Subject: re: Financial Stnadards Work group?

From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 10:28:21 -0700

Musandu <[email-masked]> writes:

 >It may just be time for the IETF to develop a financial standards
 >work group separate from the applications work group.  I can even >forsee 
a Simple Cash Transfer Protocol? any objections?

There is an ANSI Financial Standards body (X9) which is also chair of the 
ISO Financial Standards group.

The electronic commerce payments working group (X9A10) has a draft standard 
for all electronic retail payments (debit, credit, pre-paid, electronic 
cash, etc) .. X9.59.

misc. ref

http://www.x9.org/
http://www.x9.org/main_organization.html
http://www.x9.org/subcomms/x9a/general/public/general.html
http://www.tc68.org/
http://www.x9.org/n20.html
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#224
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/8583flow.htm
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/draft-wheeler-ipki-aads-01.txt

& of course my rfc index is also at:

http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/rfcietff.htm

as well as ietf, payments, security, X9F, and financial glossaries

--
Anne & Lynn Wheeler      [email-masked], [email-masked]
   http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/  http://www.adcomsys.net/lynn/

---

From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 23:28:06 -0700

X9.59 is a financial industry standard for all account-based electronic 
retail transactions.

In the AADS strawman chip scenerio for X9.59 ... whether debit, credit, 
prepaid, etc. , the chip would sign a X9.59 transaction and work identical 
whether it was at person's PC or at point-of-sale (it works the same 
whether any ietf internet infrastructure is involved or existing financial 
network infrastructure)

Such an AADS strawman chip scenerio for X9.59 would work the same 
regardless of internet, no-internet, point-of-sale, debit, credit, 
pre-paid, bank, subscriber, isp. (the AADS strawman chip scenerio also 
works the same for non-X9.59 AADS scenerios like AADS radius, ISP 
authenticated access, webserver authenticated access, VPN authentication 
operation, etc).

There are some issues for the AADS strawman chip scnerio for X9.59, like 
contact or contactless. Contact would be standard existing chipcard 
standard and would be useable in existing chipcard contact readers. The 
contactless standards are less well accepted ... but establishing a 
contactless accepted standard would free up the AADS strawman chip to 
become form-factor agnostic (i.e. an AADS strawman chip could imbedded into 
almost any shape and be able to operate).

The AADS chip strawman scenerio for X9.59 not only proposes that it is the 
same regardless of whether it is Internet or non-internet, but also whether 
it is credit, debit, pre-paid, authenticated access, existing financial 
infrastructure, point-of-sale, who the bank is, face-to-face physical, who 
the service provider is, as well as what country that it might operate in

At 08:06 AM 5/16/2000 +0300, Musandu wrote:
>I do not quiet agree with the current standards, they are a pain in the
>neck.  E.g ( Just one example ) I want the internet debit card and the
>devices for charging them to be standard hardware available in any computer
>store.  This will allow one to chose any bank or service provider ( instead
>of your money going proprietory ): imagine buying a new modem or router
>every time you change ISPs or buying different kinds of printers for
>printing from different web sites.  That is the position of debit card
>recharging buying a new device each time you change the service provider.
>The IETF can help or do you hold alternative views  ( give me some
>recharging devices that allow change overs )??
>
>Yours sincerely,
>Nyagudi Musandu
>
>At 10:28 14/05/00 -0700, you wrote: