Subject: RTSP vs RTCP & Layered encoding with multi-RTP channels

From: Nikki Cranley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:59:13 +0100

Hi all!

I am just trying to figure out under which circumstances RTCP is more
appropriate to use than RTSP?

Also, I was thinking about using a layered encoding system to
dynamically adapt the unicast RTP transmission to the network
conditions. For this I would use say 3 or 4 different RTP channels each
sending a portion of the media file and if the network is really busy,
scaling down to just transmitting on the core media channel. For this
idea would it be better to have just the one RTCP channel reporting on
all or one per RTP channel?.

Any opinions/corrections on this would be greatly appreciated!
Rgds,
Nikki

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:38:05 -0400

> appropriate to use than RTSP?

Since the two protocols have completely different functionality this
question is about as easy to answer as asking when you would use ICMP
rather than ftp. See http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/rtp and
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/rtsp for some relevant high-level
information.

> all or one per RTP channel?.

This topic has seen many papers in the past few years. The topic is
probably best discussed on the [email-masked] list, the AVT mailing
list.

> -
> This message was passed through [email-masked], which
> is a sublist of [email-masked]. Not all messages are passed.
> Decisions on what to pass are made solely by Harald Alvestrand.

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs