Subject: 1999 Internet Society Board of Trustees: Call for Nominations

From: George Sadowsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 16:33:11 -0500

This message is being sent on behalf of Kees Neggers, who is Chair of the
Nominating Committee for ISOC [and who does not have access to the Internet
at the present time].  Steve Coya is here with us, and is aware that this
message is being sent to the list.

Kees would like to remind you that his committee is soliciting suggestions
for the Internet Society Board of Trustees.  The details follow below:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1999 Internet Society Board of Trustees Elections

Call for Nominations

On 26 February 1999, ballots will be posted for the election of new Internet
Society Trustees. Election Day is scheduled for 3 May 1999, when received
ballots will be opened and tallied. Internet Society members will be asked
to elect FIVE Trustees who will serve  three year terms. The role of a
Trustee is detailed in the Internet Society By-Laws (not included in this
notice but available on the Internet Society web server):

        http://www.isoc.org/trustees/

This notice is a call from the ISOC Nominations Committee for nominations
of candidates for election.

Nominations are to be forwarded to this committee via:

 -  electronic mail to: [email-masked]
 or
 -  fax to  +1 703 648 9887
 or
 -  postal mail to:

Internet Society
12020 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 210
Reston, VA 20191-3429
U.S.A.

Attention: 1999 Nominations Committee

Nominations are to reach the committee no later than 17 December 1998 in
order to ensure due consideration of the nomination by the committee.
Nominations (in the form of agreed nominations, suggestions or volunteers)
are to include the name of the nominated individual, contact details and a
brief explanation of the basis of the nomination.

The  committee will confirm with the candidates their willingness to stand
for election as a nominated candidate if so selected. Nominees will also be
requested to provide the committee with further personal details (in the
format of a curriculum vita) as they relate to the selection guidelines
that are to be applied by the committee, and provide to the committee a
statement indicating their willingness and ability to devote an appropriate
level of time to activities associated with the position of Trustee of the
Internet Society.

It is intended that the committee's selection process will result in 10
candidates for election as nominated candidates.  This list will  be passed
to the Elections Committee on 19 December 1998, as well as informing voting
members of the Society of the selected nominees.

Additional candidates for election to the Board of Trustees may be
nominated by membership petition, filed with the Chair of the Nominating
Committee no later than 22 January 1999.  A petition for the 1999 election
will require the signatures of sixty-five voting ISOC members (1% of the
total
voting members). Specific details of the petition process will be included in
the announcement of nominated candidates on 19 December 1998.

Following the closure of the petition period, the list of the nominated and
petitioned candidates will be announced 29 January 1999.

The Election Committee will mail the ballots out to ISOC voting members on
26 February 1999 and the election date is set to be 3 May 1999.

Sincerely,

Kees Neggers
Chair, ISOC Nominations Committee
[email-masked]
tel: +31 302 305 305
fax:  +31 302 305 329
------------------------------------------------------------------------

A. The 1999 ISOC Nominations Committee membership

1. Kees Neggers, Netherlands<[email-masked]>
2. John Gilmore, US<[email-masked]>
3. Jun Murai, Japan<[email-masked]>
4. Leni Mayo, Australia<[email-masked]>
5. Steve Wolff, US<[email-masked]>
6. Kim Claffy, US<[email-masked]>
7. Jill Foster, UK<[email-masked]>

Committee Email address:     [email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------------------

B. Nominations Committee Selection Guidelines

Candidates for ISOC Trustee should have a demonstrable involvement in the
Internet. Such involvement may range from  participation as a technology
developer, researcher, user, network operator, policy maker (e.g. in
government), sponsor of research and development. ISOC is interested in
broadly-based representation on the Board of Trustees and seeks to identify
candidates from industry, education and non-profit sectors and from
government. The selection criteria will be directed to selecting a broad
range of interests, and will include criteria of regional location, current
activities, relevant experience and professional background.

Ten candidates will be selected by this committee, using the criteria as
outlined above.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

C. A Profile of the current Board of Trustees

"#" marks board positions that are expiring.
"&" marks board members who have indicated that they will not or cannot be
candidates for re-election.

The current membership (as of 1 November, 1998) of the Board of Trustees is
as follows:

#&Scott Bradner         1993-1999   USA      <[email-masked]>
Vint Cerf            1992-2001   USA      <[email-masked]>
#&Susan Estrada         1993-1999   USA      <[email-masked]>
#&David Farber          1993-1999   USA      <[email-masked]>
John Gilmore          1997-2000   USA      <[email-masked]>
Christian Huitema    1995-2001  France   <[email-masked]>
Geoff Huston    1992-1995, 1998-2001 Australia <[email-masked]>
Christine Maxwell     1997-2000   France   <[email-masked]>
Jun Murai             1997-2000   Japan    <[email-masked]>
Kees Neggers    1992-1996, 1998-2001 <[email-masked]>
Tim O'Reilly         1995-2001   USA      <[email-masked]>
Jose Luis Pardos      1997-2000   Spain    <[email-masked]>
#George Sadowsky       1996-1999   USA      <[email-masked]>
Ben Segal             1997-2000   Suisse   <[email-masked]>
#Vacancy
Donald Heath          Ex-officio  USA      <[email-masked]>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

D. Procedures for Nomination and Election of Trustees

1. Trustee Positions to be Filled

The Board of Trustees will advise the Nominating Committee of the number of
Trustee positions to be filled by vote of the individual members at each
annual election.  The Board may also advise the Nominating Committee of its
desires with respect to the backgrounds of individuals to be nominated in
order to achieve the balance of experience and qualifications required by
the provisions of By-Law Article III, Section 2, which provides that "the
Board shall seek to have among the Trustees representative individuals from
industry, from educational and nonprofit organizations and from government."

