over IPv4 Domains without
                  Explicit Tunnels <draft-ietf-ipngwg-6over4-00.txt>
     (radius)   o Implementation of L2TP Compulsory Tunneling via
                  RADIUS <draft-ietf-radius-tunnel-imp-04.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 6]

Internet Monthly Report                                     October 1998

     (ssh)      o Users' Security Handbook
                  <draft-ietf-ssh-users-09.txt>
     (svrloc)   o Service Templates and service: Schemes
                  <draft-ietf-svrloc-service-scheme-12.txt>
     (rtfm)     o RTFM Working Group - New Attributes for Traffic
                  Flow Measurement
                  <draft-ietf-rtfm-new-traffic-flow-06.txt>
     (applmib)  o Definitions of Managed Objects for WWW Services
                  <draft-ietf-applmib-wwwmib-10.txt>
     (none)     o A Simulation Model for IP Multicast with RSVP
                  <draft-pullen-ipv4-rsvp-04.txt,.ps>
     (ftpext)   o FTP Security Considerations
                  <draft-ietf-ftpext-sec-consider-02.txt>
     (radius)   o RADIUS Extensions <draft-ietf-radius-ext-02.txt>
     (spki)     o SPKI Requirements <draft-ietf-spki-cert-req-02.txt>
     (none)     o DIAMETER Base Protocol
                  <draft-calhoun-diameter-06.txt>
     (none)     o SMTP Service Extension for Secure SMTP over TLS
                  <draft-hoffman-smtp-ssl-09.txt>
     (mboned)   o Multicast Debugging Handbook
                  <draft-ietf-mboned-mdh-01.txt>
     (roamops)  o Proxy Chaining and Policy Implementation in Roaming
                  <draft-ietf-roamops-auth-08.txt>
     (urn)      o URN Namespace Definition Mechanisms
                  <draft-ietf-urn-nid-req-07.txt>
     (urn)      o URI Resolution Services Necessary for URN
                  Resolution
                  <draft-ietf-urn-resolution-services-07.txt>
     (disman)   o Event MIB <draft-ietf-disman-event-mib-05.txt>
     (disman)   o Expression MIB
                  <draft-ietf-disman-express-mib-06.txt>
     (disman)   o Notification Log MIB
                  <draft-ietf-disman-notif-log-mib-04.txt>
     (ipvbi)    + THE TRANSMISSION OF IP OVER THE VERTICAL BLANKING
                  INTERVAL OF A TELEVISION SIGNAL
                  <draft-ietf-ipvbi-nabts-00.txt>
     (urn)      o A URN Namespace for IETF Documents
                  <draft-ietf-urn-ietf-07.txt>
     (ipcdn)    o Cable Device Management Information Base for MCNS
                  compliant Cable Modems and Cable Modem Termination
                  Systems <draft-ietf-ipcdn-cable-device-mib-06.txt>
     (ipcdn)    o Radio Frequency (RF) Interface Management
                  Information Base for MCNS/DOCSIS compliant RF
                  interfaces
                  <draft-ietf-ipcdn-rf-interface-mib-06.txt>
     (webdav)   o HTTP Extensions for Distributed Authoring -- WEBDAV
                  <draft-ietf-webdav-protocol-09.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 7]

