Subject: CCIE

From: "mark.paton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:25:57 +0100

Forgive this spam, but I am looking for 7 CCIE's
for locations in London, Silicon Valley,
California and Tokyo.  Anyone interested please
email me back and I will forward your details to
HR.

Many thanks

Regards

Mark Paton CEO/DIR. Internet Network Eng
Mercury Network Systems Limited
+44 585 649051
+44 1256 761925
http://www.mnsl.org

"Mercury Network Systems - The Unstoppable Force"

This e-mail is intended only for the addressee
named above. As this e-mail may contain
confidential or privileged information if you are
not, or suspect that you are not, the named
addressee or the person responsible for delivering
the message to the named addressee, please
telephone us immediately. Please note that we
cannot guarantee that this message or any
attachment is virus free or has not been
intercepted and amended.

The views of the author may not necessarily
reflect those of the Company.

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:55:09 -0600

> California and Tokyo.

i can not find an rfc for "CCIE."  what is one, some kind of can opener?

randy

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:11:32 -0400

> i can not find an rfc for "CCIE."  what is one, some kind of can opener?

Given the locations, it must be some I18N standard. ;)

-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:43:16 -0400

> i can not find an rfc for "CCIE."  what is one, some kind of can opener?

Yes, exactly: a Can Consumable Ingredients Extractor.

--
/===============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own. |
|Chief Scientist |==============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |"I only wish I had time to get married myself,|
[email-masked]|as I've told m'wife many's the time."         |
\===============================================================/

---

From: "Nuno Cristelo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 18:17:04 +0100

With messages like these  you are creating "sub-spamming".

Someone sends a message like "We are looking for CCIE's". And then several
users, instead of ignoring the message, start telling jokes almost "ad
eternum". Is this right ? You are not stopping the "spam", you are
continuing the "spamming" (with a new mutation)...

For this kind of talk maybe IEFT should create a discussion group -
"alt.comp.ietf.jokes-about.spamming". or "alt.comp.ietf.ccie-jokes".

Best regards,

Nuno Cristelo

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 19:07:56 +0100 (BST)

> > Yes, exactly: a Can Consumable Ingredients Extractor.

Great.

Please employ him to deal with all this tinned spam we're being
deluged with.

L.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

---

From: "Kevin Lahey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:36:16 -0700

In message <[email-masked]>,
>email me back and I will forward your details to

This is an inappropriate message for this mailing list.  If you'd
like to see the kinds of messages that are appropriate, here's
the archive of traffic for the last month:

---

From: Murali K Viswanathan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 18:18:32 -0500 (CDT)

Wow, look at what all the top network professionals/researchers in the
world are upto!? Networking is happening or what. Just when one thought we
had seen the last of the CCIEs there comes another one. If a spam on CCIE
draws the interest of the folks subscribing to ietf, then being a grad
student I need to follow the steps of the people I aspire to be.

So here we go, one more to the list. If anyone else has been holding back
from sending email for a long while now, showing some consideration to the
people on the list, please do not do so. You can get amazing relief by
contributing to the list and getting to feel one among them.
  
Lets build the networks for the future - that can take all the spam.
Mur

TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF MY LIFE
Murali K Viswanathan
Grad. Student, Electrical and Computer Eng.,
Iowa State Univ., Ames, IA - 50011.

---

From: "Kurt Weber" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 22:07:44 -0500

OK...what was the point of that message?  It took me 7 minutes to download
on a 56k modem.  Not all of us have 45-megabit connections.  If you want to
send it to him, fine, but please don't send that to everyone else.  It
crashed my entire system five times just because it ran out of memory.

Regards,
Kurt Weber
[email-masked]
ROW Software and Web Design
http://www.rowsw.com

---

From: "Yixin Zhu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 08:54:08 -0500

Hi,

My company is interested in joining IETF and ITU-T standard body, Can some
one here tell me what are the procedures and fees ?  Your help is greatly
appreciated.

Regards,

Yixin (James) Zhu

[email-masked]
Visit us at www.xybridge.com

---

From: Mark Atwood <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Jun 2000 07:19:25 -0700

> one here tell me what are the procedures and fees ?  Your help is greatly

IETF is easy. Join some mailing lists, have useful things to say,
and show up at the meetings.

