Subject: Instant Messaging Standard

From: "David Waite" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 22:59:00 -0500

I was wondering if there are any current groups working on an open standard
for Instant/Online Messaging (like the AOL Instant Messanger, ICQ, etc).

If not, I am interested in working on such a standard, and I am wondering if
anyone could offer me advice on what the best course of action would be, or
would be willing to help for that matter?

-David Waite

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 06:35:53 +0100

> for Instant/Online Messaging (like the AOL Instant Messanger, ICQ, etc).

There is a group in the IETF which is trying to form a working group 
as we speak. It exists under the acronym IMPP (Instant Messaging and 
Presence Protocol) and has been meeting at 3 successive IETF 
meetings. You can see more information about this group at 
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/98dec/impp-agenda-98dec.txt

   Patrik Fältström
------------------------------------------------------------------
Area Director, Applications Area               Email: [email-masked]
IETF                                             URL: http://paf.se
                                          PGP Key ID: 0xBD236602

   In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,
   but in practice, there is.

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 06:35:53 +0100

Patrik Fältström