Subject: RE: Defining "Internet" (or "internet")

From: TSIGARIDAS PANAGIOTIS <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 09:30:30 +0300

I found this definition in the  INTEROP Book of Carl Malamud.

The Internet (note the uppercase "I') is a network infrastructure that
supports reasearch, engineering, education, and commercial services. The
word internet (with a lowercase "i") refers to any interconnected set of
substrates (provided, of course, they are running the  internetwork protocol
IP)  

Panagiotis Tsigaridas 

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Brunner [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2000 8:30 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Defining "Internet" (or "internet")

The Swedish legal definition (Patrik provided the pointer) may not be the
only one which attempts to define what "Internet" is, fixed or broken, er,
"mobile".

Anyone else with a normative legal reference, your favorite jurisdiction or
someone else's, please drop me a line. I'll summarize to the list.

Eric

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 10:04:04 -0700

> TSIGARIDAS PANAGIOTIS wrote:
> 
> supports reasearch, engineering, education, and commercial services.
> The word internet (with a lowercase "i") refers to any interconnected
> set of substrates (provided, of course, they are running the
> internetwork protocol IP)

internet is just a truncation of internetwork, but it has come to mean
'runs IP' (and a few others, e.g., ICMP).

Internet = usually defined as a transitive closure, as in
	'speaks IP and is connected to another site already on the Internet'

	where the base-case is usually defined as the NSF-funded backbone
pre-1988

There are certainly internets that support the services above, but are
not connected to the "Cap-I Internet".

Joe