Subject: RE: Mailing lists (was Re: IETF, ITU-T membership)

From: "Maddux, Michel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 12:05:59 -0500

on 15-June-2000, Valdis writes:

On a related note, I noticed that IETF draft announcements do *NOT* list
a vector pointing to where discussion of the draft should be directed.
Although the author's address is available down in the draft, should there
be a 'Discussion regarding this draft should go to mailto:list@wherever'
field?

[mam] This is a very good suggestion; some list servers add a mailto
automatically.  What's the chance up updated the I-D distribution to include
this type of response capability? thanks. /m.

---

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 03:25:30 +1000

Date:        Thu, 15 Jun 2000 12:05:59 -0500
    From:        "Maddux, Michel" <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | [mam] This is a very good suggestion; some list servers add a mailto
  | automatically.  What's the chance up updated the I-D distribution to include
  | this type of response capability? thanks. /m.

For WG drafts, the WG is already cc'd on the announcement - if you reply
to all the reply will go to the IETF announce group address (which your
mailer can't send to, and should just drop) and the WG mailing list.
It all just works.

For non WG drafts the secretariat would have to somehow figure out
the address to be inserted - the extra overhead of doing that just
isn't worth the bother - in many cases there's only the author anyway.
Anyone who has read the draft to have comments to send shouldn't find
it hard to extract the address from there and send the comments.

kre