Subject: RE: Email Privacy eating software

From: "David A. Higginbotham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 15:15:42 -0400

When is one oppressed such that fighting is appropriate? Where does one
begin this fight should such a point be reached?

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Lloyd [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2000 2:38 PM
To: David A. Higginbotham
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Email Privacy eating software

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, David A. Higginbotham wrote:

> I can not disagree, however, where does the responsibility to ensure
liberty
> lay, and what is required to ensure said liberty? specifically, what may
be
> suggested that one do, assuming bearing arms is inappropriate, to ensure
> email privacy in particular and 'internet' liberty in general?

If you cannot fight back against oppression, you have already lost.  I
believe that the Jewish people in Europe learned that lesson in a rather
painful manner some time back.  Of course, *our* government would *never*
try to abridge our rights in the name of The Greater Good.  The corolary
would be that the government always has our (collective) best interests at
heart and therefore fighting back is never appropriate.

Personally, I satisfy my desire for privacy by using strong encryption
wherever possible.  I sure hope I am not hurting any feelings at the FBI.

This is a subject of great interest but probably not relevant to the
purpose of this specific group.

Brian Lloyd
[email-masked]
+1.530.676.6513

---

From: Brian Lloyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:37:42 -0700

>begin this fight should such a point be reached?

I will be happy to discuss my views on this with you but my feeling is that 
it is not an appropriate topic of discussion for the IETF list.

Brian Lloyd                          Lucent Technologies
[email-masked]                      3461 Robin Lane, Suite 1
http://www.livingston.com            Cameron Park, CA  95682
+1.530.676.6513 - voice              +1.530.676.3442 - fax