Internet Monthly Report                                     October 1998

     (ion)      o ILMI-Based Server Discovery for ATMARP
                  <draft-ietf-ion-discov-atmarp-02.txt>
     (ion)      o ILMI-Based Server Discovery for MARS
                  <draft-ietf-ion-discov-mars-02.txt>
     (none)     o Guidelines for Next Hop Client (NHC) Developers
                  <draft-carlson-nhrp-02.txt>
     (none)     o Performance Issues in VC-Merge Capable ATM LSRs
                  <draft-widjaja-mpls-vc-merge-01.txt>
     (ion)      o ILMI-Based Server Discovery for NHRP
                  <draft-ietf-ion-discov-nhrp-02.txt>
     (dnssec)   o DSA KEYs and SIGs in the Domain Name System (DNS)
                  <draft-ietf-dnssec-dss-03.txt>
     (manet)    o Mobile Ad hoc Networking (MANET): Routing Protocol
                  Performance Issues and Evaluation Considerations
                  <draft-ietf-manet-issues-02.txt>
     (ipsec)    o The ESP CBC-Mode Cipher Algorithms
                  <draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-cbc-04.txt>
     (ion)      o IPv6 over ATM Networks
                  <draft-ietf-ion-ipv6-atm-03.txt>
     (pppext)   o PPP EAP TLS Authentication Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-eaptls-04.txt>
     (pkix)     o X.509 Internet Public Key Infrastructure Online
                  Certificate Status Protocol - OCSP
                  <draft-ietf-pkix-ocsp-07.txt>
     (smime)    o Cryptographic Message Syntax
                  <draft-ietf-smime-cms-07.txt>
     (smime)    o Enhanced Security Services for S/MIME
                  <draft-ietf-smime-ess-09.txt>
     (svrloc)   o Service Location Protocol, Version 2
                  <draft-ietf-svrloc-protocol-v2-10.txt>
     (idr)      o BGP Route Flap Damping
                  <draft-ietf-idr-route-damp-04.txt,.ps>
     (openpgp)  o OpenPGP Message Format
                  <draft-ietf-openpgp-formats-08.txt>
     (none)     o A Proposal to add Explicit Congestion Notification
                  (ECN) to IP <draft-kksjf-ecn-03.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Basic Socket Interface Extensions for IPv6
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-bsd-api-new-03.txt>
     (none)     o LDAP Proxied Authentication Control
                  <draft-weltman-ldapv3-proxy-02.txt>
     (ippm)     o IPPM Metrics for Measuring Connectivity
                  <draft-ietf-ippm-connectivity-03.txt>
     (ion)      + Definitions of Managed Objects for Server Cache
                  Synchronization Protocol Using SMIv2
                  <draft-ietf-ion-scsp-mib-00.txt>
     (spki)     o SPKI Certificate Theory
                  <draft-ietf-spki-cert-theory-03.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 8]

Internet Monthly Report                                     October 1998

     (mboned)   o Multicast-Scope Zone Announcement Protocol (MZAP)
                  <draft-ietf-mboned-mzap-02.txt>
     (mpls)     o Use of Label Switching on Frame Relay Networks
                  Specification <draft-ietf-mpls-fr-02.txt>
     (none)     o LDAP Schema Definitions for Intranet Mail Routing -
                  The mailRecipient Object Class
                  <draft-lachman-ldap-mail-routing-03.txt>
     (dnssec)   o RSA/MD5 KEYs and SIGs in the Domain Name System
                  (DNS) <draft-ietf-dnssec-rsa-01.txt>
     (none)     o POP3 Extension Mechanism
                  <draft-gellens-pop3ext-09.txt>
     (printmib) o Printer Finishing MIB
                  <draft-ietf-printmib-finishing-05.txt>
     (policy)   + Schema for Differentiated Services and Integrated
                  Services in Networks
                  <draft-rajan-policy-qosschema-00.txt>
     (ipfc)     o IP and ARP over Fibre Channel
                  <draft-ietf-ipfc-fibre-channel-03.txt>
     (none)     o The Java SASL Application Program Interface
                  <draft-weltman-java-sasl-01.txt>
     (none)     o Host Resources MIB V2
                  <draft-krupczak-hostmibv2-01.txt>
     (fax)      o Extended Facsimile Using Internet Mail
                  <draft-ietf-fax-eifax-09.txt>
     (bridge)   o Definitions of Managed Objects for Bridges with
                  Traffic Classes, Multicast Filtering and Virtual
                  LAN Extensions <draft-ietf-bridge-bridgemib-02.txt>
     (ospf)     o OSPF Optimized Multipath (OSPF-OMP)
                  <draft-ietf-ospf-omp-01.txt,.ps>
     (pppext)   o PPP LCP Internationalization Configuration Option
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-lcp-charset-05.txt>
     (svrloc)   o Definition of afp: URLs for use with Service
                  Location <draft-ietf-svrloc-afp-service-01.txt>
     (none)     o NFS Version 2 and Version 3 Security Issues and the
                  NFS Protocol's Use of RPCSEC_GSS and Kerberos V5
                  <draft-eisler-nfssec-01.txt>
     (none)     o Distributed Network Address Translation
                  <draft-borella-aatn-dnat-01.txt>
     (ldapext)  o Signed Directory Operations Using S/MIME
                  <draft-ietf-ldapext-sigops-03.txt>
     (diffserv) o Definition of the Differentiated Services Field (DS
                  Field) in the IPv4 and IPv6 Headers
                  <draft-ietf-diffserv-header-04.txt>
     (none)     + Schema for Representing Java(tm) Objects in an LDAP
                  Directory <draft-ryan-java-schema-00.txt>
     (none)     o List-Id: A Structured Field and Namespace for the
                  Identification of Mailing Lists
                  <draft-chandhok-listid-02.txt>

Ramos                                                           [Page 9]

Internet Monthly Report                                     October 1998

     (diffserv) o An Architecture for Differentiated Services
                  <draft-ietf-diffserv-arch-02.txt>
     (smime)    o Certificate Distribution Specification
                  <draft-ietf-smime-certdist-02.txt>
     (smime)    o Diffie-Hellman Key Agreement Method
                  <draft-ietf-smime-x942-01.txt>
     (diffserv) o A Framework for Differentiated Services
                  <draft-ietf-diffserv-framework-01.txt>
     (nat)      o IP Network Address Translator (NAT) Terminology and
                  Considerations <draft-ietf-nat-terminology-01.txt>
     (iptel)    o A Framework for a Gateway Location Protocol
                  <draft-ietf-iptel-gwloc-framework-01.txt>
     (snmpv3)   o Introduction to Version 3 of the Internet-standard
                  Network Management Framework
                  <draft-ietf-snmpv3-intro-02.txt>
     (none)     o The vCard v3.0 XML DTD
                  <draft-dawson-vcard-xml-dtd-01.txt>
     (nat)      o DNS extensions to Network Address Translators
                  (DNS_ALG) <draft-ietf-nat-dns-alg-01.txt>
     (snanau)   o Definitions of Managed Objects for APPN/HPR in IP
                  Networks <draft-ietf-snanau-hpripmib-02.txt>
     (none)     o AT&T's Error Resilient Video Transmission Technique
                  <draft-civanlar-hplp-01.txt,.ps>
     (dhc)      o DHCP Option to Disable Stateless Auto-Configuration
                  in IPv4 Clients <draft-ietf-dhc-autoconfig-02.txt>
     (diffserv) o Assured Forwarding PHB Group
                  <draft-ietf-diffserv-af-02.txt>
     (fax)      o Indicating Supported Media Features Using
                  Extensions to DSN and MDN
                  <draft-ietf-fax-reporting-extensions-04.txt>
     (snmpv3)   o An Architecture for Describing SNMP Management
                  Frameworks <draft-ietf-snmpv3-arch-01.txt>
     (none)     o Internet Cache Protocol Extension
                  <draft-lovric-icp-ext-01.txt>
     (none)     o PKCS 1: RSA Cryptography Specifications Version 2.0
                  <draft-kaliski-pkcs-pkcs1v2-02.txt>
     (none)     o Deliver By SMTP Service Extension
                  <draft-newman-deliver-01.txt>
     (snmpv3)   o SNMPv3 Applications
                  <draft-ietf-snmpv3-appl-v2-01.txt>
     (webdav)   + Versioning Extensions to WebDAV
                  <draft-ietf-webdav-versioning-00.txt>
     (ipngwg)   o Reserved IPv6 Subnet Anycast Addresses
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-resv-anycast-01.txt>
     (snmpv3)   o Message Processing and Dispatching for the Simple
                  Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
                  <draft-ietf-snmpv3-mpc-01.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 10]

