Subject: RE: Bluetooth

From: "Taylor, Johnny" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:26:15 -0400

Give me some back ground information and how they fit in the communication
world! Then we can open the discussions! 

-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson, Jonathan [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2000 10:17 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Bluetooth

Hi folks 
	Anyone care to start a discussion about Bluetooth and how it
may/will impact the future of communications ? And the new generation of
Virus's that could come along with this technology.

Thanks
Jon

> Jonathan Parkinson
> EMEA Operations Management Center.
> Remote Server and Network Management Group.
> Unix Support .
> Compaq Computer Limited 
> 
> Tel: DTN 7830 1118
> Tel: External +44 (0)118 201118
> Fax: +44 (0)118 201175
> [email-masked]
>

---

From: Gilbert Cattoire <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 18:53:49 +0200

>world! Then we can open the discussions!

How they might fit : depending on the definition of "communication world".
As far as I am concerned, toying with audio and video on wireless LAn 
technology ,
bluetooth and 802.11 are indeed worth looking at.
802.11 's been used during the last Cannes film festival by Canal + 
[now famous for having joined Seagram alongside Vivendi in a a 
controversial trio] for live audio and video transmission.
It did not work that well : interference problems were, not 
surprisingly, unavoidable.
[Question of the day : how do you set up a 802.11 compliant wireless 
Lan in a microwave oven test lab ?]

However you can be sure there will be a sudden wave of interest from 
the media industry in the near future. Is that a fit worth 
considering ? Prepare yourself for a joyous salad of standards, old 
and new,  in the industry bowl. Granted, it's a fascinating 
perspective.

The cooks will again brilliantly save the situation [going back to 
gas oven ?],  the difficulty will be more in defining the proper 
business models than in integrating the technology.
 
[ Okay : It's not supposed to be the IETF's problem, or is it ? 
That's another thread I'd love to see on this list: I believe there 
are too few "hybrid projects" on the Internet, truly bringing 
engineering and business together for the sake of evolution. Do I 
make myself clear ? That's the "new economy" I believe in, and it's 
rarely the one that gets the headlines.]

Jonathan [who started the thread], what did you mean by "new viruses"?
Any fantasies about them ?

Best to all,

Gilbert

Gilbert Cattoire

==================================
+33 (0)6 08 35 15 82
[email-masked]
==================================