Subject: [off-topic] ASN.1 links

From: Bruno Salgueiro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 20:31:09 +0100

Dear all,

  First of all sorry for this post but I'd like to know where are any
good links around about ASN.1. This is of course important so that the
ASN.1 structures used in the RFCs and drafts can be well understood and
implemented.
  I could always download the specification from ITU but I'd like a more
practical approach.

Best regards and have a nice weekend.
-- 
=======================================================
Bruno Salgueiro       (mailto:[email-masked])
                   
SIBS - Sociedade Interbancária de Serviços
Rua Soeiro Pereira Gomes, Lote 1, 1600 Lisboa, Portugal

Tel: + 351 21 791 88 33
Fax: + 351 21 794 24 40
http://www.sibs.pt

Esta mensagem foi assinada com certificado MULTIcert.
Para obter o certificado da Autoridade de Certificação
PILOTO MULTIcert dirija-se ao site
            http://www.sibs.multicert.com

"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
                                        --Pablo Picasso
=======================================================

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 13:03:41 -0700

You might also checkout these resources:
  http://www-sop.inria.fr/rodeo/personnel/hoschka/asn1.html
  http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/
  http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/internet/asn.1.html

Also,

"A Layman's Guide to ASN.1, BER, and DER" is available from RSA Security. 
  ftp://ftp.rsasecurity.com/pub/pkcs/ascii/layman.asc (ASCII)
  ftp://ftp.rsasecurity.com/pub/pkcs/ps/layman.ps (PostScript)

Peter Gutmann's X.509 Style Guide: 
  "There seems to be a lot of confusion about how to implement
  and work with X.509 certificates, either because of ASN.1
  encoding issues, or because vagueness in the relevant standards
  means people end up taking guesses at what some of the fields
  are supposed to look like. For this reason I've put together
  these guidelines to help in creating software to work with X.509
  certificates, PKCS #10 certification requests, CRL's, and other
  ASN.1-encoded data types."
  http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/x509guide.txt 

At 08:31 PM 5/19/00 +0100, Bruno Salgueiro wrote:
>Attachment Converted: "c:\home\kurt\data files\eudora\attach\smime.p7s"
>