Subject: IETF+Censored announcement

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 15:04:50 +0100

I've had proposed to me by several people that it would be a Good Thing
to notify people about the existence of the ietf+censored list in a more
or less automatic way.

The simplest (for me) would be a monthly posting like the one below.
Comments welcome on:

1) Whether a monthly automated announce is acceptable/reasonable
2) Whether the text says the Right Thing.
3) Whether ietf+censored should remove the announcement :-)

               Harald
---------------------------------------------------------
The following is suggested text for the monthly posting
---------------------------------------------------------
At times, the IETF list is subject to debates that have little
to do with the purposes for which the IETF list was created.
Some people would appreciate a "quieter" forum for the relevant
debates that take place, but the IETF's policy of openness has
so far prevented the IETF from imposing any censorship policy
on the [email-masked] list.

To give people an alternative, there is a list called
"[email-masked]".

This list is a sublist (that is, it gets the same messages as)
the open IETF discussion list.
However, this list will not forward all messages; in particular,
the filters have been set so that persons and discussions that are,
in the view of Harald Alvestrand, irrelevant to the IETF list are
not forwarded.

Because this filter is automated, the criteria include:
- Well known troublemakers
- Well known crosspostings
- Some ways to say "unsubscribe"

To join the list, send the word "subscribe" in the BODY of a
message to [email-masked]

For fun, there is a special list for the rejected messages:
[email-masked] - subscribe in the same fashion,
by mail to [email-masked]

Enjoy!

                    Harald Tveit Alvestrand