Subject: Re: PIARA (IP address space economics)

From: Greg Skinner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 13:49:59 -0700 (PDT)

[email-masked] (Sean Doran) wrote:

> If steps are taken to avoid the development of a massive black
> aftermarket for IPv4 addresses overallocated by IANA et al., by providing
> the mechanisms of a "white market" -- notably a public registry of
> IP address title, with an exclusive but transferable right to
> transfer title to another party --  then I would object much less
> strenuously to your draft, since it is fundamentally PIARA, but
> with a rather odd auctioning system for the remaining not-yet-allocated
> IPv4 address space.

[...]

> How do we get it adopted quickly, and get the IANA, APNIC, ARIN and RIPE
> to IMMEDIATELY cease offering IPv4 address space to people who do
> not FULLY comply with the requirements in your More Restricted Assignment
> Plan, and the various RFCs and standards-tract documents it rests upon?

Is this an appropriate discussion for ICANN's ASO policy mailing list?
(Not that I mind reading it here.)

--gregbo