-- 
Mark Atwood   | It is the hardest thing for intellectuals to understand, that
[email-masked] | just because they haven't thought of something, somebody else
              | might. <http://www.friesian.com/rifkin.htm>
http://www.pobox.com/~mra

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:26:53 -0400

> and show up at the meetings.

Hmm.. and here I thought the meetings were optional unless you were running
for a WG chair or something? 

I happen to know that a number of other recognizable names on this list
have never actually been seen at an IETF meeting.  If you've met me at
an IETF meeting, it was an alien impostor. ;)

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 09:50:13 -0500

On 6/15/00 at 8:54 AM -0500, Yixin Zhu wrote:

>My company is interested in joining IETF

As a matter of fact, your company cannot join the IETF; the IETF is 
made up of individuals, not companies.

For an individual to join the IETF, just sign up for one of the IETF 
mailing lists. See <http://www.ietf.org/join.html>

pr
-- 
Pete Resnick <mailto:[email-masked]>
Eudora Engineering - QUALCOMM Incorporated

---

From: Dhaval Shah <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 07:58:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Check out www.ietf.org

Dhaval

---

From: Pankaj K Jha <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 08:55:52 -0700

Yixin:

There is no such thing as IETF membership, it is free; you only pay ($325-$425) if
you come to meetings that are held every few months. Go to www.ietf.org. Best way
to keep posted is to join some mailing lists in your areas of interest. Surf
around the mailing lists and draft submissions and you'll be able to gather a lot
of information.

For ITU-T, go to www.itu.ch. You should be able to find membership info there.

To Valdis & Mark:

Both of you did your part of email exchanges, but did not bother to properly
answer the question that was asked.

Keep in mind that the person is asking for a genuine help. Also, do not think that
it's funny and amazing that someone does not know these 'basic' rules of life such
as how to join IETF/ITU-T. There is no rocket science here. There is always a
first time, and then you realize it's no big deal at all.

If you can't answer someone's questions, please do not jump to your keyboard to
type something that you think is filled with a great sense of humor (it's actually
not,  regardless of how many times you put the smiley letters) and send to entire
IETF community.

It's truly irritating that people do not spend their time responding to technical
issues, but they are so fast in responding to non-tech and spam emails. Maybe
after typing some 'funny' response they can go home thinking they 'contributed'
something to IETF today. This is just my guess, I have no clue what drives some
people. I  notice that replies to spams and non-technical issues (that does not
require much thinking) always come quickly and come usually from people whose
names I never see otherwise in discussions. There are exceptions, but this is a
general observation.

You can reply to this email, but please DO NOT start any chain on this email, this
is not a spam. Use your time doing something useful.

Pankaj

[email-masked] wrote:

>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>    Part 1.2Type: application/pgp-signature

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 12:23:47 -0400

> issues, but they are so fast in responding to non-tech and spam emails. Maybe

Perhaps the replies to technical issues are just as fast, but are taking place
in other venues than the main IETF list.  I'll admit that I've not posted much
to the IETF-SMTP or IETF-822 mailing lists of late, but they've been pretty
quiet.  The big discussion regarding RFC1191 Path MTU Discovery is currently
over on the NANOG list (which isn't an IETF list, but that's where it's going
on at the moment).  I expect that technical discussion of Lahey's ietf-draft
regarding Path MTU Discovery will go on someplace else other than this list
as well.

On a related note, I noticed that IETF draft announcements do *NOT* list
a vector pointing to where discussion of the draft should be directed.
Although the author's address is available down in the draft, should there
be a 'Discussion regarding this draft should go to mailto:list@wherever'
field?

---

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 13:41:44 -0400

However, your company can become an orgnaizational member of the
Internet Society which, to some extent, acts as an umbrella
organiztion for the IETF and pays for some IETF related activities.
See <http://www.isoc.org>.

Donald

From:  Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Message-Id:  <[email-masked]>
In-Reply-To:  <[email-masked]>
References:  <[email-masked]>
Date:  Thu, 15 Jun 2000 09:50:13 -0500
To:  "Yixin Zhu" <[email-masked]>
Cc:  <[email-masked]>