Internet Monthly Report                                     October 1998

     (cat)      o The Kerberos Version 5 GSSAPI Mechanism, Version 2
                  <draft-ietf-cat-krb5gss-mech2-01.txt>
     (none)     o ACK Spacing for High Delay-Bandwidth Paths with
                  Insufficient Buffering
                  <draft-rfced-info-partridge-01.txt>
     (none)     o Definitions of Managed Objects for Service Level
                  Agreements Performance Monitoring
                  <draft-white-slapm-mib-02.txt>
     (mhtml)    o The MIME Multipart/Related Content-type
                  <draft-ietf-mhtml-related-v2-01.txt>
     (none)     o MIME Types for Use with the ISO ILL Protocol
                  <draft-needleman-mime-ill-01.txt>
     (none)     o Multicast Manager (MCM): A Multipoint-to-Multipoint
                  Multicasting Protocol for ATM
                  <draft-seif-ion-mcm-01.txt>
     (nfsv4)    o NFS Version 4 Requirements
                  <draft-ietf-nfsv4-requirements-02.txt>
     (rtfm)     o RTFM: Applicability Statement
                  <draft-ietf-rtfm-applicability-statement-01.txt>
     (fax)      o MIME content-type for Internet Fax Full Mode
                  <draft-ietf-fax-mime-fullmode-01.txt>
     (trade)    o Internet Open Trading Protocol - IOTP Version 1.0
                  <draft-ietf-trade-iotp-v1.0-protocol-02.txt>
     (dhc)      o Automaticly Choosing an IP Address in an Ad-Hoc
                  IPv4 Network
                  <draft-ietf-dhc-ipv4-autoconfig-01.txt>
     (ipsec)    o IPSec Monitoring MIB <draft-ietf-ipsec-mib-01.txt>
     (iesg)     + Bylaws for a Protocol Support Organization
                  <draft-iesg-bradner-pso-bl-00.txt>
     (none)     + A Framework for IP Based Virtual Private Networks
                  <draft-gleeson-vpn-framework-00.txt>
     (avt)      + Issues and Options for RTP Multiplexing
                  <draft-ietf-avt-muxissues-00.txt>
     (none)     + Using Digest Authentication as a SASL Mechanism
                  <draft-leach-digest-sasl-00.txt>
     (tn3270e)  + Open Host Interface Objects for TN3270E
                  <draft-ietf-tn3270e-ohio-00.txt>
     (none)     + Requirements for Human Friendly Identifiers
                  <draft-mealling-human-friendly-identifier-req-00.txt>
     (none)     + CPE based VPNs using MPLS
                  <draft-li-mpls-vpn-00.txt>
     (none)     o Secret Handshakes: How to get RFCs published in the
                  IETF <draft-bradner-handshake-01.txt>
     (manet)    + Core Extraction Distributed Ad hoc Routing (CEDAR)
                  Specification <draft-ietf-manet-cedar-spec-00.txt>
     (none)     + Publicly Verifiable Random Selection
                  <draft-eastlake-selection-00.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 11]

Internet Monthly Report                                     October 1998

     (pppext)   o Microsoft PPP CHAP Extensions, Version 2
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-mschap-v2-01.txt>
     (pppext)   o Deriving MPPE Keys From MS-CHAP V2 Credentials
                  <draft-ietf-pppext-mschapv2-keys-01.txt>
     (none)     + Core IP VPN Architecture
                  <draft-muthukrishnan-corevpn-arch-00.txt>
     (none)     + Atomic Certificates
                  <draft-raghu-atomic-certificates-00.txt>
     (none)     + Light-weight Reliable Multicast Protocol
                  Specification <draft-liao-lrmp-00.txt>
     (none)     + H.323 Signaling and SS7 ISUP Gateway: Procedure
                  Interworking <draft-ma-h323-isup-gateway-00.txt>
     (none)     + Collaboration between ISOC/IETF and ITU-T
                  <draft-itu-isoc-00.txt>
     (ion)      + Definitions of Managed Objects for ATMARP dependent
                  Server Cache Synchronization Protocol Using SMIv2
                  <draft-ietf-ion-scsp-atmarp-mib-00.txt>
     (webdav)   + Use of Dublin Core Metadata in WebDAV
                  <draft-ietf-webdav-dublin-core-00.txt>
     (none)     + Disconnecting TCP connection toward IPv6 anycast
                  address <draft-itojun-ipv6-tcp-to-anycast-00.txt>
     (ipsec)    + An LDAP Schema for Configuration and Administration
                  of IPSec based Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)
                  <draft-ietf-ipsec-vpn-policy-schema-00.txt,.ps>
     (none)     + Applicability of GSMP as an IETF Protocol
                  <draft-doria-gsmp-applicability-00.txt>
     (ipsec)    + Secure Configuration of IPsec-Enabled Network
                  Devices <draft-ietf-ipsec-secconf-00.txt>
     (none)     + IS-IS Optimized Multipath (ISIS-OMP)
                  <draft-villamizar-isis-omp-00.txt>
     (dnssec)   + Domain Name System (DNS) Security Key Rollover
                  <draft-ietf-dnssec-rollover-00.txt>
     (radius)   o Microsoft Vendor-specific RADIUS Attributes
                  <draft-ietf-radius-ms-vsa-01.txt>
     (none)     + IVR control <draft-tsang-ivrcontrol-00.txt>
     (ipsec)    + Security Policy Specification Language
                  <draft-ietf-ipsec-spsl-00.txt>
     (rap)      + COPS usage for RSVP
                  <draft-ietf-rap-cops-rsvp-00.txt>
     (none)     + PAX PDL - a non-procedural packet description
                  language <draft-nossik-pax-pdl-00.txt>
     (none)     + Generic Architecture for Information Availability
                  <draft-rfced-info-blinov-00.txt>
     (none)     + HTML REFRESH LANGUAGE (HTMLR/1.0)
                  <draft-rfced-exp-nelson-00.txt>
     (conneg)   + W3C Composite Capability/Preference Profiles
                  <draft-ietf-conneg-W3C-ccpp-00.txt>

