Subject: Re: RFCs in print

From: "Robert G. Ferrell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 12:07:49 -0500 (CDT)

>> I am particularly interested in hearing about whether such collections are
>> helpful or not. And if not, what would be more helpful.

Perhaps a collection of RFCs would be a good candidate for an eBook.  Easier 
to accomodate the continual evolution of the documents than with 
traditional print.

RGF

Robert G. Ferrell, CISSP
Information Systems Security Officer
National Business Center, US DoI
[email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------
Not an official statement by any entity of the US Government
------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 18:50:27 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Robert G. Ferrell wrote:

> Perhaps a collection of RFCs would be a good candidate for an eBook. 

Well, building some scripted web service based on a regular cron/at
job that collates a bunch of text RFCs together from an RFC mirror
that have been identified as being in a common area, parses the
RFC-index looking for 'obsoleted' updates, sticks a load of
introductory material and use-by-date disclaimers on the front, and
spits out a postscript file that is psbooked, ps2pdf'd, and dumped on
a webserver doesn't strike me as difficult.

(of course, you'd get a better book by going from the original nroff
 sources...)

Might even make useful primers for various courses.

L.

thinks an ebook is the delivery mechanism, not the end reader.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>