Subject: Re: Defining "Internet" (or "internet")

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 16:09:53 -0700

I always thought that Internet with capital "I" meant the Internet between
countries, whilst the internet with a lower case "i"  is referred to by the
press as an intranet within a corporate structure. Both run IP but within
different environments.

Just my 2 cents.........

Jim

**************************************************************************************
       Legal Disclaimer

The opinions expressed within this mail are specifically my own and in no way
refer to or relate to any
ongoing business and/or the technical direction of 3Com Corporation, or any
subsidiary companies or
business units within 3Com Corporation and its subsidiaries.

**************************************************************************************

Joe Touch <[email-masked]> on 07/07/2000 10:04:04 AM

Sent by:  Joe Touch <[email-masked]>

To:   TSIGARIDAS PANAGIOTIS <[email-masked]>
cc:   Eric Brunner <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Jim
      Stephenson-Dunn/C/HQ/3Com)
Subject:  Re: Defining "Internet" (or "internet")

> TSIGARIDAS PANAGIOTIS wrote:
>
> I found this definition in the  INTEROP Book of Carl Malamud.
>
> The Internet (note the uppercase "I') is a network infrastructure that
> supports reasearch, engineering, education, and commercial services.
> The word internet (with a lowercase "i") refers to any interconnected
> set of substrates (provided, of course, they are running the
> internetwork protocol IP)

internet is just a truncation of internetwork, but it has come to mean
'runs IP' (and a few others, e.g., ICMP).

Internet = usually defined as a transitive closure, as in
     'speaks IP and is connected to another site already on the Internet'

     where the base-case is usually defined as the NSF-funded backbone
pre-1988

There are certainly internets that support the services above, but are
not connected to the "Cap-I Internet".

Joe

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 10:15:34 +0859 ()

Jim;

> press as an intranet within a corporate structure. Both run IP but within

They are same.

							Masataka Ohta