Ramos                                                          [Page 12]

Internet Monthly Report                                     October 1998

     (ipngwg)   + A method for flexible IPv6 address assignments
                  <draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipaddressassign-00.txt>
     (none)     + The Use of the Internet Print Protocol [IPP] as a
                  Facsimile Service <draft-shockey-ipp2ifax-00.txt>
     (uswg)     + FYI on Questions and Answers Answers to Commonly
                  asked New Internet User Questions
                  <draft-ietf-uswg-FYI4-00.txt>
     (none)     + Media Gateway Control Protocol (MGCP)
                  <draft-huitema-MGCP-v0r1-00.txt>
     (ion)      + Multiprotocol Encapsulation over ATM Adaptation
                  Layer 5 <draft-ietf-ion-multiprotocol-atm-00.txt>
     (none)     + Management Information Base for IS-IS
                  <draft-parker-isis-wg-mib-00.txt>

  7. 12 RFCs were published during this period:

     RFC2429 PS (avt)     RTP Payload Format for the 1998 Version of
                          ITU-T Rec. H.263 Video (H.263+)
     RFC2430 I  (none)    A Provider Architecture for Differentiated
                          Services and Traffic Engineering (PASTE)
     RFC2431 PS (avt)     RTP Payload Format for BT.656 Video
                          Encoding
     RFC2432 I  (bmwg)    Terminology for IP Multicast Benchmarking
     RFC2433 I  (pppext)  Microsoft PPP CHAP Extensions
     RFC2434 B  (iesg)    Guidelines for Writing an IANA
                          Considerations Section in RFCs
     RFC2435 PS (avt)     RTP Payload Format for JPEG-compressed
                          Video
     RFC2436 I  (none)    Collaboration between ISOC/IETF and ITU-T
     RFC2437 I  (none)    PKCS 1: RSA Cryptography Specifications
                          Version 2.0
     RFC2438 B  (iesg)    Advancement of MIB specifications on the
                          IETF Standards Track
     RFC2444 PS (otp)     The One-Time-Password SASL Mechanism
     RFC2468 I  (none)    I REMEMBER IANA

Ramos                                                          [Page 13]

Internet Monthly Report                                     October 1998

INTERNET PROJECTS
-----------------

INTERNIC
--------

     NETWORK SOLUTIONS REPORT

     ******************************************************
     *       gopher sessions                              *
     ******************************************************
     Connections: cat: gopher-server*: No such file or directory
            0
     Retrievals: cat: gopher-server*: No such file or directory
            0
     ******************************************************
     *        wais sessions                               *
     ******************************************************
     Connections: wais-server*.gz: No such file or directory
            0
     Retrievals: wais-server*.gz: No such file or directory
            0
     ******************************************************
     *        whois sessions                              *
     ******************************************************
     Client Queries:  28241904
     Server Queries:  38114937
     ******************************************************
     *         ftp sessions                               *
     ******************************************************
     Connections:   112579
     Retrievals:   168348
     ******************************************************
     *      telnet sessions                               *
     ******************************************************
     Connections:   152604
     ******************************************************
     *       mailserver sessions                          *
     ******************************************************
     Connections:        0
     ******************************************************
     *       http sessions                                *
     ******************************************************

Ramos                                                          [Page 14]

Internet Monthly Report                                     October 1998

     Retrievals:  32621534
     Phones: 71,611
     Emails : 876,693
     Updates: 309,224

     by Ricardo A. Gonzalez <[email-masked]>

     THE US DOMAIN REGISTRY

     THE US DOMAIN
     =============

     The US Domain registration information is available online at
     http://www.isi.edu/us-domain.

     Much of the processing of the requests to the third level domain
     name is now automated. In particular, most requests to register
     names in localities already delegated are automatically forwarded
     to the administrator of that locality.

     US DOMAIN ADMINISTRATIVE INFORMATION
     ====================================

             EMAIL/FAX            2450
             PHONE                  90
             ----------------------------
             Total Contacts       2540

             DELEGATIONS:           79
             FORWARDED REQUESTS:  1025
             OTHER US DOMAIN MSGS:1436
             ---------------------------
             Total                2540

     OTHER US DOMAIN MESSAGES include referrals to other subdomains or
     to/from the InterNic, phone calls, modifications, application
     requests, discussion and clarification of the requests, questions
     about names, resolving technical problems with zone files and name
     servers, and whois listings.

