Subject: Email Privacy eating software

From: Lillian Komlossy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 15:31:58 -0400

The following articles describe an email reading software Big Bro is
apparently already using. I think this is more than appropriate to start a
discussion about.

While it can be a powerful tool in the right hands, my three concerns about
this are:
	1. Privacy of course - just the same way you don't want somebody
reading your snail mail - for all intents and purposes email is not
different.
	2. Who oversees the agents in terms of - who are they going to go
after - bad guys, or maybe political opponents?
	3. How long before the software will collect 'other' information as
well - and sell -ah pardon me: "make it available" to "valuable third party
companies" ?

Make up your own mind, here are the links:
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2601502,00.html
and
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2601960,00.html

Lillian Komlossy || Site Manager || http://www.dmnews.com ||
http://www.imarketingnews.com || 212 925-7300 ext. 232 ||
mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: "Anthony Atkielski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:44:03 +0200

I don't understand why the FBI feels that it needs to have a top-secret
black box attached to the ISP's network.  Why not just have the ISP provide
a copy of all e-mail to or from the specified mailbox?

---

From: Steven Cotton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 12:30:48 +0200 (CEST)

> a copy of all e-mail to or from the specified mailbox?

Because other people will know when they're snooping.

-- 
steven

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 12:03:11 +0100

In message <01dc01bfed78$0e7a55a0$0a00000a@contactdish>, Anthony Atkielski type

 >>a copy of all e-mail to or from the specified mailbox?

wiretap is a weapon in the FBI's armoury

in the US, YOU have the right to bear arms

You should demand the constitutional right to wiretap the FBI and CIA and so 
on right now.

that will fix things.

j.

---

From: "Phil Neumiller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 06:50:32 -0500

I like this idea!  Yeah, if we can reclassify black boxes as munitions, as
the NSA has
done to encryption for years, then we can claim that we have the "right to
bear black
boxes".

This is great!

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:15:07 -0400

> done to encryption for years, then we can claim that we have the "right to

...just like we have the right to own nuclear weapons.

--
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |You buttered your bread, now lie in it.      |
[email-masked]|                                             |
\==============================================================/