Subject: Re: Complaint to Dept of Commerce on abuse of users by ICANN

From: Greg Skinner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 08:02:11 -0700 (PDT)

Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]> wrote:

> William Allen Simpson wrote:

>> The users of the Internet have access to several free browsers that
>> support frames on a dozen platforms.  Folks that are unable to use
>> the Internet are not an appropriate electorate.  Lazy kindergartners
>> are not the target audience for ICANN membership.

> I do hope this isn't the official ICANN view. I imagine that
> a disability discrimination lawsuit would soon follow.

> how many text-to-speech audio browsers support frames well?

Support for the disabled does seem to be a concern in some quarters;
for example, see

http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Software/Internet/World_Wide_Web/Browsers/Lynx/

The secure registration page requires https, which isn't available in lynx
as far as I know.

I am wondering if it might make sense going forward to allow an email
submission.  Email is for the most part a queued delivery mechanism, so it
is not necessary for the user to resubmit an html form if the server is
busy.

--gregbo

---

From: ross <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 11:34:15 -0400 (EDT)

lynxssl is available....

Lynx Version 2.7.1ac-0.50-SSL0.8.1-RSAREF2.0 (1997)
Copyrights held by the University of Kansas, CERN, and other contributors.
Distributed under the GNU General Public License.
See http://lynx.browser.org/ and the online help for more information.

..ross
0x75,0x75,0x6e,0x65,0x74

---

From: "vinton g. cerf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 11:35:36 -0400

Greg,

I am a strong proponent of developing and implementing accessibility
guidelines. The ICANN election has simply overwhelmed the available
resources - but I think the follow-on study absolutely should take into
account accessibility concerns.

vint

>is not necessary for the user to resubmit an html form if the server is

=================================================================
I moved to a new MCI WorldCom facility on Nov 11, 1999

MCI WorldCom
22001 Loudoun County Parkway
Building F2, Room 4115, ATTN: Vint Cerf
Ashburn, VA 20147
Telephone (703) 886-1690
FAX (703) 886-0047

"INTERNET IS FOR EVERYONE!" 
INET 2001: Internet Global Summit 
5-8 June 2001 
Sweden International Fairs 
Stockholm, Sweden 
http://www.isoc.org/inet2001

---

From: Kent Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:10:16 -0700

> The secure registration page requires https, which isn't available in lynx

1) The web page does NOT use frames -- as far as I know, there are no frames 
in the entire ICANN site; 

2) the secure registration page is OPTIONAL; you can register through a
nonsecure path. 

-- 
Kent Crispin                               "Do good, and you'll be
[email-masked]                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain

---

From: Michael Sondow <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 19:03:07 -0400

vinton g. cerf wrote:

> I think the follow-on study absolutely should take into

More Cerf newspeak (like "Internet for everyone"). Accessibility
concerns = 90% of those wishing to join the At-large membership
turned away because ICANN wouldn't spend a little money upgrading
the sign-up website.

Why wouldn't they? Simply because the At-large membership means
nothing anyway, now that they have been deprived of any power by the
new bylaws depriving them of a vote on anything but the minority (5
out of eighteen) At-large directors, who will anyway be nominated by
the ICANN Nominating Committee. (Nothing has been left to chance.)

============================================================
Michael Sondow           I.C.I.I.U.     http://www.iciiu.org
Tel. (718)846-7482                        Fax: (603)754-8927
============================================================