Ramos                                                          [Page 15]

Internet Monthly Report                                     October 1998

     MAJOR SUBDOMAINS DELEGATED
     ==========================

     K12     CC      TEC     STATE   LIB     MUS     GEN     DST     COG
     ===================================================================
     51      40      36      48      43      25      29      10      6
     ===================================================================

     THIRD LEVEL DELEGATIONS
     ========================

     LOCALITIES
     ==========
     NEWBURY.VT.US.                  AURORA.IN.US.
     WELLS-RIVER.VT.US.              DOTHAN.AL.US.
     ADELANTO.CA.US.                 PEPPERELL.MA.US.
     CARROLLTOWN.PA.US.              AROOSTOOK.ME.US.
     ASHEVILLE.NC.US.                ANACONDA.MT.US.
     CHARMECK.NC.US.                 EDELSTEIN.IL.US.
     GAINESVILLE.TX.US.              OCEAN-ISLE-BEACH.NC.US.
     CARLETON.MI.US.                 CASCADE-LOCKS.OR.US.
     DELANO.MN.US.                   LOS-CERRILLOS.NM.US.

     OTHERS
     ======
     WRPAIUTE.NSN.US.                TULALIP.NSN.US.
     CATAWBA-NATION.NSN.US.          YUROKTRIBE.NSN.US.
     LPT.NSN.US.                     YAVAPAI-APACHE-NATION.NSN.US.

     OTHER US DOMAIN DELEGATIONS THIS MONTH
     ======================================
     CI.SOUTH-HAVEN.MI.US.           WWW.VILLAGE.COTTAGE-GROVE.WI.US.
     CO.DAVIE.NC.US.                 TOWN.REHOBOTH.MA.US.
     CI.YORBA-LINDA.CA.US.           CRENSHAW.WAKE-FOREST.NC.US.
     CI.NORWALK.CA.US.               CAMPBELL.K12.VA.US.
     BIGRED.BELLTOWN.CA.US.          TOWNSHIP.NORTH-HUNTINGDON.PA.US.
     WVSD.DST.CA.US.                 CLACKAMAS.LIB.OR.US.
     ESTACADA.LIB.OR.US.             GLADSTONE.LIB.OR.US.
     MILWAUKIE.LIB.OR.US.            MOLALLA.LIB.OR.US.
     OREGONCITY.LIB.OR.US.           SANDY.LIB.OR.US.
     MYSTERY.VAN-NUYS.CA.US.         HESSELRODE.AGOURA.CA.US.
     CO.CARBON.UT.US.                TOWN.BETHEL.NY.US.
     GAVERS.MARTINEZ.CA.US.          HOTDOG.MIAMI.FL.US.
     BEHEL.LONGWOOD.FL.US.           THP.JOHNSONVILLE.NY.US.
     CI.SAN-BRUNO.CA.US.             REALESTATE.MOBILE.AL.US.

Ramos                                                          [Page 16]

Internet Monthly Report                                     October 1998

     TWP.UPPER-FREDERICK.PA.US.      CO.IMPERIAL.CA.US.
     PWAC.LANTANA.FL.US.             TOOLBOX.SAN-MARCOS.CA.US.
     BOILERMAKER.LAMAR.SC.US.        CI.OLMOS-PARK.TX.US.
     SVLS.LIB.CA.US.                 LCPS.K12.VA.US.
     HIGHWAY38.DEER-RIVER.MN.US.     DESIGNETT.DEER-RIVER.MN.US.
     KLASEN.WASHINGTON.DC.US.        PWAC.LAKE-WORTH.FL.US.
     HGS.K12.VA.US.                  MINI-ISP.ELLICOTT-CITY.MD.US.
     CI.VERONA.WI.US.                VWENTHUSIAST.JOHNSON.VT.US.
     CI.SEMINOLE.FL.US.              CI.CARRBORO.NC.US.
     FIRE.KEY-BISCAYNE.FL.US.        OTN.CAMARILLO.CA.US.
     OVERTHENET.CAMARILLO.CA.US.     CI.PACIFIC-GROVE.CA.US.
     TOWN.BROOKLINE.MA.US.           HEALTH.EL-PASO.TX.US.
     WILSONVILLE.LIB.OR.US.          GEORGESHALL.WASHINGTON.DC.US.
     CAMP.SCOTTSVILLE.TX.US.

