Subject: Re: IPv6: Past mistakes repeated?

From: "J. Noel Chiappa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 17:45:12 -0400

> From: Greg Skinner <[email-masked]>

    > There was a similar discussion here about five years ago where some
    > people proposed market models for address allocation and routing.
    > Unfortunately, it's not in the archives.

I think it was on CIDRD, actually, no?

    > If anyone has this discussion archived, could they please point me to
    > it?

Well, one thing I do have is the draft of: "Suggestions for Market-Based
Allocation of IP Address Blocks", by Paul Resnick (then of AT&T Research, I
don't know where he is now - Paul, you out there?), which I have at:

    http://ana-3.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/addr_charging.txt

It never turned into an RFC (shame, I thought it was a really well thought
out draft), and I don't think it's anywhere else permanent.

	Noel

---

From: Greg Skinner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 07:44:22 -0700 (PDT)

> I think it was on CIDRD, actually, no?

I don't think so.  I vaguely recall at some point in the discussion,
it was also suggested that IP addresses be maintained as trusteeships.
At any rate, thanks to all for the links.

--gregbo