Subject: Acronims' ambiquity

From: "salavat" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 12:05:03 +0100

Hello

I am a bit confused by the acronims used in IETF drafts, e.g. in some places
SPI stands for Security Parameter Index, in others Indentifier. The same
with ESP (Payload or Protocol). There are a lot of such acronims, and
although in shown examples it does not make much difference I met several
very confusing. Is there any document specifying the use and meaning of
acronims?

Regards
Salavat R. Magazov

---

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 10:02:04 -0400

> There are a lot of such acronims, and although in shown examples it
> does not make much difference I met several very confusing. Is there
> any document specifying the use and meaning of acronims?

"The Tao of IETF" gives the meaning of some acronyms, but in general I
imagine that it would be a big job to maintain an up-to-date list of
IETF acronyms.

A good Internet-Draft will either footnote its buzzwords on the first
use or include a terminology section at the beginning.  But
Internet-Drafts are not filtered, so nothing prevents someone from
publishing a draft which is incomprehensible for whatever reason.

---

From: Pete Loshin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 11:11:06 -0400

>very confusing. Is there any document specifying the use and meaning of

Check out FYI 36 (RFC 2828), "Internet Security Glossary" for canonical
definitions.

-pl

+-------------------------------------------------------------+
| Pete Loshin                    http://Internet-Standard.com |
|                                                             |
| _IPv6 Clearly Explained_ Morgan Kaufmann January 1999       |
| _TCP/IP Clearly Explained_ 3rd ed Morgan Kaufmann June 1999 |
|                                                             |
+-------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Salvador Vidal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 18:38:19 +0200

Hello,

At 12:05 01/06/00 +0100, Salavat R. Magazov wrote:
>Hello
>
>I am a bit confused by the acronims used in IETF drafts, e.g. in >some
places...

IETF works and discussions formats are very important not only because the
task but also because it can serves as guide to other technicals
discusions, so they can adapt IETF way to their fields.

So just as an example I write what format I like:
I want hypertext anywhere, by anywhere I mean anywhere, not only where the
author puts it, but in any single word, picture ... and in any draft,
e-mail or whatever.
More, I want oriented (multiple) hiperlinks, sometimes you click in an idea
because you don´t understand it asking for an explanation, others you want
to get deep in this idea asking for more arguments or examples about it,
others you are esceptical and you want critics about it ..., so perhaps
someone will foresee a kind of metahiperlink as way to explain why I click
there and drive me to the apropiate hiperlink, with this I will have
sensitive case hiperlinks to:

-The hiperlink that the author creates, as usual.

-A link to a search engine with word wich I click and the context of this
word as arguments.

-Links created by other people (not the author) to their interpretations,
critize.. of the work, scientific spirit not only acept critics but impulse
them, I think that an author that acept that others put links in his work
probes his scientific spirit, but one thing is impulse critics and other to
see your work full of links to porn sites, so I think that the owner of the
information has the right to stop abuse of this, the information owner not
necesary means the author, i.e.: I think that the works and discusions at
IETF are property of IETF, so must follow the rules of IEFT, I mean the
rules that IEFT people want to follow not what the IEFT liders say but this
other history...

-A link to my local dictionary, of course I need them to complete my
diccionary with the IEFT one, I think IEFT dictionary is a group work so
people must introduce the new words on it when they create them, but this
need a moderator that say: Hey Salva diccionary is not a new word, Helsinky
is not a new city,..., please learn orthography before new words
introduction!. 

-...

Best Regards,
Salva