     URL: http://www.isi.edu/us-domain/

     by Brenna Guthrie <[email-masked]>

MERIT INTERNET ENGINEERING
--------------------------

     This report summarizes October 1998 Internet engineering activities
     at Merit Network, Inc. (www.merit.edu).

     Merit is pleased to announce a limited beta release of IRRd Version
     1.1. The new release offers full e-mail/PGP support for database
     submissions. If you would like to participate in the beta trials,
     contact us by sending e-mail to [email-masked].

     IRRd is a freely available, stand-alone Internet Routing Registry
     database server that supports both RIPE-181 and RPSL routing
     registry syntaxes.  The code and documentation are available on the
     Merit Web pages:

             http://www.merit.edu/radb/irrd/

     The Route Server Next Generation (RSng) team installed Route
     Servers at the Automotive Network eXchange (ANX) in Southfield,
     Michigan.  The ANX, which is operated by the Automotive Industry
     Action Group, provides a secure IP network for trading partners
     throughout the automotive supply chain.  RSng oversees all RS
     operations at ANX, including configuration generation for the ANX
     routers, 7/24 system monitoring, and monitoring of peering

Ramos                                                          [Page 17]

Internet Monthly Report                                     October 1998

     sessions.  Other exchange points taking advantage of RSng services
     include AADS, the Digital Internet Exchange, the PacBell NAP, MAE-
     East, and MAE-West.

     by Susan R. Harris <[email-masked]>

UCL
----

     UCL Is putting togerther the program for IEEE/IFIP sponsored
     International Workshop on Quality of Service, to be held in London
     in Jun 1-4 1999. See http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/research/iwqos99/ for
     details, but there will be a 1 day workshop on Internet Pricing at
     the end of the 3 day paper sessions, which neatly dovetails with
     the ITC in Scotland the next week.

     by John Crowcroft <[email-masked]>

IANA REPORT
-----------

     Address Resolution Protocol Parameters:         1
     MIME Media Types                                2
     Multicast Addresses: Individual Assignments     11
     Multicast Addresses: Blocks                     2
     Private Enterprise Numbers                      91
     Port Assignments                                39
     Protocol Numbers Assignments                    1
     Radius Types                                    1
     SMI Numbers                                     1
     Telnet Options                                  1

     by Josh Elliott <[email-masked]>

Ramos                                                          [Page 18]

Internet Monthly Report                                     October 1998

RFC EDITOR REPORT
-----------------

     This is a summary of Request for Comments Editor activity for the
     month of October, 1998:

                                  TIME IN QUEUE
     DOCUMENTS        New*   30 days     60 days      90 days      TOTAL
     ------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                  |
     Beginning of       0       16         25           10        | 51
     month                                                        |
                                                                  |
     New               19        0          0            0        | 19
                                                                  |
                                                                  |
     Processed          9        9          0            0        | 18
     ------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                  |
     End of month      10        7          25          10        | 52

     * New RFCs added to queue throughout the month

     The Requests for Comments (RFCs) are a series of notes, started in
     1969, about the Internet (originally the ARPANET). The notes
     discuss many aspects of computing and computer communication
     focusing in networking protocols, procedures, programs, and
     concepts, but also including meeting notes, opinion, and sometimes
     humor. The specification documents of the Internet protocol suite,
     as defined by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and its
     steering group (the IESG), are published as RFCs.

     RFCs-to-be are edited by the RFC Editor.  RFCs enter the RFC
     Editor's work queue either by an action of the IESG or by
     independent submission.  Most independent submissions are referred
     to the IESG to check for overlap with IETF work.  The IESG might
     put a hold on a document to gather more input from its members.
     The wait for an RFC to be published varies as there can be
     unforeseen complications (typically editorial matters that need
     clarification from the author).  Documents can be removed from the
     publication queue if they are found to be insufficient or incorrect
     or if the IESG asks the author to join work already in progress in
     the IETF.

     by Alegre Ramos <[email-masked]>

Ramos                                                          [Page 19]

Internet Monthly Report                                     October 1998

CALENDAR
--------

Last update 11/30/98

The information below has been submitted to the IETF Secretariat as a
means of notifying readers of future events. Readers are requested to
send in dates of events that are appropriate for this calendar section.
Please send submissions, corrections, etc., to:

               <[email-masked]>

Please note: The Secretariat does not maintain on-line information for
the events listed below.

