Subject: Re: should we ressurect design teams? (was: this is insane.)

From: Johnny Eriksson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 0:23:14 MET

> An obvious solution is to make IETF participation purely
> voluntary with no corporate funding not even for travel
> expense to IETF meetings.

Would that make you stop going?

> 						Masataka Ohta

--Johnny

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 98 12:07:12 JST

Johnny;

> Would that make you stop going?

It didn't, but, now, not doing so may. ;-)

						Masataka Ohta

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 98 12:07:12 JST

Johnny;

						Masataka Ohta

---

From: "Michael H. Warfield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 23:11:33 -0500 (EST)

Sorry if I'm joining this party late...

> It didn't, but, now, not doing so may. ;-)

	Would that / should that include being paid by said corporation
while in attendance?  Or should that "time off" be charged against vacation.
IETF 43 was my first meeting.  Out of all of the time slots, I think there
was only one (Thursday morning) which did not have a WG that I was interested
in.  I found it to be a lot of work and I would, and will, do it again.
Would I do it even if I didn't get re-embursed for my expenses?  Maybe...
Probably...  I have participated in professional organizations, sometimes
at my own expense, for years.  This particular one is a hell of a lot more
work and a lot less "play" and a lot more satisfying.

	Should participation in the IETF be only available to those with
the personal were-with-all to pay their own way?  I don't think so...  That's
a good way to waste and offend a lot of good talent.  Just at a time when
we probably need it the most, due in large part to the success of the
Internet.

	BTW...  My company pays my expenses but they don't own me or dictate
what I say and do.  Another engineer that I work with and I were even in
disagreement at one of the working group meetings.  We are each professionals
representing our profession and providing our technical skills more so than
we are representatives of our corporations.

> 						Masataka Ohta

	Mike
-- 
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [email-masked]
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
  NIC whois:  MHW9      |  An optimist believes we live in the best of all
 PGP Key: 0xDF1DD471    |  possible worlds.  A pessimist is sure of it!

---

From: "Michael H. Warfield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 23:11:33 -0500 (EST)

Mike