Subject: The DDoS problem... handled wrong by the governments?

From: [email-masked]
Date: 19 Jun 2000 08:35:20 UT

If I look on the Homepage of the National Infrastructure Protection
Center (NIPC) http://www.nipc.gov/ (part of the FBI), I see there
are Advisory's about the diffrent Distributed denial of service tools.

But I think the way how its handled is really wrong.

Instead of "enforcing" the people who are used as amplifiers to fix
their networks there are tools to find such Denial of Service Tools
on a system. I think this Virus-Scanner acting is kinda useless since
the broadcast amplifiers are still existing, and the network admins of
small ISP's or small company's are just to lazy to upgrade their
network or don't know how (with loose of their bandwidth).

In germany I heard there is a Task Force to fix this problem by the
government too but they also want to fix the problem also by a detection
of those easy new writeable tools. In a scenario coming up the next
years there will be cellulars who flood someone, or a lot of DSL smurf
kids... this is really sad, cause e.g. a small company would just get
attacked than by a frustrated customer.

Best Regards,
Thomas

Thomas Kuiper    | [email-masked]         | www.tobit.com     __
Core Development | ICQ #8345483              |                  /__/\
Tobit Software   | PGP Key on Request        | ask your server. \__\/