Subject: Do we have a formal way to send a one-line 'email' which is it's own subject? <eom>

From: "Dave Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 11:56:57 -0700

not chat :)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 15:27:02 -0400

> not chat :)

Umm.. I don't see anything in the RFC822 syntax that prohibits a null
message body.  On most Unix systems, 

/bin/mailx -s "Your One liner here" [email-masked] < /dev/null

does what you want (modulo a "Null message body, hope thats ok") warning.

From your message headers, it appears that you're using Microsoft Outlook.
Is it prohibiting sending a null body?  If so, that's a Microsoft issue,
as null messages are, as far as I can tell, legal.

(Well... OK.. the Protocol Police will note that you actually need a number
of CR/LF pairs to properly end the RFC822 headers.  I suspect the minimal
termination to the SMTP DATA is:

<last RFC822 header> CR LF CR LF . CR LF

Although Sendmail seems to allow just one CR/LF pair before the SMTP . and
not get upset, that doesn't make it legal...

-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech

---

From: Mohsen BANAN-Public <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Jun 2000 01:00:37 -0000

>>>>> On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 11:56:57 -0700, "Dave Miller" <[email-masked]> said:

  Dave> not chat :)

Then, I assume what you are looking for is an 

  Efficient Mail Submission and Delivery Protocol (EMSD)

which is optimized for short messages.

Look at RFC-2524 and RFC-2188.

EMSD is roughly 5 times more efficient than SMTP for
short messages that fit in a one-line 'email'.

More on this later.

...Mohsen.

P.S.

What do you want this for?