Subject: RE: Domain name organization recommendation

From: "Parkinson, Jonathan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:54:06 +0100

Hi there
	Its already set up link that, Not that I can ever recall seeing a
.us. The example that you have used myco.mytown.mystate.us. is a trick on.
It is in reality www.mystate.us the rest are virtual Server adress's (Sub
domains)

But yes from what I have seen the US tend to use .COM as default.

Jon

-----Original Message-----
From: Andre-John Mas [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 4:11 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Domain name organization recommendation

Hi,

 I was wondering if anybody has written a documentation that examines
 the usability of national domain names and provides advice on what 
 approaches are actually useable. For example, I recently had a
discussion
 with some people on the .us domain on how unusable it is due to the
length
 of the domain names - myco.mytown.mystate.us. How about having .com.us,
 .edu.us, and accepting that anything without a country extension is
should
 now be reserved for international use, contrary to what the original
RFC
 said on the use of the .com, .edu, .gov domain names.

 Andre

---

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 12:24:19 -0400

> .us. 

you have now.

					- Bill

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 13:00:08 -0400

> It is in reality www.mystate.us the rest are virtual Server adress's (Sub

What are you trying to say here? All domains except "." are subdomains.

--
/===============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own. |
|Chief Scientist |==============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |"If it failed then, there's no reason to think|
[email-masked]|we can't make it fail now." -- Colin Benson   |
\===============================================================/

---

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 12:03:34 -0500

> > Its already set up link that, Not that I can ever recall seeing a .us. 
> 
> you have now.
> 					- Bill

And what was that nonsense they were spewing about www.state.us?

And if .us is "unusable", how did it get to be the third most common
country-code domain, with all those three-letter TLDs competing with
it?  Hm?

Case (and plaintiffs) dismissed.

			[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall R. Stewart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 15:44:11 -0500

> >       Its already set up link that, Not that I can ever recall seeing a
And of course you can see one over
here as well :-)

Also 

www.stewart.chicago.il.us

and coming soon..

www.sctp.chicago.il.us

R
-- 
Randall R. Stewart
[email-masked]