Subject: RE: Configuration...

From: Ravichandran M <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 15:40:31 +0530

Hi,
If its only IP address, use RARP mechanism to get the IP address (this 
requires a rarp server to be in place in the same network). RARP server can 
be enabled in the Linux server. If RARP fails(after some timeout), then go 
ahead to use Bootp to get the IP address.

Regards
M.Ravichandran

-----Original Message-----
From:	Sriram Shanmugam [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Thursday, May 25, 2000 3:05 PM
To:	[email-masked]'
Subject:	Configuration...

Hai ,

	  I am developing a configuration software which should assign an IP
address for a network device  which is connected to the network for the
first time through my program .

	What is the procedure ? , should i use bootp or DHCP or ARP , please
do advice me .In case I assign only IP address in my configuration
application , can i write a common configuration software which can be used
to configure for HP , Lexmark , sharp etc etc.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
S.Sriram

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 10:19:04 +0100

>ahead to use Bootp to get the IP address.

         With all respect, RARP is a disaster operationally.  DHCP would be
a much better choice from the viewpoint of most (not all) network
operations folks in the world.

Ran