Subject: RE: WAP - What A Problem...

From: Phil Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 16:38:04 +0100

> But I have been astonished by the degree of adoption of SMS (in UK) by 
> school children who purchase their own pre-pay mobile phones (for about 
> $50-100).  SMS may be awkward, but the per-use cost is  is very low, and 
> totally predictable.  And the users in this case soon learn to handle the 
> "inadequate" user interface.
> 
I have to agree, my daughter can type at astonishing speed on her cell phone
- it is a good way for me to keep in touch with her
P.

________________________________________________________________________
This message has been checked for all known viruses, by Star Internet, 
delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre. 
For further information visit:
http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp

---

From: "Taylor, Johnny" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 14:32:10 -0400

I like that close!

-----Original Message-----
From: Gilbert Cattoire [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2000 1:12 PM
To: Anthony Atkielski; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: WAP - What A Problem...

At 18:29 +0200 29/06/00, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
>I don't understand why so much effort is expended on things like WAP when
>99% of the real world still doesn't have any access at all to the Internet,
>much less wireless access.  And even of those who do, most have such slow
>connections that even download a simple test page is an ordeal.

Refreshing...

>
>I know it's not very sexy to drop the blue-sky toys, but doesn't anyone
ever
>work on improving and democratizing existing infrastructure instead of
>widening the gap between what people really have and what looks cool in the
>lab?

Yes indeed. It would be interesting to know how many of us on this 
list agree with you.

Yet again, as I just mentioned in an earlier post, isn't it a matter 
regarding business models rather than technology?
What looks cool in the lab is quite often related to what is dear to 
investors'eyes.
WAP is just such a thing, regardless of technical niceties : a closed 
proprietary system built for a closed business model blessed with 
himalayan piles of cash.
Is it healthy ? With the Internet spirit in mind, does anyone need to 
dwell in the intricacies of gateways and so on to answer this 
question ? I would suggest this daring task : when in doubt, reboot 
your mindset.

best to all,

Gilbert Cattoire

==================================
+33 (0)6 08 35 15 82
[email-masked]
==================================