Subject: Re: WAP - What A Problem...

From: Alan Simpkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:04:06 -0700 (PDT)

This I can agree with, the next question that
naturally follows then is is WAP the right protocol
for a fixed wireless application, or are we talking
about yet another set of standards and protocols. I
would tend to 
think that one set should work for both.

Regards, Alan
--- John Stracke <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Alan Simpkins wrote:
> 
> > For some countries it
> > is more feasible for people to use mobile
> technology
> 
> But better still is fixed-wireless, which can
> deliver bandwidth
> more cheaply, because you have more predictable
> signal
> conditions.  Unless you're talking about nomadic
> headers getting
> online out in the Sahara--in which case, development
> money would
> be better spent on, say, reforestation.
> 
> --
>
/=================================================================\
> |John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions
> are my own.   |
> |Chief Scientist
> |================================================|
> |eCal Corp.      |"How quietly do you think we can
> nail these back|
> [email-masked]|in?" --Calvin                     
>              |
>
\=================================================================/

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from anywhere!
http://mail.yahoo.com/

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 15:07:38 -0400

Alan Simpkins wrote:

> for a fixed wireless application,

I'm pretty sure it isn't--IIRC, fixed-wireless equipment gives
point-to-point links at something like T1 speed.

In addition, the fact that all your users are running over the same
wireless link gives you some maintainability advantages.  For example,
you can monitor their bandwidth usage en masse; and you have only one
link to secure instead of one per user.  Basically the same advantages
as sharing a T1 line among 100 people instead of buying 100 modems.

--
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |"Who died and made you king?" "My father."   |
[email-masked]|                                             |
\==============================================================/

---

From: "Brijesh Kumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 15:42:11 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alan Simpkins [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2000 2:04 PM
>

WAP's working space is in cellular phones and two way pagers, i.e..,
in hand-held (or pocket kept) mobile devices in cellular environment
with fixed cell channels and continuous location update. Though TCP/IP
could have been used here too - but carriers and manufacturers of cell
phones/pagers chose not to use for reasons that have been previously
discussed here with great vigor by some folks :-).

Fixed location or limited mobility computers will most likely be
connected using WLL or specialized Wireless Broadband Internet Access
equipment or similar other options. They are no different than any
computer in the building using Wireless LAN, and should/will use
TCP/IP.  Have a look at website of Adaptive Broadband which designs
wireless Internet access equipment for ISPs.

Cheers,

--brijesh