A copy of this calendar is available as follows:

VIA FTP
-------
IETF Information is available by anonymous FTP from several sites.

        Northern Europe Address:   ftp.nordu.net (192.36.148.198)
        Southern Europe Address:   ftp.nis.garr.it (193.205.245.10)
        Pacific Rim Address:  munnari.oz.au (128.250.1.21)
        Africa Address:       ftp.is.co.za (196.4.160.12)
        West Coast Address:  ftp.isi.edu (128.9.0.32)
        US East Coast Address:  ftp.ietf.org

cd ietf
ls *0mtg*

WWW
-------
<http://www.ietf.org/home.html> Click on the link for "meetings" and
you should find an entry "listing of other Internet related events".

************************************************************************

1998
-----------

Dec. 6-11         12th Systems Administration Conf.
                    (LISA '98)                    Boston, MA
Dec. 7-11         43rd IETF                       Orlando, FL

Ramos                                                          [Page 20]

Internet Monthly Report                                     October 1998

1999
-----
Jan 31-Feb 2      NANOG 15                        Denver, CO
Feb. 3-5          1999 Network and Distributed System
                   Security (NDSS) Symposium
                   Catamaran Resort Hotel         San Diego, CA
Feb. 7-13         ATM Forum                       Atlanta, GA
Feb. 22-25        USENIX - 3rd Sym. on
                   Oper. Sys Design and
                   Implementation (OSDI '99)      New Orleans, LA
Feb 23-25         W3C Interest Group Mtg          TBA
Mar. 8-9          Electronic Payments Forum       San Francisco, CA
Mar. 8-12         IEEE 802                        Austin
Mar. 15-19        44th IETF                       TBA
Mar. 22-25        14th Int'l Unicode Conference   Boston, MA
Mar. 24-Apr 1     ITU Fax Standards Meeting       Geneva, Switzerland
Mar. 24-29        Electronic Messaging Assoc.
                  EMA '99                         Geneva, Switzerland
Apr. 5-9          Networld+Interop 99             Singapore
Apr. 18-24        ATM Forum                       Rome, Italy
Apr. 26-27        Ninth Int'l Packet Video Wrkshp New York, NY
May 10-14         IFIP/IEEE Int'l Symposium on
                   Integrated Network Mgmt        Boston, MA
May 11-14         Networld+Interop '99            Las Vegas, NV
May 11-May 14     8th International World Wide Web
                     Conference                   Toronto, Canada
May 31-Jun 4      Networld+Interop 99             Tokyo, Japan
Jun 4-6           W3C Interest Group Mtg          TBA
Jun 7-10          TERENA-NORDUnet Networking 1999 Lund, Sweden
Jun 25-29         INET'99                         San Jose, CA
Jul 5-9           IEEE 802                        Montreal, Canada
Jul 12-16         45th IETF                       Oslo, Norway
Jul. 18-24        ATM Forum                       New Orleans, LA
Aug. 30-Sep 3     SIGCOMM '99 (West Coast US)     Cambridge, MA
Sep. 21-23         W3C Interest Group Mtg         TBA
Sep. 26-Oct 2     ATM Forum                       Bangkok, Thailand
Oct. 8-14         TELECOM '99                     Geneva, Switzerland
Oct. 13-17        Networld+Interop '99            Atlanta, GA
Nov. 3-4          Cross-Industry Working Team (XIWT) Crystal City, VA
Nov. 8-12         46th IETF                       Wash DC
Nov. 8-12         IEEE 802                        Kaui
Nov. 28-Dec 4     ATM Forum                       Beverly Hills, CA

2000
----
Mar. 6-10       IEEE 802                          Albuquerque
Mar. 10-14      IEEE 802                          San Diego, CA

Ramos                                                          [Page 21]

Internet Monthly Report                                     October 1998

MAR 27-31       47th IETF                         Adelaide, Australia
May 9-11        Networld+Interop '00              Las Vegas, NV
late Aug        SIGCOMM 2000                      Europe (tentative)
Sep 25-29       Networld+Interop '00              Atlanta, GA
Nov. 6-10       IEEE 802                          Tampa, FL

     The TERENA Calendar for December 1998 may be found on URL:

     http://www.terena.nl/news/calendar.html

     +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

            TERENA Secretariat

            Singel 466-468
            1017 AW Amsterdam
            the Netherlands

            email <[email-masked]>

            tel: +31 20 530 4488
            fax: +31 20 530 4499

     +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ramos                                                          [Page 22]