Subject: RE: Is WAP mobile Internet??

From: "Parkinson, Jonathan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:24:16 +0100

Okay WAP at the moment is only in its baby stage, hence a few mobile phones
have it and a few other devices, and yes at the moment its not very good,
but that's because of the current technology. I know I keep going on about
it, but, I'm sure Bluetooth can and will change the way people use WAP and
as the applications become Bluetooth enabled, WAP is a perfect way of
transmitting data. 

Have a look at
http://news6.thdo.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid%5F791000/791297.stm
Sony has said It is planning to put the Bluetooth short range wireless
technology in almost every gadget it produces making it easier to get at
data in any device, whether that is messages, music or video. 

IE
Walkmans, laptops, digital cameras and even electronic pets like the Aibo
robotic. 

WAP will be a perfect side technology for this. 

'This is just my opinion and not that of Compaq's (Yet :-))'

-----Original Message-----
From: Lars-Erik Jonsson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2000 12:54 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Is WAP mobile Internet??

Hi Folks!!

I would like to hear your opinions about how WAP people often say that WAP
is
"mobile Internet". In my opinion, WAP is NOT mobile Internet at all. The
Internet is built on the e2e principle and based on the Internet Protocols,
which WAP is not. I can not tell people that they should not use WAP (even
if I
have my opinions about WAP). If they believe in WAP that is their problem,
but
when they try to use the words WAP and Internet in the same sentence I think
it
is time to clarify a few things. I accept that WAP is there, but be honest
about
what it is.

Cheers!
/Lars-Erik (expressing my PERSONAL opinions)