1.1  Date of Election

The Board of Trustees will annually adopt a timetable for Trustee
elections.  The election date shall be not less than 40 days prior to the
next Annual Meeting of the Society.

1.2  Use of Electronic Mail

All communications concerning the nomination and election of Trustees shall
be in the form of electronic mail except the ballot, which shall be in the
form of first class postal mail
or FAX.  Members of the Society who are not reachable by electronic  mail
may participate in the nomination process by postal mail or  FAX.

2.  Nominating Committee

The Board of Trustees will annually appoint a Trustee Nominating Committee.
The Nominating Committee will consist of  7 individual members of the
Society, 5 of whom shall constitute a valid quorum.  The Chair of the
Nominating Committee shall be a  member of the Board of Trustees.  At least
2 members of the  Nominating Committee shall be individual members of the
Society  not currently serving in any elected or appointed capacity in the
Society.

2.1  Nominations by Committee

The Nominating Committee will notify the members of the Society of the
procedures for nominating individuals for election to the Board of
Trustees, and will provide a minimum period for receiving nominations of 30
days.  The number of individuals nominated shall exceed the number of
Trustees to be elected.

2.2  Nominations by Petition

The Nominating Committee will notify the voting members of the Society of
the names of individuals nominated by the committee for election to the
Board of Trustees not less than 105 days prior to the date established for
Trustee elections.  Additional nominations for election to the Board of
Trustees may be made by petition filed with the Chair of the Nominating
Committee not less than 75 days prior to the election.  Petitions may be
filed electronically.  The Nominating Committee shall specify the number of
signatures of voting members required for petitions, which shall be at
least fifty voting members of the Society, or 1% of the total number of
voting members of the Society, whichever is greater.

2.3  Candidates for Election

The Nominating Committee will provide the names of a completed slate of
candidates for election to the Elections Committee not less than 74 days
prior to the election date.

3.  Elections Committee

The Board of Trustees will annually appoint an Elections Committee composed
of three voting members of the Society which will be responsible for
establishing and supervising elections. The Chair of the committee shall be
a Trustee whose term of office does not expire during the year of the
election.

3.1  Eligibility to Vote

All individual members of the Society in good standing are eligible to
vote.  An individual member is in good standing if his or her annual dues
are not more than 60 days past due on the date of mailing of the ballot.

3.2  Ballot

The Trustee election shall be conducted by written ballot of the individual
members, which shall be mailed to each member of the Society in good
standing not less than 60 days prior to the date of the election.

3.3  Voting

Each voting member will be entitled to as many votes as there are Trustee
positions to be filled by vote of the members.  Votes may be cumulated on
behalf of one or more candidates for election.  A member may use fewer than
the total number of votes available if he or she so chooses.

3.4  Receipt of Ballots

All ballots for Trustee elections shall be received by the Chair of the
Elections Committee by 5 PM local time on the day prior to the date of the
election, at the place established by the Elections Committee for delivery
of the ballots.

3.5  Counting of Ballots

The counting of ballots will take place on the election date, at a time and
place established by the Elections Committee.  At least two members of the
Elections Committee shall be present at the counting of the ballots.  The
committee will establish procedures to ensure the privacy, validity and
accuracy of all ballots.

3.6  Certification of Vote

The Elections Committee shall certify the results of the annual Trustee
election to the Board of Trustees within 10 days following the election,
forwarding a list of the candidates and the number of votes each candidate
has received.

3.7  Challenges

No challenge to any Trustee nomination or election procedure or result may
be brought except by an individual member in good standing.  Any challenge
must be addressed to the President of the Society with a recital of the
reasons for the challenge, and must be received within 20 days of the
election date.  The President, after consultation with the Chairs of the
Nominating and Elections Committees and the members of the Board of
Trustees, shall advise the author of the challenge of the Board's decision,
which shall be final, within 40 days of the election date.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

1999 ISOC Nomination and Trustee Election Committee Timetable

    November 17, 1998  . Nominations Period Opens
    December 17, 1998  . Nominations Period Closes
    December 19, 1999  . Nominations Committee Announcement
    January 22, 1999 . . Petition Period Closes
    January 29, 1999 . . Candidate Announcement
    February 26, 1999  . Ballots Posted
    March 1, 1999  . . . Election Period Opens
    May 3, 1999  . . . . Election Date
    May 3, 1999  . . . . Challenge Period Opens
    May 13, 1999 . . . . Elections Committee Certifies Result
    May 23, 1999 . . . . Challenge Period Closes
    June 12, 1999 . . . . ISOC Response to Challenge Period Closes
    June 21, 1999  . . . ISOC Board of Trustees Annual General Meeting

------------------------------------------------------------------------

F. Assumption of Office of Elected Trustees

The term of office of elected Trustees shall commence at the adjournment of
the next Board meeting following the completion of the election process.
The term of office for departing Trustees shall end at the adjournment of
the next Board meeting following the completion of the election process.
The Board meeting is defined as having one agenda, which may extend over
several days. The new Board may convene an organizational meeting after the
completion of the meeting of the outgoing Board.