Subject: Re. Email Privacy eating software

From: Lillian Komlossy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:09:54 -0400

The 'saga' continues... Read Janet Reno's input in all this.
"Reno: Web 'Wiretap' Review Underway" by AP:
http://wire.ap.org/APnews/?SITE=NYTRO&FRONTID=HOME

Looks like the feds are developing a real "love affair" for the electronic
mail.
"White House Is Retrieving E-Mails" by AP:
http://wire.ap.org/APnews/?SITE=VTRUT&FRONTID=HOME

>Jon Crowfort wrote:

>"the reason the UK bill is confused is that it was written by
>telephants - people who probably lost their jobs as the tradditonal
>phone business goes marginal..."

I've been wondering what to call them but you came up with the perfect name!
Telephants!
Pease note they do not all exist only in the UK or US but all over the World
and there are a lot more 'telephants' out there today than technically apt
(call them 'Digiphants'?) people. I think it goes not only by knowledge but
acceptance or attitude toward the new changes IT brings to the World, one of
which is refining old boundaries.
Most of the poiticians, lawmakers and even law enforcers - especially in
higher levels - still believe the 'old ways' - or so they say. Problem is
you can not govern or rule something you don't understand - and they are way
high up in the ranks already to just go and ask questions. That is how some
of the dumbest laws and 'actions' were even born (remember the "Exxon law"?
How about the german judge at CompuServe in 1995?) 
My point in all this is - we need the gov't but it has to be the gov' we
need in these days and time. They should not scan emails of their citizens
unless they have a good reason and especially a court issued warrant to do
so. Imagine the police blocing off an entire block and search every house,
building, apartment because they 'think' that there might be a criminal
activity in one of them?
The new technologies, the Internet and the ease of communication now is
re-defining the boundaries the World used to live by. Old boundaries are
going to be gone, and new ones defined. This is the time law and law
enforcement is re-defining it's boudaries as well and we have to watch where
those boundaries are going to be - or else we can end up in a system where
we will only read about freedom in story books or worse yet just whisper
about it when no one can hear. A lot depends on us now - history is still in
the making.

Cheers and have a good weekend everybody,

Lillian

Lillian Komlossy || Site Manager || http://www.dmnews.com ||
http://www.imarketingnews.com || 212 925-7300 ext. 232 ||
mailto:[email-masked]